Did Fleming know that Bond movies would be successful?

2»

Comments

• I'm sure it's Babs who wanted all the shirtless Craig scenes, the trunks scene with all the close-ups of Craig's body while he makes a silly OTT feminine walk.

She does seem to fancy Craig.

On a business level, she should! Terrific actor, puts women in the seats (who will drag their men along if they didn't already want to go), let's face it thus far the guy is practically a cash machine making the franchise big time $$$.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    I'm sure it's Babs who wanted all the shirtless Craig scenes, the trunks scene with all the close-ups of Craig's body while he makes a silly OTT feminine walk.

She does seem to fancy Craig.

On a business level, she should! Terrific actor, puts women in the seats (who will drag their men along if they didn't already want to go), let's face it thus far the guy is practically a cash machine making the franchise big time $$$.

I agree. The casting of Craig (supposedly pushed by Babs, not MGW) made Bond culturally relevant again for the first time in decades.

Babs is substantially younger than MGW, so look for her to exercise more control in coming years.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,645
    He had a hunch I bet.....but even he would be flabbergasted by the box office numbers and the dawn of Bondmania 1965-66. He prolly would not like MR the movie but I bet he'd like the money ;)
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    NicNac wrote:
    Am I right in saying Fleming died when Goldfinger was in production?

In post-production actually, just a month before release. I too can see Fleming making such a remark. I think even he knew the world may have been on the cusp of something big with Bond.

I wonder what he thought of what he saw of the film, compared to the other two?

I know Fleming had a big ego and claimed to make "the spy story to end all spy stories". He already had a taster of Bond's global success thanks to his books. BUT I find it hard to believe he could imagine Bond STILL being made 50 years later. Maybe I'm underestimating him?

Would anyone disagree that he made that? ;)

Damn right he did :p

My point was he was arrogant to make such a claim but one can forgive him ;)