"Number 10's making ugly noises"

2»

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Macmillan with the best run. Combine the classic origin in DN, the raw espionage and thrilling FRWL, Connery in both to boot along with some of the most ruthless moments like DN killing Dent and Grant, how can you compare??

I agree with this.
    And Signed by Roger Moore, no the PMs have never been mentioned by name as far as I can recall, except for in the comic strip RIVER OF DEATH by Lawrence and Horak where Harold Wilson is referenced. I have only read the Norwegian edition, so would not know if this applies to the original as well.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Another interesting British PM related fact is that Sir Alec Douglas-Home's (Lord Home, PM 1963-1964) brother Henry was the one who broke Ian Fleming's nose while playing football at Eton. Fleming suffered headaches his entire life from the metal plate that was fitted in order to mend his broken nose.

Not many people know that...
    Perdogg wrote:
    @Dragonpol

Does Fleming reference the Profumo affair in the opening paragraph of "The Property of A Lady" ?

@Perdogg It may well do. I read it this morning. Did you have an old thread on this over on CBn Forums, or was it someone else? Why not revive it here on MI6 Community?
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Well, I've studied many White Papers and Green Papers of the Gordon Brown Government and I can tell you that he did very little on the constitutional reform front and the "Governance of Britain" project that he staked his reputation as incoming prime minister on on 27 June 2007.

On The Property of A Lady - I like its simplicity, but you make it sound a bit like Dr. No's disparaging comment at James Bond: "You are just a stupid policeman whose luck has run out."

I am no fan of Brown. I just like Major less.

I LOVE this comment of Dr. No, and thus I love this (very) hypothetical line in the hypothetical Property of a Lady Bond movie.
  • Gordon Brown and QOS, seems like the perfect pairing, both bottom of the barrell entries.
    Gordon Brown and QOS, seems like the perfect pairing, both bottom of the barrell entries.

Apart from the Ian Fleming Centenary, I guess that 2008 with its banking crisis and world recession was a year to forget. I have something coming up on the blog to do with Gordon Brown's Government and James Bond that should touch on all of this.
    I actually liked QoS, an underrated entry if there is one. Guy Haines in it must have been working not only for Bond, but for Tony Blair and maybe even John Major before him. So in a way this single movie touches the highest numbers of PMs.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I actually liked QoS, an underrated entry if there is one. Guy Haines in it must have been working not only for Bond, but for Tony Blair and maybe even John Major before him. So in a way this single movie touches the highest numbers of PMs.

Yes, I liked that element of QoS very much too - political intrigue up to the highest corridors of power - and I hope this is developed further in Bond 24.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited September 2013 Posts: 987
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Yes, I liked that element of QoS very much too - political intrigue up to the highest corridors of power - and I hope this is developed further in Bond 24.

I concur, though it has it's faults I think QOS is vastly underrated and the most interesting aspect was the referencing of very topical political corruption, setting up storylines for future films, I would be very surprised if we don't see the return and evolution of QUANTUM in the near future. I wonder if the reason they've held off releasing the deleted end scene of the movie with the demise of Mr White and Guy Haines is for the very reason they have other plans for these two intriguing characters?

• edited September 2013 Posts: 14,839
    Oh, and back on topic, we know that in Skyfall David Cameron is being pressured to close the 00 section. I thought it was interesting and very topical, in these times of public spending cuts. Same with Mathis saying that MI6 is now run by accountants.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Oh, and back on topic, we know that in Skyfall David Cameron is being pressured to close the 00 section. I thought it was interesting and very topical, in these times of public spending cuts. Same with Mathis saying that MI6 is now run by accountants.
    The same theme was in GoldenEye, when Tanner and Bond are complaining about M, then in the briefing scene.