The U.S. Opens Up New Espionage Program

edited April 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 5,745
The United States, under the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), has created a new program of espionage titled the Defense Clandestine Service.

Its said that this new group of spies will be focused on China, and other nations *not considered immediately dangerous*. Information will be gathered from 'Field Officers' at embassies and other locations across the globe, as well as soldiers on the ground.

This new agency will work under the Pentagon, and have close ties with the CIA. Hundreds of new operatives are expected.

Supposedly the program arose when the current Field Operatives weren't receiving praise (including pay increases and promotions) for their hard work. To keep these agents from switching jobs, the Pentagon has created the new program.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-pentagon-spies-20120424,0,2748053.story

So how long until we get our American Ian Fleming/James Bond? How long do you think it will take Hollywood to start a new spy franchise off this agency?

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,350
    There may be a film series, as there is of everything today but will it last? I doubt it.
    You Americans do have MI. Not really based on a real agency but in a way Hunt is an American Bond.
    ^^^ It's not MI, it's IMF, Impossible Mission Force. As for when will we get an American Bond, Hunt, Bourne, Jack Bouer in a way, all are like an American interpritation of James Bond.
    Yes but Bourne is an anti-agency revenge story, Hunt is an distant imagination, and Bauer is a domestic anti-terror cop.

None of them really touch on the true American spy life, besides Bond ;)

I'm thinking more 'Body of Lies' or even the dream sequences of 'Inception'.
    I'd love to see Nolan at the reigns and DiCaprio as the star.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ^^^ It's not MI, it's IMF, Impossible Mission Force. As for when will we get an American Bond, Hunt, Bourne, Jack Bouer in a way, all are like an American interpritation of James Bond.
    I'm almost certain there is no IMF in real life. But, on to my rant:

This is the kind of stuff I hate to see. Little clips of Bourne and MI in between what is supposed to be a simple news report by annoying underaged kids that think like most people do that the spy game is an action packed fisticuff filled shoot 'em up. People's minds have been absolutely rotted by films that glorify the job or show action and explosions where there is no place for in the real life job. I just wish people like this would understand that the danger is real and not some thrilling tale of men in suits disparaging lead and justice in the mission for intelligence gathering and overall national security. In reality you get a case, get your papers on transit/passports, get to your designated city of operation, get briefed either before or after your arrival by a superior officer or an officer appointed to the city of your mission, and after that it is waiting. There is paperwork to go over, whether it is meticulously rereading a fake cover to memorize every detail about a solid facade in the field, reading up on your target or targets, studying the terrain and layout of your location, hiding passports in secure places, meeting with on site contacts, and doing stake outs and further meticulous tailings. Naturally I understand that it will always be glorified. Not many but I want to see a film where a man gets briefed, gets a target, and then tails him long enough to get evidence for his arrest. Some find it boring, and filmmakers have to toss in car chases, shoot 'em ups and brawls to add a sense of fervor to it. That's fine, I just wish more care was taken to actually learning about the reality of the job when information is literally at my generation's fingertips. There is no excuse. The men and women who gain PTSD and symptoms similar to that from traumatic stressors from having to kill someone who shot first, or turning over a mark for execution you actually made friends with, and any number of things like that ruin your soul and alienate you. As a last resort I would consider this line of work, but only when no hope is left. Jobs like these make you lose all sense of humanity and all the guilt builds until your heart or mind can't take it anymore. You grow increasingly paranoid, lose all trust for everyone around you, and slowly pull through each mission no matter the danger just to try and survive until you retire from the field in your mid to late thirties and then settle for a desk job pulling dossiers or scouting for replacement agents. I have nothing but respect for the men and women who have to go through this, out of either their immense patriotism, lack of opportunity for anything else, or even a lack of care for life or death. I hope this newest section of the intelligence community does honest work, and employs experienced officers to run the operations with equally talented field operatives. God knows what the CIA did with their brainwashing schemes in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and on to today with torture. One is riddled with fright at the thought of what they are up to now.

I meant MI as in Mission Impossible, the film series, not the agency that's in it. Then I said that it's not really in any way based on a real agency but Hunt is sort of like an American Bond. Bourne isn't, and I don't think Bauer is either.

I find it intresting that this new agency is focused on China.
    SS, DD.

Why the need for a new organisation when it's supposed to be staffed with old CIA personnel? Why is it considered necessary to inform the media about it? Isn't that a somewhat strange understanding of 'secret' and 'intelligence'? Finally, does that mean the current work on targets such as China is considered obsolete now? Or will this new operation provide valuable intelligence on top of the vast amounts of information already gathered by the other services. If so, wouldn't it be an idea to start up three or four other operations, just to be on the safe side? If this is going to be such a hot new approach?

Just wonderin'

I find it intresting that this new agency is focused on China.

Looking for a new enemy where defense and such can justify its absurd budget and the paranoia towards problems outside of the US.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Okay, here's the current situation:

The CIA has mainly been focused on gathering intel in the Middle East, because that is where the US is focused right now. (They were key in finding Bin Laden)

This new agency, or group rather, will focus on threats around the world. I spoke to my dad about it (he's into intel and radio communications in the military, and knows some big wigs) and he said that this agency has been around a while.

The big news story is the expansion of this agency. Its not the CIA but will work closely with the CIA. Its more of a military espionage program.

As far as releasing it to the press.. like I said, the group of guys that are in the new agency have been doing this job for awhile. The government has just now decided to expand their work into a program, and bring in more teams.
    Thanks, that clears up the pic a bit.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Military espoinage. So, soldier spies?
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 5,745

Mmmmm.... kind of. Haha. Its Military Intelligence, just not by the CIA directly.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Mmmmm.... kind of. Haha. Its Military Intelligence, jut not by the CIA directly.

Ah, I see.

Its essentially a realistic IMF.

I just re-watched Mission Impossible, and the IMF is under command by the CIA, but works separately, just sharing information. Except the DCS will simply be espionage. They're not assassins or revolutionaries trying to start a coup, they just infiltrate and report for militaristic interests.
    Those hosts need to take abreath between sentences! lol! There will i am sure be a film made no doubt! But i doubt it'll be a James bond