The action scenes in TWINE

edited April 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,082
I think that TWINE contains some messy and inappropriate drama, but luckily mixes it some great action scenes.
The boat chase in the beginning is top notch and is the only time other than in MR that Bond uses a Q-boat.
The ski chase is wonderful, I love when Bond makes those parahawks crash. I also like the scene in the mine, where Bond uses his watch, which has a grappling hook. The "Bond, James Bond" presentation is also great, as is Denise Richards.

The scene inside the pipeline is ok, but is disappointing compared to the earlier ones in the film. All is forgiven, however, since the scene at Valentin´s factory is one of my favorites in the whole series! I love the BMW Z8 and that Bond destroys a helicopter with one of the BMW´s missiles. Extra points for Bond when he destroys a helicopter by shooting an oil barrel, which explodes, with a flair gun. The last scene in the submarine is also a little disappointing, compared to the earlier ones, and also compared to the climaxes in GE and TND. As a whole TWINE is held up by its action scenes.

Comments

I agree that TWINE's submarine climax is very disappointing because of the fight with Renard, which I abhor. For such a fantastic villain, he gets underscored with such a pathetic end fight. As for the ski chase, I don't like it too much simply because the cinematography is kind of lackluster and messy, and the chase as a whole doesn't excite me like the ski chase in FYEO. Anyway, those are the only two action scenes in TWINE that I dislike, all others, as you mentioned, are perfect, especially the PTS and the Zukovsky's caviar factory shoot-out!
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    the ski chase is very Bond. Also a good action scene is the one inside that nuclear/militar base. But none of'em beats the caviar factory one!

I just missed a good pursuit with that Z8, which we didn't have.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    the ski chase is very Bond. Also a good action scene is the one inside that nuclear/militar base. But none of'em beats the caviar factory one!

I am glad the at least two others like the caviar factory scene. It´s one my absolute favorite sequences!

X3MSonicX wrote:

Yeah, same with GoldenEye with the Z3, which is probably the least-used Bond car in the series, unfortunately. Why did we see Q equip it with stinger missiles if they were never even used? I mean seriously, with all of GoldenEye's majesty and explosive thrilling-ness, it missed out on a great opportunity here.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    00Beast wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:

Yeah, same with GoldenEye with the Z3, which is probably the least-used Bond car in the series, unfortunately. Why did we see Q equip it with stinger missiles if they were never even used? I mean seriously, with all of GoldenEye's majesty and explosive thrilling-ness, it missed out on a great opportunity here.

That´s one of the biggest missed opportunities in the series. I love that car, and a car chase was a must! Perhaps they though that the tank chase was enough, and while that scene was very good, I´d without a doubt rather have a car chase with the BMW Z3.

@007RogerMoore: Same here, the BMW Z3 would have made for a much better chase than the tank chase, though the latter is still classic!
    TWINE has tons of great action!!! It's one of my favourite Bond movies.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Moved from News to Bond Movies.
    I also think that they really should have used the Lotus in the FYEO Madrid car chase. I understand that they wanted to show Bond´s driving skills, but I think that the scene would have been much better with the Lotus. Bond shooting the other cars with missiles etc.
    I also think that they really should have used the Lotus in the FYEO Madrid car chase. I understand that they wanted to show Bond´s driving skills, but I think that the scene would have been much better with the Lotus. Bond shooting the other cars with missiles etc.

Normally I'd agree with you here, but honestly I love the FYEO car chase the way it is, and probably wouldn't want it another way. One of my favorite Bond tracks playing in the background along with some kicking action!
    The World Is Not Enough has the best pre credits sequence of the entire franchise bar none, only spoilt slightly at the end by Bond falling off the balloon and rolling down the Dome roof to silly sound effects, take that away and it's a most thrilling 15 or so minutes spent

I agree the submarine scenes in Turkey near the end get a bit dull sometimes, there's simply too confined a space for any decent action sequences and I was hoping all the time that Richards would drown, but it wasn't to be >:P

I also enjoyed the bit at the caviar factory when the saw blades from the choppers explode off and Zukovsky, Bond and Christmas dive for cover, then Bullion appears and the walls fall down. - 'The Insurance Company is never going to believe this'

Garbage gave us a more than adequate theme song that year and Brosnan put in his best Bond performance yet, but there are one or two things that could of been left out or altered in the end that I really don't need to elaborate on

