• It's neither of those I'm afraid, @oo7
  • The prime minister?
  • It's not the Prime Minister, I'm afraid
  • oo7oo7
    Frederick Gray
  • Correct oo7! The mystery character was indeed Sir Frederick Gray

Allow me to explain my clues to you all very quickly

1) I can lay claim to the series title of 'great survivor'

Sir Frederick Gray was Minister of Defence in The Spy Who Loved Me, which was released in 1977. Gray then appears in Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy, A View To A Kill and The Living Daylights (1979-1987). In 1979 in Britain, there was a change of government, with Labour being voted out and Conservatives being voted in, Therefore, the fact that Gray would survive as Defence secretary beyond an election defeat and change of government is impossible and as such, labels him as the series most unlikely and greatest survivor.

2) I have varied emotions

Naturally, Gray is pleased when Bond competes his mission and wants him to do well and be as safe as possible. At the same time, Gray is often embarrassed by Bond and his action (especially catching him with the ladies) and he shows his anger at Bond in the Venice scene in Moonraker.

3) I presume the thoughts and feelings of someone else

In Moonraker, Gray is told by an American that the fact the UK and USA have co-operated in a space programme for the first time, a telegram will be sent to Buckingham Palace. Gray assumes that Her Majesty the Queen will be 'most fascinated' by the mission. But this presumes that the Queen would be interested. You never know, her corgis and crown jewels may be all she cares about ;)

4) I'm scared of the consequences of events

Gray is constantly scared about the actions of the villains and what's going on. Also, he is scared that Bond's actions will cause embarrassment and might be wrong. He is scared of investigations into Max Zorin in A View To A Kill and, most obviously in For Your Eyes Only and The Living Daylights, is scared of telling the Prime Minister bad news.

5) As such, nothing is ever black and white with me

An obvious hint and pun on Frederick GRAY's surname (the colour grey, I know, being spelt g-r-e-y)

6) At some point in my life, I've had the same thing said to me as General Pushkin has...but in very different circumstances

Frederick Grey is in fact Sir Frederick Grey, meaning that he has a knighthood. As part of the ceremony, Grey would have had to gone down on his knees to have the knighthood inferred onto him by the Queen. In The Living Daylights, Bond tells Pushkin to get on his knees. It's the same as Gray but as the hint says, in very different circumstances and tone

7) I have a wide circle of friends, including the great and the good and the evil and bad

Though Gray is friends with good people and powerful people (M, Prime Minister, Chief of Staff and Bond himself, remembering that Bond calls him the rather informal 'Freddie’ at the start of The Spy Who Loved Me), he has also hinted at a friendship, or at least a social acquaintance with Max Zorin from A View To A Kill but more specifically, has admitted playing bridge with Hugo Drax from Moonraker.

8) I assume it's Bond...with disastrous and embarrassing consequences

An obvious reference to the final scene of For Your Eyes Only where Gray connects the Prime Minister to who he thinks is Bond but is instead Max the Parrot. Obviously Gray gets embarrassed by this.

9) I know something...but I won't say it to just anyone

A reference to Gray not telling Captain Benson (played by George Baker) where they got the submarine tracking information from in The Spy Who Loved Me at the submarine base in Scotland but then later telling Bond the information in a private conversation.

10) I am a male

Fairly self-explanatory

11) I am an ally of Bond

Obviously Gray supplies Bond with the information and support ant wants him to do well and will assist in any way possible.

12) My role in the series is not exclusive to me

Gray is Minister of Defence from The Spy Who Loved Me through to The Living Daylights. However, in Tomorrow Never Dies 10 years later, Julian Fellowes portrays a Minister of Defence also.

