Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

'he was rubbish' is only your opinion, @Getafix.

My Sir Rog Vacuum Cleaner will also suck out the Brosnan hate in your body.

Clearly your SRVC reaches the parts other cleaners can't reach!
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:
    I was joking.

Obviously knocking Brozza is entirely justified cos he was rubbish.

I'm happy to see a bit of Craig knocking as well. He's good but not as good as many say he is.

Well he is more compelling, more comfortable, more physical, more charming and more humerous in the role than Dalton ever was ;) I say that as someone who (believe it or not) used to favour Dalts over Craig. Upon recent re-evaluation I changed my mind.

Dalton was good (at times very good) but I'm really not sure he was as great as some fans say.
    oo7 wrote:
    actually Dalton films were more expensive than moores. also they took a loss for living daylights boxoffice wise but proved a hit with license to kill(both films have no doubt made a tonne of money since dvds and such) so cheers or no cheers people were certainly paying for Dalton on his second outing and they knew all about him.
    the films look fine any assumptions of cheapness must be one of your own.

Look up the budgets for Dalton's films and compare them to the likes of TB, YOLT, OHMSS, TSWLM, and MR. With inflation taken into account it was a drastic drop. Michael Wilson even said so on the LTK special features. You're the only person to ever say otherwise and I think I'll trust Michael G. Wilson. With all due respect. I loved Dalton's films but compared to Connery and Moore box office standards they were considered financial disappointments. That doesn't mean I enjoy them any less but Im objective enough to admit he was the lowest grossing Bond. After inflation if you average each actors box office numbers the rankings go like this, from highest to lowest.
    1)Connery 2)Moore 3)Craig 4)Brosnan 5)Dalton

I figured there was no point in averaging Lazenby as he only did 1 film.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Getafix wrote:

Anything related to Sir Rog is more efficient !

Getafix wrote:

Anything related to Sir Rog is more efficient !

It's all opinion, but Brosnan is my least favourite Bond, by a stretch. That being said, he didn't cheat Dalton of any movies. Dalton should have done a movie between LTK or GE (without all of the legal issues), or maybe bumped Moore down a few years (Sorry @DaltonCraig007)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2012 Posts: 15,690
    or maybe bumped Moore down a few years (Sorry @DaltonCraig007)

Good god ! You want to take away some of Sir Rog's movies ?? ;)

*EDIT : now that I think of it, I would have loved to see more films with Sir Rog as Rufus Excalibur Ffolkes !!
    Well If was done in 1991 or 92 the Goldeneye. It would been a different story.
    Pretty sure if you asked the average person back in the day they wouldn't know who TD was so to compare him to TV veteran Rog is kinda silly. TD was never really super famous.
    Tracy wrote:
    Pretty sure if you asked the average person back in the day they wouldn't know who TD was so to compare him to TV veteran Rog is kinda silly. TD was never really super famous.

I was talking about his Bond. I don't think his Bond was that popular until TSWLM.

*EDIT : now that I think of it, I would have loved to see more films with Sir Rog as Rufus Excalibur Ffolkes !!

Here here! Any talk of less Rog is madness. He should have started sooner and ended later!
    Getafix wrote:

Here here! Any talk of less Rog is madness. He should have started sooner and ended later!
    @Getafix, you've seen my threads on Roger in DAF & TLD right? Less Tim is a definite no-no but I honestly would have loved Rog in Diamonds Are Forever (since Lazenby quit long before it was made)
    Getafix wrote:

@Getafix, you've seen my threads on Roger in DAF & TLD right? Less Tim is a definite no-no but I honestly would have loved Rog in Diamonds Are Forever (since Lazenby quit long before it was made)

Ah yes, I remember those threads. Those were great! I do agree that Roger should have made an early appearance in Diamonds Are Forever. The movie fits his style perfectly, and quite honestly, Sean was really pushing his luck with DAF. He was out of shape and had probably already passed his time for 007. Besides, more Roger never hurts! As for TLD, while I loved Roger in AVTAK, even I will say that Roger in TLD would have been one too many. His age was passable in AVTAK because he did such a splendid job in every scene of AVTAK, but I would have doubted any plausibility of our hero in TLD had Roger continued on in 1987. I've always felt that 1985 was a good year for Roger to leave on.
    I saw it last night (Moore's debut film) and I don't have a problem with Mr Moore starting his Bond tenure in 1973, It's a great entrance.. 'not married by any chance are you', as Bond is woken up at.. 'an indecent hour' by M and told to get packing for his mission. Would it have worked for Diamonds?, the thing is we really can't say. All I know is Connery was a big disappointment and George should of returned in 1971 with the Tracy revenge aspect of everything, but that all went by the wayside as a bloated Connery wobbled around Amsterdam, Nevada and offshore oil rigs in an attempt to stop someone from making a laser satelite weapon out of Diamonds ?!

Moore should of been Bond between 1973-81, that's what I feel comfortable with. Lazenby did OK for OHMSS, and I only think someone else should of replaced Connery for Diamonds and You Only Live Twice, I just don't think Moore, was the right person fot that
    As much as I love Sean, in many respects I feel Rog deserves greater credit. He had such a tough act to follow and did an amazing job. He is so enjoyable to watch as Bond. I would have loved to see him in more films but would never have wanted to take TLD away from Dalts, who is my number three Bond. I reckon Rog is still good to go - one last mission I say!
    Given that Sir Rog will live past his 100th birthday, there is all the time in the world to bring him back as Bond for a final mission (or 2) !! Or they could revive his fantastic role of 'Rufus Ffolkes' in 'North Sea Hijack 2' !! I'd like to see 'Wild Geese 2' too ! Sir Rog still has plenty of bad-assery to do for years to come !
    Given that Sir Rog will live past his 100th birthday, there is all the time in the world to bring him back as Bond for a final mission (or 2) !!

