"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

30 seconds in...

This will have to do. I don´t think anyone wants more videos here.

Don´t forget that he will score 17 goals against Barca tomorrow. Then the whole world will bow down in front of him.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Don´t forget that he will score 17 goals against Barca tomorrow. Then the whole world will bow down in front of him.

ಠ_ಠ

insane.jpg
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Decent enough goals but all scored in the 4th strongest league in Europe.
    And that goal was against the worst Italian team in my lifetime and in the group stage.

I'm still waiting for those single handed match winning performances in the business end of tournaments. So far you havent come up with even 1 goal let alone a winner in a knockout game of substance (and I'm not counting the Italian cup in that) and thats because hes never done it when it really matters.

Have a look at this if you need to know what delivering on the big occasion looks like:

That match was perhaps the greatest comeback ever. And Gerrard is good, but that was just a header. To his credit, that was in the UCL final and helped his team to rise to the occasion in the second half.

ಠ_ಠ

insane.jpg

"The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success".
    largo2 wrote:
    I myself is a avid Swansea supporter, been supporting them for quite a few years, back in the day of the old 4th division. Hope we can keep hold of Brenden. Place a bet on him taking over Man U in 2 seasons time. Up the Swans !!!!!

Have to say they have been brilliant this season and all credit to Brendan Rogers and the team. I like you fear losing our manager Paul Lambert. Thats the problem alot of teams face sadly. A period of success and all the vultures come circling to take your players and manager.

That's why i get really annoyed when the big clubs cry out about tapping up from other big teams whether that be from the same league or another country. The hypocracy is astounding! It just goes to show though what lower league players can do, and that you do not have to buy survival in the premier league! All the best for the rest of the season!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    largo2 wrote:
    I myself is a avid Swansea supporter, been supporting them for quite a few years, back in the day of the old 4th division. Hope we can keep hold of Brenden. Place a bet on him taking over Man U in 2 seasons time. Up the Swans !!!!!

Have to say they have been brilliant this season and all credit to Brendan Rogers and the team. I like you fear losing our manager Paul Lambert. Thats the problem alot of teams face sadly. A period of success and all the vultures come circling to take your players and manager.

That's why i get really annoyed when the big clubs cry out about tapping up from other big teams whether that be from the same league or another country. The hypocracy is astounding! It just goes to show though what lower league players can do, and that you do not have to buy survival in the premier league! All the best for the rest of the season!

Glad someone else thinks like me, I think Norwich will finish above us, as they can adapt better to games than we do, depending on the who the team is we are playing.

In regards to Liverpool - my best player was Jan the man Molby, I will always remember how Liverpool used to be and how good they used to play as a team. I feel King Kenny has lost the power there as the disapline seems to be lacking. I do hope they do not loose him in the summer as he needs another go, just get rid of Carroll the flop and I am sure things will change for them.#
    largo2 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    largo2 wrote:

Glad someone else thinks like me, I think Norwich will finish above us, as they can adapt better to games than we do, depending on the who the team is we are playing.

In regards to Liverpool - my best player was Jan the man Molby, I will always remember how Liverpool used to be and how good they used to play as a team. I feel King Kenny has lost the power there as the disapline seems to be lacking. I do hope they do not loose him in the summer as he needs another go, just get rid of Carroll the flop and I am sure things will change for them.#

We have a pretty tough run in to be honest, which is why i am so grateful we have had such an awesome season! My family is abit mad football wise! There is a Wolves fan (brother), Blackpool fan (mum), Villa fan (dad) and a Liverpool fan (brother) lol! So there is always plenty of healthy football debate going on!

We are at home to Everton next, so hopefully will pick up atleast a point? Moyes is a fantastic manager and think he could well replace Fergie at Man Utd when ever he steps down?
    I only hope we both get at least 2 more wins so we both stay up this season as we both deserve it.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Sorry guys but united just beat Blackburn 0-2 to move 5 points clear at the top of the league, they make me physically sick constantly , and have done ever since 1996 :(
    largo2 wrote:
    I only hope we both get at least 2 more wins so we both stay up this season as we both deserve it.

Well i would drink a vesper or two to that! <:-P
    DCisared wrote:
    Sorry guys but united just beat Blackburn 0-2 to move 5 points clear at the top of the league, they make me physically sick constantly , and have done ever since 1996 :(

Yep! Been listening to it on 5live! Do you think there should be a wage cap worldwide in football? As the only reason i want us in the premier league? Is financial survival! And that is wrong! So many clubs heavily in debt! Its just madness!

If any of these sugar daddies decide they are bored? Heaven help Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and countless others!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    largo2 wrote:

Well i would drink a vesper or two to that! <:-P

Both teams do deserve to stay up as you play a lovely style of football on shoestring budgets,
    I wouldn't mind villa going down actually, I know alot of there fans and there all cocky barstewards

edited April 2012 Posts: 1,329
    RogueAgent wrote:
    DCisared wrote:

Yep! Been listening to it on 5live! Do you think there should be a wage cap worldwide in football? As the only reason i want us in the premier league? Is financial survival! And that is wrong! So many clubs heavily in debt! Its just madness!

If any of these sugar daddies decide they are bored? Heaven help Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and countless others!

