Best Lazenby JB Quote..

edited March 2012 in Actors Posts: 2
Hey, this is my first post in the great 007 community that is MI6...

I was just thinking the other day, there are loads of great quotes that have come from the key JB actors over the years but I wondered what people thought was the star George Lazenby JB quote... obviously its harder to find one from him seeing as he only did one, but the only one that sticks out in my mind is .. 'this never happened to the other fella'

There must be a better one?!

Comments

'Is anything the matter Sir Hilary' (Bunt)

(Lazenby), 'Just a slight stiffness coming on - due to the altitude no doubt'

'He had a lot of guts'

'Maybe you should of been gift wrapped'

'Never Mind that, go and get the Brandy, four star Hennessy of course'

'He's branched off!'

(Ruby) - 'They said I had a very interesting case'

(Lazenby) 'How right she was'

'You've no idea how it's building up'

(Draco)- 'But todays the 13th commander'

(Lazenby) - 'I am superstitious'

'Please stay alive, at least for tonight'

etc etc

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I don't think we can objectively state which of Lazenby's quotes is 'the best'. Personally, I've always enjoyed "He had a lot of guts." but I think the winner is "It's all right. It's quite all right, really. She's having a rest. We'll be going on soon. There's no hurry, you see. We have all the time in the world."
    Is there still some ambiguity over who Lazenby was refering to at the end of the pre credits sequence i.e 'This never happened to the other fella' or did we wrap that up :-/
  • DB5DB5
    It's interesting, when I first saw the movie I didn't think it meant anything other than a reference to Prince Charming in Cinderella. Then people brought up that it was a reference to Connery. I'm sorry, I just never saw that. Saw OHMSS again a few months ago (first time since Dec 1969). Still didn't get anything other than Cinderella reference.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DB5 wrote:
    It's interesting, when I first saw the movie I didn't think it meant anything other than a reference to Prince Charming in Cinderella. Then people brought up that it was a reference to Connery. I'm sorry, I just never saw that. Saw OHMSS again a few months ago (first time since Dec 1969). Still didn't get anything other than Cinderella reference.

Put yourself in the mindset of a 1969 moviegoer who has only seen Connery as Bond.

• DB5DB5
    That's exactly what I was in 1969! And I just never got "the joke." I'm supposed to believe that just before the title credits the person who I'm seeing on the screen as "James Bond" suddenly becomes the actor George Lazenby talking to the audience? And then returns to being ":James Bond" after the credits? What is this "Moonlighting?"
  • Tracy "Suppose I was to kill you for a thrill"
    JB "I can think of something more sociable to do."
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DB5 wrote:
    That's exactly what I was in 1969! And I just never got "the joke." I'm supposed to believe that just before the title credits the person who I'm seeing on the screen as "James Bond" suddenly becomes the actor George Lazenby talking to the audience? And then returns to being ":James Bond" after the credits? What is this "Moonlighting?"

The breaking of the "fourth wall" is intentional. It's saying, "Yeah, yeah, we know it's not Connery anymore. Just go with it."

http://www1.salon.com/ent/movies/tayl/1998/08/25tayl.html
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2012 Posts: 4,399
    Draco : "She likes you, I can see it."

Bond : "You must give me the name of your oculist."
    I'm pretty sure Lazenby has stated that it was a line he came up with in reference to Connery.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I think was Peter Hunt who came up with that, coz Lazenby was complaining, throughout the entire movie that; "Connery never had do to that"
    "It takes more than cutting off your earlobes to turn you into a count, Blofeld!"
    I've always enjoyed that one for some reason.
  • RC7RC7
    There were several lines written for OHMSS before 'This never happened to the other fella' was settled on and it's a direct reference to Connery.

Favourite line - 'Just a slight stiffness coming on... in the shoulder'
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 3,333
    Absolutely love this film but there's so many great lines it's hard to choose one, but here's my entries....

Ernst Stavro Blofeld: Your colleague! Such a keen climber, and a brilliant conversationalist... before he left us.

OR

James Bond: Thank you, Q, but this time I've got the gadgets and I know how to use them.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I've always had a soft spot for "Merry Christmas - maybe you should have been gift-wrapped".

But, hey, I love Crimbo, so I've always liked the fact Bond actually says 'Merry Christmas'... :p
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Got to be 'Royal Beluga - north of the Caspian'.

The fact that he can detect from the taste which part of the Caspian his Beluga comes from is either preposterously pretentious or pure class depending on your point of view.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I thought that caviar line was so unnecessary. Anyway, I liked Bond's 'gate crasher' line.
    'bunt - interesting name for a genealogist, are you from a naval background? - It's a nautical term you see, meaning the baggy or swollen parts of a sail, nothing personal of course'

'I'm not a sporting man Fraulein, even when I'm at my best'

'Gold balls - I brought a book on the subject, it has a picture of my coat of arms - which includes four of them - if you'd like to see them'

'I don't like girls usually, but you're not usual'

(Bunt) - 'Your stiffness of last night, has it gone now?'

(Lazenby) - 'For the time being I think'

'Has that old cow told you - Fancy meeting you here Fraulein'

'Looks like we've hit the rush hour'

'This time I have the gadgets and know how to use them'

'There's no hurry you see, we have all the time in the world'