What do you think of Skyfall taking things back 'to the old days'?

edited April 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 13
From looking at the recent movie production photos, you can clearly see Bond will be driving an Aston Martin DB5 and will be wielding a Walther PPK. How do you feel about them taking 007 back to the style of previous James Bond films? For me personally, I would have preferred it a lot if the Walther P99 was still being used and Bond was driving an Aston Martin V12 Vantage.

Am I the only one who thinks this? I have a feeling I could be!

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't think they are old days. The GF originated DB5 is returning, but the Astons haven't been absent from the series or the PPKs, which I love. So Bond has always had elements of the 'old days' as you call it, but it has never flickered out. I myself love seeing the DB5 in a modern film, and the PPK is just brilliant. More classic elements may come, but I'd be happy with just those Bond elements because I know Dan will continue to succeed in the role. Skyfall is really going to be special.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I never liked the Vantage, and I was kind of hoping for a new Bond car (a Jaguar would've been cool), but the DB5 is STILL awesome.

I prefer the P99 to the PPK but ah well, it doesn't bother me too much. I'm really happy they're doing it in the old Bond style. The whole reboot thing was getting old and I'm glad we're getting classic Bond stuff.

I'm trying to not get my hopes up but I really think Skyfall could be great. I don't know about the best Bond film ever, that's a bit of a stretch, t'll probably be Craigs best Bond film though (unless he does Bond 24 and tops it).
  • tqbtqb
    The PPK was in QOS and obviously the DB5 was in CR
  • tqb wrote:

Very true but the DB5 was featured briefly. I've always had a preference for the P99 over the PPK as well.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    tqb wrote:

But this is the 1st time in ages that the DB5 is the main Bond car.

Honestly I don't know why people love the PPK so much. I know Bond has always used it but I prefer the P99.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    NuttyNadim wrote:
    tqb wrote:

Very true but the DB5 was featured briefly. I've always had a preference for the P99 over the PPK as well.

The DB5 was used too briefly, but at least it was featured. And I prefer the P99 simply because it looks better in Craig's hands. The PPK looks too small. It fit Connery-Brosnan, but the P99 just looks like Craig's gun.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited April 2012 Posts: 972
    I have a feeling the DB5 will feature more in Skyfall as it will be his primary car in the movie I believe. I prefer the P99 for its modern looks as well but I feel that its too big for a spy like Bond to be covertly carrying around unlike the PPK which is small and easy to conceal. Both guns work for me, but there shd be a continuity. They used a P99 in CR and they shd have just sticked to that. But they changed to the PPK in QoS even though it was supposed to be a direct continuation to CR. Why didn't they just use the PPK in CR in the first place? And it looks like the PPK will be used in Skyfall..

Hope there won't be too many homages to previous Bond movies like they did with DAD.. I just don't want Skyfall to be another QoS.. Hope Skyfall is as good as Craig has made it out to be..
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Let's not forget that (in this new rebooted continuity) the 1964 Aston Martin is his car now-- won in a card game in CR.
    We should have really seen it in QOS but I guess they never had an opportunity. I like the direction they took with that- I mean everyone wants to see that car, yet it wouldn't make a bit of sense to have MI6 issue him an 'old' car. So what they did was clever. When Bond is 'off' he drives the '64 Aston!

Now as for his gun-- I am totally OK with him using both; each has its use. In fact, I wouldn't be against them introducing the newer Walther PPS-- which looks a bit like the P99-- yet is the same size as the PPK. The best of both worlds if you will.

Of better yet, maybe one of these days they could have Bond use the ASP!!!

*edit: Here's this pic:

walther1.jpg

See that? It looks a lot like a P99-- but it's tiny like a PPK!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Let's not forget that (in this new rebooted continuity) that the 1964 Aston Martin is his car now-- won in a card game in CR.

In some way (either by mention in a novelization or something, I can't remember), the Brosnan films establish that the DB5 he's seen driving in GE and TND (and seen on a computer screen in TWINE) is now Bond's personal car.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Let's not forget that (in this new rebooted continuity) that the 1964 Aston Martin is his car now-- won in a card game in CR.

In some way (either by mention in a novelization or something, I can't remember), the Brosnan films establish that the DB5 he's seen driving in GE and TND (and seen on a computer screen in TWINE) is now Bond's personal car.

So his off the job pleasure vehicle, like his Dad's passed on Bentley in the novels??
  • No Bond film will ever truly feel llike the "old days" until they finally manage to fill the lofty shoes of John Barry.
  • tqbtqb
    The DB5 and Bond is like the Batmobile and Batman.
  • 'Old days', 'Re-boot'....some things are just timeless.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 5,767
    I don´t understand the necessity of the DB5, it doesn´t make sense, that car wasn´t extant in Bond films between the title sequence of TB and that of GE. Then Campbell brought it back to balance his post-cold-war, post-4-year-hiatus approach. All because Brosnan had to do this no-good melange of a little bit of Moore, a little bit of Dalton, instead of establishing his own brand, as Moore, Dalton, and Craig did. Craig doesn´t need any toys to make clear he´s 007.

Still, it looks splendid in those pics. And I understand it
    gets burned, so I´m mollified a bit
    ;-) .

To the DB5´s defence: In the novels Bond always drove tuned up oldtimers, so why shouldn´t he drive a 60s car in 2012?

As for Skyfall, I´m sure the DB5 and the PPK are again an excuse to go where no Bond has gone before. We get some classy looking fotos, and my they do look classy as *****, but what we know so far about the plot is anything but the the old days.

IMO QOS did it just right, giving Bond the stylish PPK and at the same time going off on the weirdest tangent possible.
  • Let's not forget that (in this new rebooted continuity) that the 1964 Aston Martin is his car now-- won in a card game in CR.

I believe Raymond Benson mentions, in his novelization of TND, that Bond bought the DB5 (minus the gadgets) from Q-Branch when they wanted to throw it out.

I'm really happy they're doing it in the old Bond style. The whole reboot thing was getting old and I'm glad we're getting classic Bond stuff.

I really think Skyfall could be great. I don't know about the best Bond film ever, that's a bit of a stretch, t'll probably be Craigs best Bond film though (unless he does Bond 24 and tops it).

Couldn't agree more. I think SF will be Craig's first "real" Bond film (real as in normal instead of a heartbroken noob).
    If Skyfall can re-use Barry's 007 Theme again, or a hint of it in the score, then that would'be a great subtle throwaway gesture to past Bond films, and it hasn't been overused like James Bond Theme.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    SharkBait wrote:
    If Skyfall can re-use Barry's 007 Theme again, or a hint of it in the score, then that would'be a great subtle throwaway gesture to past Bond films, and it hasn't been overused like James Bond Theme.

That would be great! The 007 Theme is just as powerful if not more than the James Bond Theme.