13) I appear in the series before Goldeneye

Sir Frederick Gray appears in the series before goldeneye, appearing in The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy, A View To A Kill and The Living Daylights

Must be a new record surely?
  • Drax?
  • oo7oo7
    ok clear this up for me, are we drawing from books, films, games and all things bond
    character wise?
  • oo7oo7
    edited May 2012 Posts: 1,068
    Correct oo7! The mystery character was indeed Sir Frederick Gray

Allow me to explain my clues to you all very quickly

1) I can lay claim to the series title of 'great survivor'

Sir Frederick Gray was Minister of Defence in The Spy Who Loved Me, which was released in 1977. Gray then appears in Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy, A View To A Kill and The Living Daylights (1979-1987). In 1979 in Britain, there was a change of government, with Labour being voted out and Conservatives being voted in, Therefore, the fact that Gray would survive as Defence secretary beyond an election defeat and change of government is impossible and as such, labels him as the series most unlikely and greatest survivor.

2) I have varied emotions

Naturally, Gray is pleased when Bond competes his mission and wants him to do well and be as safe as possible. At the same time, Gray is often embarrassed by Bond and his action (especially catching him with the ladies) and he shows his anger at Bond in the Venice scene in Moonraker.

3) I presume the thoughts and feelings of someone else

In Moonraker, Gray is told by an American that the fact the UK and USA have co-operated in a space programme for the first time, a telegram will be sent to Buckingham Palace. Gray assumes that Her Majesty the Queen will be 'most fascinated' by the mission. But this presumes that the Queen would be interested. You never know, her corgis and crown jewels may be all she cares about ;)

4) I'm scared of the consequences of events

Gray is constantly scared about the actions of the villains and what's going on. Also, he is scared that Bond's actions will cause embarrassment and might be wrong. He is scared of investigations into Max Zorin in A View To A Kill and, most obviously in For Your Eyes Only and The Living Daylights, is scared of telling the Prime Minister bad news.

5) As such, nothing is ever black and white with me

An obvious hint and pun on Frederick GRAY's surname (the colour grey, I know, being spelt g-r-e-y)

6) At some point in my life, I've had the same thing said to me as General Pushkin has...but in very different circumstances

Frederick Grey is in fact Sir Frederick Grey, meaning that he has a knighthood. As part of the ceremony, Grey would have had to gone down on his knees to have the knighthood inferred onto him by the Queen. In The Living Daylights, Bond tells Pushkin to get on his knees. It's the same as Gray but as the hint says, in very different circumstances and tone

7) I have a wide circle of friends, including the great and the good and the evil and bad

Though Gray is friends with good people and powerful people (M, Prime Minister, Chief of Staff and Bond himself, remembering that Bond calls him the rather informal 'Freddie’ at the start of The Spy Who Loved Me), he has also hinted at a friendship, or at least a social acquaintance with Max Zorin from A View To A Kill but more specifically, has admitted playing bridge with Hugo Drax from Moonraker.

8) I assume it's Bond...with disastrous and embarrassing consequences

An obvious reference to the final scene of For Your Eyes Only where Gray connects the Prime Minister to who he thinks is Bond but is instead Max the Parrot. Obviously Gray gets embarrassed by this.

9) I know something...but I won't say it to just anyone

A reference to Gray not telling Captain Benson (played by George Baker) where they got the submarine tracking information from in The Spy Who Loved Me at the submarine base in Scotland but then later telling Bond the information in a private conversation.

10) I am a male

Fairly self-explanatory

11) I am an ally of Bond

Obviously Gray supplies Bond with the information and support ant wants him to do well and will assist in any way possible.

12) My role in the series is not exclusive to me

Gray is Minister of Defence from The Spy Who Loved Me through to The Living Daylights. However, in Tomorrow Never Dies 10 years later, Julian Fellowes portrays a Minister of Defence also.

13) I appear in the series before Goldeneye

Sir Frederick Gray appears in the series before goldeneye, appearing in The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy, A View To A Kill and The Living Daylights

Must be a new record surely?

