Roger Moore tells of dropping Sean Connery's famous Bond phrase

Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
edited April 2012 in Actors Posts: 13,350
Roger Moore has told how one of his first decisions before taking over the role of James Bond was not to use Sean Connery's famous phrase "shaken not stirred".

In an interview for June's edition of Empire magazine, Moore recalled his early meetings with 007 film director Guy Hamilton.

Moore said that while he would be playing the same character they wanted to avoid "any deliberate" comparisons.

The interview, one of a series in Empire on Bond, came ahead of new Bond film Skyfall.

Starring Daniel Craig as 007 and directed by Oscar-winner Sam Mendes, the latest movie in the franchise will be released in October.

Scenes have been shot in London, Turkey and the White Corries in Glencoe.

The filming in the Highlands in February reportedly involved a car chase featuring Aston Martin DB5s - the same car driven by Connery in Goldfinger and Thunderball.

Talking about his early discussions with Hamilton about taking over from Scottish actor Connery, Moore said: "We talked about my approach to the character.

"The thing he wanted to avoid was any deliberate comparison to Sean, apart from the fact I was playing the same character.

"So I was never saying 'Martini, shaken not stirred'."

In her interview with Empire, producer Barbara Broccoli recalls how Connery exploded the traditional image of a movie's leading man.

Ian Fleming's books about the secret agent were adapted for film by Broccoli's father Cubby Broccoli and Harry Saltzman.

She said: "The typical British leading man used to be Trevor Howard or Leslie Howard - very polite and your classic gentleman.

"I think the real genius of Cubby and Harry was the fact that they didn't pay any attention to the typical class structure and they took someone who was a very real person and put him into this suit."

The magazine tells of "unsung hero" Yat Malmgren, a Swedish dance teacher to whom Connery turned to help hone his movement and gestures.

It also tells of Dr No scriptwriter Terence Young introducing Connery to his Savile Row tailors and then telling the actor to sleep in the suits.

Empire said the idea was to give the character the look of a man who had an eye for finery, but was more caught up in "life and death than ironing shirts".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-17852576

Comments

Nice details. We need a Terence Young and Yat Malmgren now to take young Daniel in hand.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Getafix wrote:
    Nice details. We need a Terence Young and Yat Malmgren now to take young Daniel in hand.

I hope Mendes does his best fill the Young role during the production of Skyfall. Now, just to find another Yat Malmgren.
    Nice stuff here Sam! I hadn't noticed this before, but now that I think about it, Roger never says "Shaken Not Stirred", if I'm not mistaken. I've heard that another distinguishing difference made between Moore and Connery were that Connery always smoked cigarettes and Moore, in LALD and TMWTGG, smoked cigars.