I'm in the minority in saying that I love TWINE. And yes I agree that the action is outstanding. For the tons of flaws in the Brosnan films, the action always seemed to deliver
    There's nothing wrong with being part of that minority. Simply accept we have recognized this Bond film that others maybe have overlooked, in that it's simply a damn fine 007 outing and most likely the best of the 1990s although Goldeneye does come close
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 5,745
    I've heard many say they hate the parahawks, but I think its the most creative vehicle since Lil' Nellie
    The action is top notch, its obvious what the director was oriented for. I think that explains the Brosnan era perfectly: more action, less/weak drama. Doesn't mean it doesn't have a soft spot.
    I was reading on IMDB just now about some TWINE trivia points and it says 'First Bond release (official) where a main villain was a woman', I would of thought Fiona in Thunderball was first with this, or wasn't she simply relevant enough. Even Onatopp in Goldeneye came before TWINE so they even omitted her out too, I guess they simply weren't 'main villain' enough :-<
    Anybody else think that the PTS boat chase is the best thing about the whole film?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The action scenes in TWINE are a complete borefest. What else can you expect when this film features the most dull, boring and unexciting cinematography in the franchise, even worse than Glen's ?
    I remember being in the cinema and during the PTS, when Bond jumps from the boat and cathces onto the rope, people actually started clapping and cheering!
    I find the action scenes a bit, in lack of a better word, uneven. I like the film, but it bothers me that the PTS is the highlight of the movie, and the climax isn't all that good.
    For me, the best thing about TWINE was Dr Christmas Jones. I found The Brosnan irritating with all that jaw-clenching accompanied by lots of posing as if he were on an uneven catwalk. Though compaired to DAD it's a masterpiece. The action was....er.... forgettable!!
    The Thames boat chase is the highlight of the film as is Sophie Marceau. The rest...bleugh..

The Thames boatchase showcases London nicely from the yuppy flats of Docklands to the narrow Wapping streets where he dodges buses. There is a nice map inset where you can see his logic in using the Isle of Dogs as a shortcut after Cigar Girl and the music is welcome and exciting.

The rest? Christ on a bike...

The snowchase is boring. It doesn't flow. It looks like it is continually set up for stunts. Oh look a sled in a tree. Oh it blows up. The direction is uninspired and predictable.

The Caviar factory also looks like a set of stunts looking around for a story to hang on. The Peter Lamont set looks like a set. In fact it looks like any other set. The cars on wood is ridiculous and the helicopter buzz saw has no menace. The cgi is now obvious.

The submarine climax is on valium. I dont care about Denise Richards drowning and the action gets increasingly ponderous and dull..

What went wrong with TWINes action? Was Vic Armstrong just bored and in a rut?
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I quite agree that the PTS is the highlight of the film. I can remember clear as day the audience I was with in 1999 cheering when the clampers got drenched.

The rest is routine. Although I do quite like the "see you back at the lodge" line Brosnan has and when the cheesey grin is suddenly wiped off his face as the parahawk produces a parachute.
    The action scenes in TWINE are a complete borefest. What else can you expect when this film features the most dull, boring and unexciting cinematography in the franchise, even worse than Glen's ?

The action scenes are boring??? So, a speedboat chase with gadgets, skiing away from parahawks, a buzzsaw cutting Bonds car in half, you find it boring??? I suppose you have your own opinion and everything, I'm just suprised. Even the people who don't like the film seem to praise the action.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

The action scenes are boring??? So, a speedboat chase with gadgets, skiing away from parahawks, a buzzsaw cutting Bonds car in half, you find it boring??? I suppose you have your own opinion and everything, I'm just suprised. Even the people who don't like the film seem to praise the action.

I have no problem with the action itself, just the way it was shot... looks interesting on paper, but on film it was as boring as watching paint dry.

Anybody else think that the PTS boat chase is the best thing about the whole film?

Although it is undoubtly epic, I believe that the moment when Bond pops a bullet into Elektra in cold blood is the greatest thing about the movie, and is certainly my favorite part. It puts all the Brosnan haters to shame!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Yes, I think the action scenes made the movie work. TWINE not my favorite (maybe in the middle for me) but there is plenty I like; especially Brosnan (yes, I like him a lot!!) and one of the best opening scenes (PTS), and I liked the caviar action scene (I liked Valentin, too). Richards not so much.
    Yes, I think the action scenes made the movie work. TWINE not my favorite (maybe in the middle for me) but there is plenty I like; especially Brosnan (yes, I like him a lot!!) and one of the best opening scenes (PTS), and I liked the caviar action scene (I liked Valentin, too). Richards not so much.

Ah yes, we've got another Brosnan fan here! Welcome to the club!
  • Thank god! Always nice to see some Brosnan love for once!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Yeah, I am too quiet on here. I don't have the strong negative feelings about any Bond (though lazenby is my least favorite). All the other Bonds had good and not so good films. But I do think Brosnan was a wonderful Bond - in looks, attitude, touch of humor, and gravitas. I just wish they had given him better scripts for his last two films . I would have loved one more film from him! And overall, including his nonBond films, I think he is a fine actor.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    h

I have no problem with the action itself, just the way it was shot... looks interesting on paper, but on film it was as boring as watching paint dry.

I agree with you.