Robert Downey Jr. talks Bond

gt007gt007 Station G
edited April 2012 in News Posts: 1,182
Marvel Studios has taken the movie world by storm for years now by bringing everyone's favorite super heroes out of the cramped pages of their comic books, and blowing them up on big screens across the globe. Its latest project, The Avengers, finally hits theaters this Friday and some of the film's biggest stars behind the masks are looking forward to their characters' next step on screen.

MTV News spoke with Robert Downey Jr. at the closing night celebration of the Tribeca Film Festival on Saturday about the rumors of other actors possibly taking over his role as Iron Man and the future. On the red carpet, Downey told MTV News that he wasn't so thrilled about the idea of someone else playing Tony Stark. "I would really hate for someone else to think they could step into my shoes," he said. With a sly smirk he also asked jokingly, "I wonder who's playing Tony Stark next. Is it you? Is that what you're here to tell me?"

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:764312/cp~name=news&id=1684080&vid=764312&uri=mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:764312&quot; width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Get More: <a href="http://www.mtv.com/movies/trailer_park/"; style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Movie Trailers</a>, <a href="http://moviesblog.mtv.com/"; style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Movies Blog</a></p></div></div>

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/764312/iron-man-3-is-shaping-up-to-be-something-special.jhtml#id=1684080

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige also had some thoughts about the future of Tony Stark and Iron Man at CinemaCon last week. According to Badass Digest, Feige spoke on the possibility of having another actor take on Downey's role if he ever decides to leave it behind. The site asked if the Iron Man franchise would be like the James Bond series where several actors have played the role.

"I think Bond is a good example. Let's put it this way. I hope Downey makes a lot of movies for us as Stark. If and when he doesn't, and I'm still here making these movies, we don't take him to Afghanistan and have him wounded again, I think we James Bond it," Feige replied.

With that said Feige went on to talk about the possibility of a voice over roll saving Downey the role, since he believes that's basically what's happening at this point anyway. Downey won't have to be in the suit at all, so that could keep the Tony Stark standard fans have come to know and love alive for an Avengers 3, even if Robert Downey Jr. will probably be 50 when Avengers 2 hits theaters.

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2012/04/are-iron-man-and-robert-downey-jr-destined-stay-together

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,690
    Marvel is really milking it..... how many superhero films do we need ? we've had Thor, Capt America, Iron Man 2, Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, Amazing Spiderman and First Class all within 2.5 years !!!!!
    Marvel is really milking it..... how many superhero films do we need ? we've had Thor, Capt America, Iron Man 2, Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, Amazing Spiderman and First Class all within 2.5 years !!!!!

Marvel's films have, for the most part, been really good. So I don't mind.

I also think the Iron Man role being turned over like Bond might work, although most of Iron Man's success, and the following success of Marvel films, has been due to the charm and talent of RDJ. That will be hard to replace.

Milking it is an understatement.
    One thing Bond has taught (numerous times) and Batman/Superman/Spiderman has followed is that you can change the actor in the role and people will go see.

Even though I like these type of films, you can't imagine them having as many incarnations of them. Can you imagine Spiderman 24?

BTW, Batman and Superman are DC Comics and not Marvel, but they are still milking :)

Haven't seen the Iron Man films but I saw the Avengers (I refuse to call it Avengers Assemble, it's a stupid name), and he was great in that. I can't really say if he's good enough to never be replaced though.
  • In the interview Downey says something along the lines of "Lazenby started it all off and he was pretty good."

I can't tell you how many people I talk to think Lazenby was the first Bond.
  • In the interview Downey says something along the lines of "Lazenby started it all off and he was pretty good."

Really? Do they think Connery came afterwards, or do they just forget Connery?!

I suppose that's a joke.
    Maybe it's that Lazenby started the "taking over for another actor" thing.
    I have difficulty finding people who even know Lazenby, let alone people who know he was Bond.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Firstly, Batman has nothng to do with Marvel, he's DC. Secondly, although a Marvel character, Spider-Man isn't produced by Marvel studios but by Sony pictures. Thirdly, Captain America, IronMan, Thor and The Incredible Hulk had their solo movies to set up the Avengers, hell, Marvel Studios have created the MCU for the sole purpose of having their characters all existing within the same cinematic universe....and it's not over. IronMan 3 starts shooting in about 2 weeks, Thor 2 in about 2 months and if you've seen the ending to Avengers, the guy who they showed at the end is a very famous villain within Marvel, it's something that's going to be pretty damn epic so you can bet that the sequel to these solo characters' movies will have slight touches that will culminate in what I can only imagine to be sheer epicness seeing as
    Thanos
    is behind it all and allowed for Loki to have his petty war.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    edited April 2012 Posts: 1,182
    jackdagger wrote:
    Maybe it's that Lazenby started the "taking over for another actor" thing.

I agree, I think that's what he means. I mean, as @Kennon said, it's hard to find people who know Lazenby, can say his name correcyly and know he has played Bond. I'm sure that those people know when he was Bond too.

As for RDJ, I love him as Tony Stark/Iron Man. He's a perfect match for the role. I don't think anyone else could have done such a great job.

Really? Do they think Connery came afterwards, or do they just forget Connery?!

Perhaps RDJ did mean Lazenby was the first to take over the series post-Connery.

But many times when I'm talking to random people, they say "well you know Lazenby was the first ever Bond." Or " the first Bond was only in one film" and I go "Berry Nelson played Jimmy Bond" and they say "No, Lazy something."

This has happened many times.

• X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Would Downey make a good Bond? I'd think he would.

But i still prefer him as the Iron Man. :)