Are they pulling more stuff from the novels now than they've done before?

CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
edited May 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 8,009
I just realised something while watching the trailer. The interrogation scene reminds me of The Man with the Golden Gun. Could Skyfall be pulling bits from the novels, just like they used to? They're exploring Bonds inner psyche now, and that novel was all about psyche. Could Skyfall see Bond thrust into a mission after disappearing off the grid for a long time? Would explain the beard anyway, although I doubt they'll include the whole brainwashing scenario. Sorry if its been said already, was just curious. Is it a good thing that they're working bits of the novels into original stories? I think it's a nice touch. Any thoughts?

Comments

• I was thinking earlier, if that guy questioning him is Sir James Moloney, it'll bring a huge smile to my face :-)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Yes, I had the same reaction. I hope so because there's good stuff in that novel yet to be mined by the films.
    When I saw that scene, I thought Bond might have been captured and held prisoner only to be rescued by Mi6 like at the beginning of DAD. That would explain why he was treated in that way.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    When I saw that scene, I thought Bond might have been captured and held prisoner only to be rescued by Mi6 like at the beginning of DAD. That would explain why he was treated in that way.

Yeah that's understandable but I honestly doubt they'd reuse such an obvious plot point less than ten years after it first came up.
    If it is taken from TMWTGG, it could be that:
    Silva has brainwashed Bond but didn't get so far as to erase the memories of Skyfall/Bond's ancestral home and history. M, via the psychiatrist, could be trying to figure out how much of Bond's original self still remains.

If so, this could be very exciting indeed.
  • It wouldn't be that big a stretch to imagine the novels were more of an influence this time, both DC
    and Mendes said that the extended break between the movies gave them a chance to re-read the books, so perhaps even sub consciously they've brought elements in from Fleming.
    I was thinking earlier, if that guy questioning him is Sir James Moloney, it'll bring a huge smile to my face :-)

That's the kind of little detail that would be perfect for the 50th anniversary...

• im thinking the start of SF will channel the novel of YOLT where Bond is suffering from bouts of 'accidie' and may even be outside of SIS now and is brought back in because he's the only one M can really trust now.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Sign it up for the next Bond film. As long as it's OK, that is.
  • Are they ever going to use Property of a Lady? The Dalton bashing has calmed down now, so I liked to see that movie made.
    Are they ever going to use Property of a Lady? The Dalton bashing has calmed down now, so I liked to see that movie made.

I hope so! And the other unused titles like Risico and The Hildebrand Rarity.

For Property Of A Lady, I like the idea of the organisation Quantum being the property of a woman at the head of it?

Risico could be the name of a villain?

As for The Hildebrand Rarity? Perhaps some sort of scientific discovery? Or threat?

All i know is i hope they use them whilst DC is here? He could certainly do two of them i reckon? Anyone else with ideas on how the unused titles could be worked into a movie?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Risico would make for a great one word title follow up to Skyfall.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 5,921
    I have no doubt they will use at least The Property of a Lady and Risico. I was surprised they went for an original title for Skyfall--until I saw the trailer. "Risico" doesn't swap in easily for "Skyfall" in the interrogation.

And since Quantum of Solace made the cut, I wouldn't bet against The Hildebrand Rarity.

They're probably just waiting until they have stories that fit these titles.
    I just realised something while watching the trailer. The interrogation scene reminds me of The Man with the Golden Gun. Could Skyfall be pulling bits from the novels, just like they used to? They're exploring Bonds inner psyche now, and that novel was all about psyche. Could Skyfall see Bond thrust into a mission after disappearing off the grid for a long time? Would explain the beard anyway, although I doubt they'll include the whole brainwashing scenario. Sorry if its been said already, was just curious. Is it a good thing that they're working bits of the novels into original stories? I think it's a nice touch. Any thoughts?

It's funny, I thought something similar. It reminded me of both the novels TMWTGG and YOLT. I don't think they'll go the route Fleming took yet and have Bond come back after disappearing for a while, or have him brainwashed or anything like that, but the psychiatrist reminded me of the character of James Moloney. And I thought maybe they will use events hinted in the novel TMWTGG: M's predecessor being murdered...

• edited June 2012 Posts: 2,341
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Risico would make for a great one word title follow up to Skyfall.

Risico was one of the short stories in the book FYEO. However, they did use portions of this story along with elements of FYEO in the film FYEO. Recall that the smugglers, Kristotos and Colombo are both characters in Risico. I doubt they would ever use that title, but Craig's films are a re boot so it's possible.
    I would like to see Property of a Lady made (and at the end of Skyfall announce that it will be the next title)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I certainly hope so. The stuff Mendes brought up at the conference has me intrigued.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    it seems like it... but even during the Brosnan years, it seemed like very small bits from some of the post Fleming novels were used (if not directly used then some of the coincidences are interesting)... so i have no doubt that they still go back and pull what little they can - which is why i think EON has quickly snatched up the rights to the 2 most recent Bond novels DMC, and CB... though they might not make direct adaptations and/or use the titles - having the rights not only prevents other filmmakers from attempting to use the material, but it also gives them new resources, should they chose to use it.
  • RC7RC7
    The intro to TMWTGG is one of my favourite parts of any Fleming novel. I absolutely love it. In fact, I think I mentioned in a thread on here once that it was the one aspect of the novels I'd love to see translated to screen. It could have great impact if done properly.

I have admit I also wondered whether this might be the case when I saw the interrogation scene in the trailer. I like your theory @echo, although most of me feels this is wishful thinking.
  • im thinking the start of SF will channel the novel of YOLT where Bond is suffering from bouts of 'accidie' and may even be outside of SIS now and is brought back in because he's the only one M can really trust now.

Sam Mendes often spoke about how Fleming mentioned accidie in his novels but he never attributed the emotion to Bond. Tracy and Blofeld are both said to suffer from it but not Bond.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Yes, I'm very glad to say that they are (finally) using much more material from the cornerstone of Bondism that are the original Bond novels by Ian Fleming. Long may it continue!