Gardner Novels, Publisher question

edited April 2012 in Literary 007 Posts: 406
I've been buying copies of the Garner novels from ebay and up till now (Nobody lives forever) it was pretty straight forward. According to wikipedia (I know not the best source) the publisher is Jonathon Cape or Hodder & Stoughton for his novels but on ebay all I can find are Guild Publishing. So who published them first time around so I know I'm getting the originals and not BCA reprints.

Currently looking for Role of honour and No deals mr bond and onwards

Thanks

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Never heard of Guild Publishing. I own all original paperbacks from the 80s and pretty sure they are Hodder and Stoughton.

Maybe Guild are the American publishers?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've had a look at my Gardner books, to give you an idea, these are what I have...

Licence Renewed - Book Club
    For Special Services - Jonathan Cape
    Icebreaker - Jonathan Cape
    Role Of Honour - Orion
    Nobody Lives Forever - Orion
    No Deals Mr Bond - Guild Publishing London
    Scorpius - Guild Publishing London
    Win Lose Or Die - Hodder & Stoughton
    Brokenclaw - Guild Publishing London
    The Man From Barbarossa - Chivers Press
    Death Is Forever - Hodder & Stoughton
    Never Send Flowers - Hodder & Stoughton
    SeaFire - Book Club
    Cold - n/a (i've got the paperback)

The first 5 were originaly punlished by Jonathan Cape. After that it seemed to switch between Guild Publishing and Hodder & Stoughton.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    Guild publishing is just another name for bca. I know because I got a lot of books from the thriller book club in the mid 1990s. The guild hardbacks tended to be the same size as the hodder hardbacks and I believe they were even printed by hodder in some cases. Basically a guild hardback is not a first edition. I think the exception is for GoldenEye when the book club hardback preceded whatever other hardback edition that happened in the uk.
  • Guild Publishing was an imprint name of Hodder and Stoughton, I think - all the Gardner novels from Scorpius onwards were published by Guild Publishing. No Deals, Mr Bond was the last Gardner-Bond (and therefore the last Bond continuation novel) to be published by Jonathan Cape. I thinbk Guild Publishing possibly published them all after this, though I only have a few of the Gardnewr hardbacks, mainly the Gardner paperbacks instead.