MEMOIRS OF A BOND FAN

edited May 2012 in Fan Creations Posts: 3,333
Don't know what any of you will think about this book but if you've got £7.99 / $11 to spare and are in need of something Bondish to read then this might be of interest....

From the offbeat vantage point of a movie-obsessed teenager whose grandfather was chauffeur to legendary 007 producer Albert R. Broccoli, CATCHING BULLETS – MEMOIRS OF A BOND FAN is a love-letter to James Bond, Duran Duran title songs and bolting down your tea quick enough to watch Roger Moore falling out of a plane without a parachute.

When Jimmy O'Connell took a job as chauffeur for 007 producers Eon Productions, it would not just be Cubby Broccoli, Roger Moore and Sean Connery he would drive to James Bond. His grandson Mark swiftly hitches a ride on a humorous journey of filmic discovery where Bond movies fire like bespoke bullets at a Reagan-era Catholic childhood marked with divorce, a closet-gay adolescence sound-tracked by John Barry and an adult life as a comedy writer still inspired by that Broccoli movie magic.

“Mark O’Connell is a great new writing talent and we are delighted to be publishing his first book,” says Splendid Books’ Editorial Director Shoba Vazirani. “CATCHING BULLETS is very funny and he brings a genuinely new insight into the Bond film phenomena.

“The book is a fascinating journey, in which Mark reconsiders all the Bond films as they fire into his and everyone’s cinema-going memories.”

Published by SPLENDID BOOKS on 3rd September 2012 (UK / US)

http://www.splendidbooks.co.uk/books/catching-bullets-memoirs-of-a-bond-fan/

Comments

so this dude was gay during his childhood?
    so this dude was gay during his childhood?

I don't see anything about a "gay childhood" (the blurb says he was closeted during his adolescence) but as he would obviously be gay from birth it seems natural...

Could be an interesting book - could you imagine being young, discovering the Bond films, and then realizing that your Grandfather knew "James Bond"? It would be the equivalent of winning the lottery for a young boy! I'm curious if his Grandfather was able to ever introduce him to the actors or take him to the studio.

Why was it necessary to include the authors sexual orientation in this book? I find it unnecessary and quite repulsive. I have nothing against gay men, , in fact I have met alot of nice gay men during my tenure as a circus acrobat, but I find it absolutely unnecessary to include something of this nature in a book of this format, seems like a easy way to be modern and hip for a few dollars. Anyway who wants to talk about the curse of the Bruce Lee family?
  • RC7RC7
    @TouchMyButtons it's simply implying his childhood was not necessarily a walk in the park and reading between the lines the only constant comfort is Bond. Growing up homosexual in a catholic family is not exactly a piece of piss.

Why the repulsion? That's two threads I've seen you in today where you've acted in a reactionary fashion, seemingly in a homophobic and racist manner. I'm a heterosexual White man and I find some of your comments ill judged. Maybe have a think before your next brain fart.