Yea there probably should of been a wage cap years ago! It started to get silly when sky and the premier league came along, it's true that near enough all clubs are basically fighting for league positions because of financial rewards, even Liverpool could be buggered if we keep not qualifying for the champions league! , it goes to show that u don't need massive budgets thou to get results, we have spent a fortune and are in a similar position to Swansea and Norwich and the rest!!!
    I know what you mean. I didn't realise we were around £25 million in debt before we got promoted to the Premier league which for us? Is frightening! As i understand it? We survive this season will enable to add a second tier down the other side of the ground which would be awesome! As we pretty much sell out all our home games which is pretty impressive for a club our size!
    DCisared wrote:
    I wouldn't mind villa going down actually, I know alot of there fans and there all cocky barstewards

Be careful what you wish for there mate as Villa are just us a few years down the line. How attractive are we as a destination for top players and managers to come to? A midtable team bleating about former glories. Its a slippery slope downwards from us to Villa to Forest and we are at the top of it right now and hanging on.
  • RC7RC7
    DCisared wrote:

;)
    RC7 wrote:
    DCisared wrote:

;)

Thought I might be hearing off u! Good luck to Yas if ya win it! That's so hard to say
    DCisared wrote:

Be careful what you wish for there mate as Villa are just us a few years down the line. How attractive are we as a destination for top players and managers to come to? A midtable team bleating about former glories. Its a slippery slope downwards from us to Villa to Forest and we are at the top of it right now and hanging on.

Surely not mate? Surely that will never happen, surely we are bigger than villa and forest , bigger fanbase, lots more European cups and league titles, god I almost want rafa back, at least teams used to fear us again( more so in Europe like lol) no.
    I say give kenny another year, then judge his 2nd tenure as boss, there has been many a times when people have been proven wrong either by a players abilities or a managers.
    The wage cap should come in, but we all know it's all about the money now adays.
    Sky have ruined the game in my opinion as if you do not have sky, you are screwed. Yes you can try logging into one of those sights to watch it scott free ( i know not of them ;) ) I think it is wrong that they can dictate when a game is played and on what day. I am just glad that my club does not go ott with wages. Yes we may loose people along the way, but as above those big clubs will be screwed if the owners pulled out. What would united do without the Glaziers? Or Mancity loose a shiek or two from thier board. I would also like to see the foreign player cap come in as alot of the players that come over are after the money
    I think there is a sought of homegrown rule now in place in the premier league mate, where 8 of the 25 man squad have to be British or have been playing in Britain for 4 years or something , I'll try and find a link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8858634.stm
    largo2 wrote:
    The wage cap should come in, but we all know it's all about the money now adays.
    Sky have ruined the game in my opinion as if you do not have sky, you are screwed. Yes you can try logging into one of those sights to watch it scott free ( i know not of them ;) ) I think it is wrong that they can dictate when a game is played and on what day. I am just glad that my club does not go ott with wages. Yes we may loose people along the way, but as above those big clubs will be screwed if the owners pulled out. What would united do without the Glaziers? Or Mancity loose a shiek or two from thier board. I would also like to see the foreign player cap come in as alot of the players that come over are after the money

The wage cap is like communism - a great idea but ultimately unworkable.
    Do we really want the American draft system to come in so we have the likes of Rooney and Aguero being sent to Stoke and Wigan?
    Unless a wage cap is implemented worldwide then players will just go to La Liga or some joke Russian team where they get E'tos wages and the prem will just stagnate.

The thing that winds me up about Sky is that go to any country in the world and they all can watch any of our matches but we are stuck with just 2 or 3 over the weekend because of the spurious assertion that showing 3 o'clock kick offs harms grass roots football - which I contend is a ludicrous argument. If Stoke v Bolton is on telly at 3 how many Doncaster or Scunny fans are going to think 'bugger the match I'll get a few cans in and settle down for a feast of fotoball from the Britannia'. Fans want to follow their team and its outrageous that the permier league lets fans across the world do this but not ones in this country.

Although I like the idea of a TV season ticket its vital that we keep the TV money being shared across the league as at least our league is still competitive. The day the clubs can do a deal for their own TV rights might sound good for a struggling big club like us who would get a nice cash injection but we would just end up like Spain which is basically a rich mans jock league with a 2 horse race and the rest nowhere (well it was until Rangers went under) and lets not kid ourselves the scum are a bigger draw across the world than us and theyd would head off into the sunset while we scrapped for 2nd with the Arsenal.

Clubs like us and Utd should be OK even if the sugar daddies go home as someone will always want to buy us. Its artifically big clubs like Chelsea and Man C than want to watch themselves. If Roman pulls his cash out Chelsea are just West Ham with no real worldwide fanbase and a 20k gate every week. Man C the same except they can at least get 40k loyal fans in the ground every match.

Again a foreign player cap is a nice idea but it would just hamstring our teams in the CL. I'd be prepared to do this if it meant England not being an embarassment in every tournament but most people put club before country.
    Stab in the dark I know but any other Bristol City fans on here?
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    I´m a fan of whatever team Ibrahimovic is playing for. I´ve been a fan of Juve, Inter, Barca and AC Milan. In England it has to be United, though I don´t care too much about PL or english football.
    In England it has to be United

Inevitably.
    In England it has to be United

Inevitably.

Really? I though that you were a Liverpool supporter. But I was a fan of Beckham and United when I was a kid, so that will have to do.

I´m a fan of whatever team Ibrahimovic is playing for. I´ve been a fan of Juve, Inter, Barca and AC Milan. In England it has to be United, though I don´t care too much about PL or english football.

R you Swedish mate? Why the love for ibrah?
    TheWizardOfIce I've got a good stat for ya
    No Liverpool player has made more tackles this season than Lucas,
    And we all know he has been out injured since November!
    DCisared wrote:

R you Swedish mate? Why the love for ibrah?

Yes. I really can´t help it, living in this country where most sport news are about Ibracadabra. I´ve watched him play many times and find him to be both good and entertaining.

Haha don't apologise mate it's fine I have a strong love for a certain Steven gerrard.
    Would u rate him as the best ever Swedish player?