"Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"- Unsanitary Harold films

edited May 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 624
I've recently been getting really into Dirty Harry films again. They are excellent movies. I've watched them all in order over the past few weekends.

My rankings:
1.) Dirty Harry
2.) Magnum Force
3.) The Enforcer
4.) The Dead Pool
5.) Sudden Impact

Some of my favorite lines:
"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?" -Insp. Harry Callahan (Dirty Harry)

"Every day for the past ten years, Loretta there's been giving me a large black coffee, today she gives me a large black coffee only it has sugar in it, a lotta sugar. I just came back to complain. Now, you boys put those guns down." -Insp. Harry Callahan (Sudden Impact)

[slowly drawing his .44 Magnum] "Smith and Wesson... and me." -Insp. Harry Callahan (Sudden Impact)

"Go ahead, make my day." -Insp. Harry Callahan (Sudden Impact)

Harry Callahan: Here's a seven-point suppository, Captain.
Capt McKay: What did you say?
Harry Callahan: I said stick it in your ass. (The Enforcer) =))

I also love the music Lalo Schiffrin provided for the series. My favorite song is definitely Magnum Force's theme.

What do you guys think about the Dirty Harry films?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I love that thread title.

I don't mind the DH films. I think the following ranking will speak for itself...

1. The Dead Pool
    2. Dirty Harry
    3. Sudden Impact
    4. Magnum Force
    5. The Enforcer
    The Dead Pool is better than Dirty Harry? Wow, you don't hear that everyday! I've read that it's one of the worst. Until I rewatch it, I don't have an opinion.

Why is it, in your opinion, the best?
    The Dead Pool was Jim Carrey's first ever (major) film appearance I may be right in thinking. That was the one with the remote control toy car filled with explosives if memory serves, bad guy gets harpooned at the end, hope that's right

Sandra Locke appeared in nearly every Dirty Harry movie you could think of, got a bit tiresome in the end, first showed up in The Gauntlet and then appeared in every DH movie after that until the end of time by all accounts, I thought one or two appearances would of been enough. Sudden Impact wasn't too bad though

My favorites would be the original Dirty Harry and that one with Tyne Daly where they go to Alcratraz, can't remember the name of it though. Not really a Dirty Harry series fan or anything, but they did do some good films here and there. Eastwood is, and it goes without saying, a true icon of cinema who has reached legendary status, can't give the man enough accolades for the fine work he has been involved with
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited May 2012 Posts: 1,699
    Which one's the one with Cagney in it (or is it Lacey)?

The bit from that one that always sticks in my mind is Harry buying her a 99 Flake (or whatever it was) - so un-Dirty behaviour, so to speak. I mean, even Bond didn't go through with his threat to buy Bibi an ice-cream. ;)

For the record, Sondra Locke should have been in every Dirty Harry flick - actually, given how hot she was, she should certainly have been in more movies in general (Clint Eastwood-directed or otherwise). Was a decent actress too - especially at comedy. She was great as the spoilt-little-rich-bit-of-all-right in Bronco Billy...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've seen Dirty Harry, but haven't seen the opportunity to watch the others before considering a purchase. Clint is a freaking God among men, and he and Sean have to be brothers separated at birth. Anything Clint does or says is cool, just like Sean and Humphrey Bogart. Dirty Harry was ok, but I think the success of that film came with the controversial content and the great lines and character of Harry. Extremely quotable, memorable scenes, and gory moments. Rest assured the sales of Magnum went up in those days. ;)
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    DirtyBarry.jpg

That made me chuckle. I thank you...
    Who is that ?, if you squint it looks like Robert Carlyle out of Trainspotting, but that's not him I don't think

Got it now, and Lacey, not Cagney, was in 'Magnum Force' was it, with Eastwood, I have seen this and it has the ending on Alcatraz, not a bad little movie all said

Most violent one without question is the one with the annoyingly ubiquitous Sandra Locke woman in Sudden Impact I'm sure it was where she goes for revenge on the men who raped her and killed her sister was it, a bit of a gory ride that was, a bit of a messy picture but from what I remember quite a good film, bad guy at the end gets impaled on a unicorn near the end, quite a surreal exit and all

Then Locke, who has killed and massacred about a dozen people during the movie to bloody effect, is simply let go at the end without not even a caution. Bizarre..

I think after that we never saw her again, so that in itself was a bit of a relief
    Who is that ?, if you squint it looks like Robert Carlyle out of Trainspotting, but that's not him I don't think

You asked for it...

• St_George wrote:

You asked for it...

There can be no better post on this forum surely?
    I can't get visuals, only audio at the moment, but from what I can ascertain from sounds alone, it doesn't sound anything like Trainspotting. I'll take a look another time when able
    I just finished Dead Pool. It definitely isn't the best, but I liked it. Clint Eastwood still had it in him to play a no nonsense cop. The Chinese Restaurant scene was classic Dirty Harry. "You forgot your fortune cookie. It says you're $#!+ out of luck."

The ending was pure bad ass. "You're out of bullets."

I put it at my 4th favorite.

1.) Dirty Harry
    2.) Magnum Force
    3.) The Enforcer
    4.) The Dead Pool
    5.) Sudden Impact
    If you want to see a good Eastwood movie about the times above you could do worse than see Tightrope, I saw it a few weeks ago late one night for the first time in years and it keeps the interest, for a really bad Eastwood release watch something like 'Anyway which was loose' or whatever it was called, it has a chimpanzee in it, saw it once and hated it, or 'Heartbreak Ridge', ones to avoid I say