Dont call me Shirly
  • oo7oo7
    1)Known to cover for Bond on occasion
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Moneypenny?
  • oo7oo7
    nope
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    M?
    Somebody got the last one with the endless list of clues that dragged on for about six months, I don't believe it :O

Well done 007 on getting that, you should get a medal and all

New character finally and who can it be ?

Can't be Frederick Gray again surely, it's not the guy at the very beginning of Doctor No is it?, before Sean gets introduced, been a long day and not thinking on all fronts in my defense
  • Somebody got the last one with the endless list of clues that dragged on for about six months, I don't believe it :O

Can't be Frederick Gray again surely, it's not the guy at the very beginning of Doctor No is it?, before Sean gets introduced, been a long day and not thinking on all fronts in my defense

Sir Frederick Gray was inspired! I mean after Bond, M, Q, Moneypenny and Leiter, he is the most played character! 13 clues....I deserve a hall of fame spot surely?
    Somebody got the last one with the endless list of clues that dragged on for about six months, I don't believe it :O

Sir Frederick Gray was inspired! I mean after Bond, M, Q, Moneypenny and Leiter, he is the most played character! 13 clues....I deserve a hall of fame spot surely?

More like a prison cell surely, for you AND @Baltimore_007, because both of you had really torturous character clues which dragged on for far too long.

As for the current character, could it be Mary Goodnight?
  • Somebody got the last one with the endless list of clues that dragged on for about six months, I don't believe it :O

More like a prison cell surely, for you AND @Baltimore_007, because both of you had really torturous character clues which dragged on for far too long.

As for the current character, could it be Mary Goodnight?

LOL some of those clues were obvious...Pushkin "on your knees" as the Queen would have said to Gray before knighting him, Gray assuming it was Bond whilst it being Max, Nothing black and white...was easy peasy really!
    I would never have got Gray I really don't think, you did a fine (if at times somewhat belligerent) last round and I did too, so no excuses really, but it can be frustrating sometimes, fun when you're in charge of it and damn right murderous when you have to try and come up with an answer etc

Someone said Mary Goodnight, it's not Sir Godfrey Tibbett is it ?

• I didn't think it was THAT hard to be honest. But there you go. I take my record with me :D

Cover for Bond? I was thinking Q in DAD because of the invisible car? But ridiculous guess I accept
    No it's not hard when you are the one doing the rounds, because you/I/we - know what the freakin' answer is, and above all else you/I/we - can have a bit of fun and don't feel the anguish and frustration it causes for other participants who obviously aren't aware of who the actual character is, just saying and all. It was painfully difficult last time out and I'll keep it simpler next time I can, as I can appreciate sometimes the frustration these damn things can generate, it's all very well and good though

And furthermore my one was bigger and better as it had more clues provided without a correct response and went on longer than the Cretaceous period of Dinosaurs

I don't know this new one and am sticking with Tibbett I feel now
    The real trick to this game is to disguise a really prominent character with obvious clues, not to describe a forgettable character with vague clues. That’s just morbid, and not difficult to do at all. I hope to win this challenge one day just so that I can reveal my own clues for my own character, and I’ll be interested t see how quickly people get it. Please @oo7, get back to this thread and update us!
  • A forgettable character though Gray may be, he is prominent and does appear in quite a number of films. He wasn't obscure or blink and you miss him character. He was there and played a role in the series and was the driver of Bond in some respect in his years.
    Apparently The Living Daylights was Geoffrey Keen's last film appearance, not just in Bond but as a whole, he never made another screen appearance in any film after that, I was a little surprised maybe
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 128
    oo7 wrote:
    ok clear this up for me, are we drawing from books, films, games and all things bond
    character wise?

My understanding is to keep to the EON films. A lot of folks haven't read the books (or haven't read all of them), and fewer would have played the games. You could include the odd clue that comes from a source outside the films if you hint that it is so (some have referred to other non-Bond related roles an actor has played for example) but picking a character from Goldeneye: Rogue Agent or something like that mightn't go down too well.

Anyway, my guess is Felix Leiter.