The Living Daylights or Licence To Kill

edited May 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 299
With all the recent comments I've been reading about Dalton, I thought it fitting to put this out there. I know my choice, but will wait to hear what the rest of you think first.

Fire away!

Comments

TLD. More enjoyable.

I don't like it when Bond goes rogue in LTK - it set a bad precedent that we're still dealing with now.
  • Both two excellent films

But for me it has to be The Living Daylights. A good solid Bond film, though I do believe the girls and villains in it are weak in comparison to LTK.

As Getafix says, TLD is also more enjoyable. And his comment about the precedent is half true...though I think LTK is vastly superior to the films that followed it.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425

As Getafix says, TLD is also more enjoyable. And his comment about the precedent is half true...though I think LTK is vastly superior to the films that followed it.

Absolutely - but it marks the beginning of as slippery slope.
  • Getafix wrote:

Absolutely - but it marks the beginning of as slippery slope.

I don't think we have reached the bottom of that slope just yet either :(
    With all the recent comments I've been reading about Dalton, I thought it fitting to put this out there. I know my choice, but will wait to hear what the rest of you think first.

Fire away!

You're alittle too late. I started this thread some time ago.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1286/the-living-daylights-vs.-licence-to-kill/p6#Item_163

Fire away!

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1286/the-living-daylights-vs.-licence-to-kill/p6#Item_163

Well I guess there's no harm in a round 2.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    There is an equalizer about the two. TLD is more cheery and action packed, yet LTK has that great human Bond, where we see rage against those that killed Della and dismembered Felix. It is great to see the flames of anger in Tim's eyes in that film, and he played it well. Add on Carey Lowell, Davi as a great Sanchez, maturity of the film, and the amazing truck chase climax, and TLD has an even match. In fact, LTK did it better than the novelized LALD.
    I thought this was a duplicate thread as soon as I viewed the title but will always take the Dalton debut film over his second and sadly, final, outing

Maryam d'Abo is one of the most banal and uninteresting Bond girls you will ever see going back far enough, but it has a very good teaser, A-HA do a good job with the music, there's an array of different and interesting locations and fun action sequences such as the Blaydon safe house and fight with Necros on the cargo plane etc

License to Kill, is OK, but for the last time, simply doesn't have the feel of a James Bond movie. More violent than any of it's predecessors, not that I mind that, I'm all for a grittier Bond film, than some tame affair, but it simply doesn't measure up to the first Dalton adventure. It has some great adversaries such as Sanchez, Dario and Killifer but actually, not that much goes on, the winking fish at the end was a poor way for Dalton to bow out so early in retrospect. Daylights always gets my vote, it actually feels and looks like a Bond film
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Easily TLD. Better production values, better lead girl, better locations, John Barry music and more of a classic Cold War feel to it. LTK has the better lead villain and the better Leiter but other than that, I'll pick TLD each time.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited May 2012 Posts: 4,043
    I used to think LTK as it has Dalton's Bond instead of over hangs from the Moore era, some of the dialogue in TLD was obviously for Rog so LTK was tailored to Tim.

Though as the years have gone on since catching LTK twice in one day on it's opening Friday I think TLD has dated better and feels a more complete film and as my friend above said the production values are definitely better, also TLD has one of the best PTS of the series and a great final score from Barry.

While LTK was tailored for Tim some of the clichés are still there and just feel quite out of place, loosing the gadgets and Q for this entry would have been a better way to go especially with revenge element, the Q sequences seem very out of place, although LTK has some terrific set pieces in it.

I'm definitely a Tim fan and like both films more than any of the Moore and Brosnan era
    but TLD hold up the best now and I look forward to catching both on Blu ray in October.
    This is a tough one.
    Love TLD as this is what I class as the last of the traditional Bond film formula.
    LTK though is near the top of my favourites.
    Yes, LTK for me.
    How can I choose? Both class. TLD is classic Bond. LTK has one of the best Bond villians ever.

It's make my head hurt.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Fire away!

Well I guess there's no harm in a round 2.

Actually there is. Duplicate threads are closed right away. Please make use of the link provided by @DoubleOhhSeven.

lock.png

This discussion has been closed.