Rip Donna Summer

edited May 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 2,782

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18108052

Another legend gone. Thank you Donna I will always feel love for you.

Comments

I met her once, mid-80s. Terrific woman.

RIP
    Only just found out about this sad loss on here! Sad sad news indeed. RIP Donna.
    She would have made a great Bond theme back in the Moore era. At least she lived a more productive life than the likes of Amy Winehouse.
    RIP Donna, sad news. I feel love, classic tune.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 7,653
    She was awesome, may she disco all the way to heaven, it is no longer missing an Angel. O:-)

SHe also worked with John Barry:

And this how it sounded with Donna:

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    LeChiffre wrote:
    She would have made a great Bond theme back in the Moore era. At least she lived a more productive life than the likes of Amy Winehouse.

Agreed. If memory serves me right, she appeared on the Tonight show and sang "She Works Hard For The Money" the same night Roger Moore was promoting OP.

RIP to a lady who certainly worked hard for her money.

Here's her singing a great Henry Mancini song from the first Pink Panther film:

• edited May 2012 Posts: 3,494
    I must admit that, even though disco was horrible music that starred few who had genuine talent, Donna was one of the ones who did. "Love To Love You" is a great song to hump to.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited May 2012 Posts: 2,629
    I've never been a huge fan of disco, but Donna did have some great hits such as Love to Love You Baby, Hot Stuff and I Feel Love. All three of those songs were very erotic for its time. Also had non-disco staples such as McArthur Park, Enough is Enough with Barbara Streisand and She Works Hard for the Money. Donna was one of the few disco acts to transcend the disco error era and successfully become a solid pop act.

RIP Donna.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18108052

Another legend gone. Thank you Donna I will always feel love for you.

Oh thank you for this clip! This is it - the one song I love, love, love from her! I am not a disco fan, but this song always sends me to another plane. She had an amazing voice. I would have loved for her to have done a Bond theme song. I keep hearing how decent and nice she way. God bless her.

I absolutely adored Donna Summer in the 70's, especially her Giorgio Moroder produced albums. She was a real classy singer with a distinct mezzo-soprano vocal range and used it to great affect on the 17 minute version of Love to Love You Baby. If you haven't heard it, check it out.

I also agree with LeChiffre, she'd have made an excellent Bond song. I'm just glad she did the Theme from The Deep with John Barry... sadly the closest thing we'll ever get to a Summer/Bond song.

Here's an electro favourite of mine from 1977 in memory of the great singer...

RIP Donna