TMND - decent Bond film

13»

Comments

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I like TND, although I think GE is much better and TWINE is just as good as TND if not better. Everyone seems to hate Paris and I don't know why. I don't love her but I don't hate her. Wai Lin is awesome and is the only Bond girl who I feel could of had her own movie (not that I wanted one). Carver I thought was a great villian. He reminded me of Blofeld but not as evil.
    I like TND, although I think GE is much better and TWINE is just as good as TND if not better. Everyone seems to hate Paris and I don't know why. I don't love her but I don't hate her. Wai Lin is awesome and is the only Bond girl who I feel could of had her own movie (not that I wanted one). Carver I thought was a great villian. He reminded me of Blofeld but not as evil.

It's not Paris people hate, its Terri Hatcher.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 299
    My biggest problem with Tomorrow Never Dies is that it feels like a movie split in two (sort of similar to DAD in that sense). The first half of TND is quite good, especially the scenes in the hotel. It has the right tone and Brosnan (though I'm usually not a fan) is probably at his best here, to his credit.

But as soon as we arrive in China the movie goes nowhere. The dialogue becomes corny, the action loses tension, and the finale is such an over-the-top shoot 'em up that if feels more like a James Cameron production, as opposed to a true Bond film. Because of the fact that the second half of the film is the significantly weaker of the two, I feel the movie sinks as a result. It's always better to end on an up note, and this one just implodes too much I'm afraid.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    The dialogue was kind of corny from the start tbh:

"There's no news...like bad news"

"M, you have 48 HOURS to investigate"

"I always wondered how I'd feel if I ever saw you again"
    (SLAP)
    "Now I know...was it something I said?"
    "How about the words 'I'll be right back?'"
    "Something came up"
    "Something ALWAYS came up"

"when it comes to a choice between you and Elliot I've made my bed...you don't sleep in it anymore!"

(The dialogue in GE isn't quite as corny as that)
    However Id agree there is a bit more...space between action in the first half.
    twine blows tnd out of the water in terms of everything, better script, villain, soundtrack and locations.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited May 2012 Posts: 3,262
    Everyone seems to hate Paris and I don't know why. I don't love her but I don't hate her.

I've never hated her. She's my favorite Lois Lane so why would I all of a sudden hate her when she became a Bond girl? AVTAK's Stacey Sutton for example is a far more annoying Bond girl IMHO and we had to put up with much more screentime(and whining and screaming) from her than from Mrs. Carver.
  • RC7RC7
    In terms of a by the numbers Bond film TND is hard to fault. Doesnt mess about just does what it says on the tin and does it pretty slickly.

Obivously its no OHMSS but for an entertaining 2 hours in the old Rog classic romp vein its cracking fun.

Only gripes are Surrender being relegated to the end titles when it is probably the best title song since AVTAK and the last 20 mins when they seem to run out of ideas and just have Bond walking round with a machine gun in each hand shooting peope like Arnie.

I pretty much agree with everything you say here.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I had not watched TND in over 10 years and did not have a strong recollection of likeing or disliking it. Recently I watched it and found it very entertaining.
  • I rather liked TND. It gets a lot of hate but it's not a bad Bond film, quite entertaining in fact. We've had worse Bond films *cough* Moonraker/DAD *cough* and it also has an amazing score, easily David Arnold's best work out of the 5 he did IMO.
    This is a film that doesn`t get mentioned much around here, so it`s nice to see some love for it, as I`ve been a big fan since I saw it at the cinema. Never forget the cinema bursting into applause and whoops when Bond gets the Migs out of the danger zone in the pts! Great diving scenes too! Proper Bond stuff, and ol Brozzer is in great shape!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I hope Teri Hatcher never reads Bond forums.
    TND is one of my favorite Bond films, but for me GE is better.
    But I do enjoy TND and like to watch it a couple of times a year.