This sounds like a good idea. It would have been hilarious if Q gave him a Q-walker, with missiles, flamethrowers and rocket engines.

• edited July 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:
    As much as I love Sean, in many respects I feel Rog deserves greater credit. He had such a tough act to follow and did an amazing job. He is so enjoyable to watch as Bond. I would have loved to see him in more films but would never have wanted to take TLD away from Dalts, who is my number three Bond. I reckon Rog is still good to go - one last mission I say!

Well he did do 7 films which is the highest number for any of the Bond actors. I think Moore did the right number of films (if anything he perhaps did one too many).

The only real issue I have with Sir Rog is that, as I've said before, it often felt like I was watching "Roger Moore" first and Bond second.

Funnily enough of all the Bond actors Rog seems to look back on his time as Bond with the most fondness. He's the only one who seems to fully embrace it.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Well he did do 7 films which is the highest number for any of the Bond actors. I think Moore did the right number of films (if anything he perhaps did one too many).

The only real issue I have with Sir Rog is that, as I've said before, it often felt like I was watching "Roger Moore" first and Bond second.

Funnily enough of all the Bond actors Rog seems to look back on his time as Bond with the most fondness. He's the only one who seems to fully embrace it.

I'd say Lazenby looks back at it and embraces it.

Skip to the 5:00 mark.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 236
    Well, Dalton is the closer to Fleming's Bond.

You forgot: In your opinion. :D
    SaintMark wrote:

Although there's a lot based on opinion, there's a lot based on fact as well. If someone tells me that Sir Rog is like Fleming's Bond, oh man.

SaintMark wrote:

Although there's a lot based on opinion, there's a lot based on fact as well. If someone tells me that Sir Rog is like Fleming's Bond, oh man.

Sir Rog in TMWTGG is very much like Fleming's Bond. Whenever I read a Fleming novel, I picture Sir Rog as Bond.
    There's nothing mo(o)re I'd like than Rog or Chris Lee living to 100....but we gotta be realistic.....it's get tougher each yr for them physically , esp Lee looks tired now.
    Given that Sir Rog will live past his 100th birthday, there is all the time in the world to bring him back as Bond for a final mission (or 2) !!

This sounds like a good idea. It would have been hilarious if Q gave him a Q-walker, with missiles, flamethrowers and rocket engines.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Yes! I would die at the chance of seeing something this epic!!!!
    Now Sir Rog in Goldeneye - that would have been awesome! The meeting with Dench would have made A LOT more sense.
  • oo7oo7
    http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=livingdaylights.htm

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=licensetokill.htm

liscense to kill seems to include world wide.
    now if we look at the fact it might have been his third or potentially a fouth dalton film i think we can say the roll-over effect(each bond gathers more heat in the role as time goes on, roger maybe fizzled out)
    i think you could be looking at one of the potential biggest loses for mgm right here. ie if they had managed to wrangle out two more with Dalton i'm actually saying they would not have been in debt so bad.
    CASE CLOSED
    Getafix wrote:
    Now Sir Rog in Goldeneye - that would have been awesome! The meeting with Dench would have made A LOT more sense.

Now I know you're insane =))
    Ah Sir Rog in Goldenye, now that would have been something, in fairness even that would probably have been a massive hit after a six year gap!
  • SAMSAM

I would argue that Timothy Dalton ( possibly Daniel Craig ) is the most talented actor to play Bond to date.

He was certainly the most underrated.

In relation to Goldeneye, I believe the production would have been a success ( most probably a more serious / grittier version ) which is certainly no negative
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I really think Goldeneye would've been successful with Dalton. Maybe not as successful, because lots of people wanted Brosnan as Bond, but still successful. Although I missed Dalton, at the time I was just happy there was a new Bond film after 6 years and so were most people. The guy playing him didn't really matter.

But, even though Dalton is my favourite Bond, I love GE the way it is with Brosnan and wouldn't change that. In a dream world I'd have Dalton take over from Moore after OP or FYEO, and do more films in the 90s before GE, so he gets more films, but not GE.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    I was joking.

Obviously knocking Brozza is entirely justified cos he was rubbish.

I'm happy to see a bit of Craig knocking as well. He's good but not as good as many say he is.

Well he is more compelling, more comfortable, more physical, more charming and more humerous in the role than Dalton ever was ;) I say that as someone who (believe it or not) used to favour Dalts over Craig. Upon recent re-evaluation I changed my mind.

Dalton was good (at times very good) but I'm really not sure he was as great as some fans say.

I'm with Getafix on this one. I think Craig is much more overrated than Dalton. I like him, he's been good so far and has lots of potential but I don't think he's as great as people say, I don't think his performance was as revolutionary as people say (Dalton had done something similar almost 20 years earlier).

And it irritates me how you can barely say a bad word about him on here without tons of fans jumping in and telling you how you're "being negative", etc, while Laz, Moore, Dalton and Brosnan are criticised every day. I feel sorry for Brosnan especially because there's barely ever a thread where somebody doesn't bash him, and most of the time it has nothing to do with the thread.