Parts of Bond Movies that Make Sense After Reading the Book

DB5DB5
edited May 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 408
Just started reading "Thunderball" and realize how much more one can appreciate the film by the same title (as well as NSNA) after reading the novel. For example, in the original film there's never any explanation as to why Bond is at the Healh Spa to begin with. Similarly no real explanation is offered in the film as to why Fiona Volpe kills Count Lippe. Both are explained in the book. Just wondering if there are other examples in other films that readers of the novels would be interested in sharing.

Comments

Great thread. Regarding differences between the book and the movie, I've always like the way M in Thunderball figures out where the bombs should be placed by Spectre.
    In relation to the discussion, I think Goldfinger novel explains much better the counter-operation of the Us, the soldiers faking to be sleeping and so on.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    DB5 wrote:
    in the original film there's never any explanation as to why Bond is at the Healh Spa to begin with. Similarly no real explanation is offered in the film as to why Fiona Volpe kills Count Lippe.

in terms of the health spa... no there is no real explanation in the movie - but i just assumed Bond was getting some R and R...

now, in the case of Count Lippe - correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was made clear by Blofeld in a scene, that Count Lippe's choice of Angelo could've jeopardized the entire operation - and thus he needed to be killed... which is why Fiona kills him... i am almost 100% positive that that is how it goes down in the movie..

• DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Not sure if it fits best in Bond Movies or Literary 007, but it sure ain't News :)

Good topic though!
    @Haserot, you are quite correct about the reason for Lippe's elimination in the film. In the book, Bond's stunt with locking him in the steam bath causes Lippe to spend a couple of days in hospital, meaning that he can't post the letter to the PM in which the capture of the bombs is announced, so delaying the entire operation by 48 hours.
    In NSNA the health spa bit was actually explained.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Bond is at Shrublands in Thunderball because of the injury he sustained in the PTS. As Bond says to Pat, "a poker in the hands of a widow".