YOLT and TSWLM climaxes

edited May 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 822
Anyone notice how similar in events the battles at the volcano and Stromberg are? Just a thought.

Comments

I think they're chalk and cheese in my opinion but OK if you insist

There's a Bond villain hideout or stronghold under siege by friendly forces and one or two exciting moments but I can't look too much else into it. Both Bond adversaries (Blofeld and Jaws) make their escape at the end to appear again also but that's about it for me
    I meant how Bond saved prisoners the same way. Also the monorail.
    There was a monorail at the end of The Spy Who Loved Me ? I must be half asleep, I can only apologize, I mean I merely don't remember such a thing etc
    I love both climaxes, they're really awesome. I can see the similarities kind of, there are two major military forces battling alongside 007 to take down the bad guys and destroy their lairs, the volcano, Liparus, and Atlantis, at least one villain escapes alive to return another day, Bond is on the edge of preventing nuclear destruction between nations, and Bond has to escape the base before its ultimate destruction.
    Theyre good, I just get Deja vu when I see Bond hide in a monorail car, threaten the driver, and free the prisoners from the cell when I watch any of the 2 films.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    TheBondFan wrote:
    Anyone notice how similar in events the battles at the volcano and Stromberg are? Just a thought.

Yep. They're both exciting and spectacular though. Along with TB, OHMSS and MR, they make for my 5 favorite action climaxes in the series.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    It's not just the climax - TSWLM is a virtual remake of YOLT, then MR was a remake of TSWLM. Goes from space, underwater and back to space. And all three directed by Lewis Gilbert!
    Yolt had a pirahna tank,while TSWLM had the shark tank.Both death traps were used to liquidated traitorous villainesses.
    One of the first threads I started was about a similar subject. I thought maybe it'd be cool to bring it back.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1114/lewis-gilbert-the-michael-bay-of-eon#Item_12
    Yolt had a pirahna tank,while TSWLM had the shark tank.Both death traps were used to liquidated traitorous villainesses.

Off topic, but you have the User Name I originally wanted. 'Bout time they used Shatterhand as a villan's name in the films IMHO.
    Agreed! They should have Dr Guntram Shatterand as the head of Quantum.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    TheBondFan wrote:
    Theyre good, I just get Deja vu when I see Bond hide in a monorail car, threaten the driver, and free the prisoners from the cell when I watch any of the 2 films.

Not just deja vu. Compare the 2 scenes in the monorail side by side and they are virtual carbon copies with the framing and set design virtually identical.
    Agreed! They should have Dr Guntram Shatterand as the head of Quantum.

Yes! In the next one hopefully.
    These are both classic OTT Bond climaxes. MR comes close, but not quite as good. They're completely daft but utterly enjoyable. I do feel it would be nice if a Bond film had one of these climaxes now. I actually think QoS could have had something like this - the whole underground reservoir set had massive potential for a final confrontation and massive battle.
    They need to bring back the big battles like these.
    They need to bring back the big battles like these.

Oh I agree, the last one we had was TND on Carver's stealth boat. Thankfully, that one was absolutely epic!