Ultimate Edition DVDs with white covers?

edited April 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 66
A couple of years after the initial wave (with the black artwork), the UE DVDs were released (in the UK) with these lovely white and gold covers. Were these released in the US in this format and if so, is there anywhere to get them online specifically? Most searches only show up the black covers.
Japan also got them, but they're hella expensive.

Comments

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    http://www.amazon.com/From-Russia-With-Love-Connery/dp/B000NDEXPC/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_b

Here for an example.

I think those covers are quite dull compared to the older one though.
    Yeah those are the ones. Trouble is, non of the official Amazon artwork seems to show these, they are usually user-uploaded images. I cannot seem to find a site showing actual item images. Even stranger is the fact that not all the films seem to have those white covers, just the earlier ones.
    MrBond wrote:
    http://www.amazon.com/From-Russia-With-Love-Connery/dp/B000NDEXPC/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_b

Here for an example.

I think those covers are quite dull compared to the older one though.

Yeah I've got that one. The artwork on these is horrible, there's no creativity whatsoever!
    Fair enough, but how did you come across it? I am beginning to think they were only available in the 2008 "condensed" box set released a couple of years after the briefcase?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/dvd/index_ue_2008.php3

There's a look at all 20 of them.

There were released individually in October 2008 and may be out of print now.

They'll get another release this October, anyway along with the BD set.
    Yeah, as I said they were released in the UK. I am looking for US Region 1 editions.
    You'll have to buy off others through amazon US or eBay if you want them. They'll be harder to come by now though, so hopefully you can find a bargin price.
    Seems like it. But it will involve a lot of seller questions about whether the cover is white or not!
    Most individual releases today are, as far as I'm aware. I don't think two sets are being sold and the first wave from 2006 was phased out.

Best of luck @GavSalkeld and keep us updated.
    Thank you for the encouragement. I'll let you know if I find any.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Can't you just buy the UK region 2 one's? I guess they are easier to find.
    Nah, can't stand the PAL speedup and the player-generated/missing subtitles (see GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, Octopussy, etc)
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Ah, i didn't know it was a difference between the two regions.
    Yeah, player-generated subtitles are the bane of many PAL releases, sadly! :(
    Why do they do this? Any idea? It seems rather pointless. Just give us the film as it was originally released, on DVD. That's all we want.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 66
    Since the UK shares a DVD region (Region 2) with Europe, they often use prints of the film without burned-in subtitles (for place names, foreign dialogue). The DVDs can then be programmed to generate these subtitles in the DVD player's native language. So in France, the translated dialogue will be shown in French. In England, in English and so on.

Not only is this not true to the original theatrical showing (fonts and colouring are never the same - see below), but sometimes they don't even work. For example, in Octopussy, the line spoken by the Indian guy after Bond chucks a villiain on the bed of spikes is missing the player-generated subtitle translation on the DVD. This was because the code was not written into the subtitle stream to generate those subtitles. This wouldn't be an issue if they had just used the original print.

Example of horrible generated subtitles from the UK DVDs of GoldenEye:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/1540/geussruerm7.jpg

The missing dialogue issue happens in Region 1 sometimes (the original Living Daylights DVD omits the player-generated, "What kind of woman do you think I am?" line and the original Octopussy DVD did too) but this was fixed on the UEs.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 940
    Going back to the original post, I have those ones - bought them online in 2008/9 in the UK - but the cover images are truly terrible - the DAF front cover one has Connery with blue eyes!

The OP cover makes Maud Adams look like a pychopath on the Most Wanted list.

Domino, Tracy & Pam are about the only girls who look human on the covers.

There was also a lot of alterations with colour in the film (the OHMSS PTS for example) - i don't know if this was specific to this dvd series or in general.

Good luck in your search though.
  • GavSalkeld wrote:
    Since the UK shares a DVD region (Region 2) with Europe, they often use prints of the film without burned-in subtitles (for place names, foreign dialogue). The DVDs can then be programmed to generate these subtitles in the DVD player's native language. So in France, the translated dialogue will be shown in French. In England, in English and so on.

Not only is this not true to the original theatrical showing (fonts and colouring are never the same - see below), but sometimes they don't even work. For example, in Octopussy, the line spoken by the Indian guy after Bond chucks a villiain on the bed of spikes is missing the player-generated subtitle translation on the DVD. This was because the code was not written into the subtitle stream to generate those subtitles. This wouldn't be an issue if they had just used the original print.

Example of horrible generated subtitles from the UK DVDs of GoldenEye:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/1540/geussruerm7.jpg

The missing dialogue issue happens in Region 1 sometimes (the original Living Daylights DVD omits the player-generated, "What kind of woman do you think I am?" line and the original Octopussy DVD did too) but this was fixed on the UEs.

Wow! I never knew that was behind those subtitles. I always hated it when they did that. I really disliked it on The Bourne Identity, where you have this cool montage of threadstone's agents getting activated, and you hear those cool little typing sounds, you expect flashy text, but all you're getting is subtitles going to fast to read them.
    Yes, I'd forgotten about that. Utterly dreadful. I will always try to research discs before I buy them, and I know the UK Bond DVDs are terrible for this (however, it only affects a few titles). Plus the PAL speedup is noticeable to me, so I want the US editions lol.
    GavSalkeld wrote:
    Yes, I'd forgotten about that. Utterly dreadful. I will always try to research discs before I buy them, and I know the UK Bond DVDs are terrible for this (however, it only affects a few titles). Plus the PAL speedup is noticeable to me, so I want the US editions lol.
    Actually I think the 'PAL speed-up', to which I have encountered numerous times, only occurs when you play a PAL item on an NTSC device...one of you PAL people correct me if I'm wrong!!! :D
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 66
    Nope, not true. A PAL DVD plays 4% faster than NTSC wherever you play it - if the source material was originated on 24fps film. But a PAL TV show, for example, shot on 25fps video is not subject to any speed-up.