I didn't know this existed until last week!

edited March 2012 in Literary 007 Posts: 132
c635ebf3.jpg

It seems Roger kept a diary during the filming of LALD and it was published. I'm 40 pages in, it's well worth a read!

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I didn't know that either. Cool of Rog to do for his fans just one film in.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    I've got 3 of these in varying conditions. The back cover shows Rog with a tipple as the boat blows up in the background, an actual on set still and a great image. I concur it's a great read, especially his kidney stones ordeal! Cracking book.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Any hidden tidbits about the making of the film or his time as Bond that are worth knowing?
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Any hidden tidbits about the making of the film or his time as Bond that are worth knowing?

Not sure yet, I'm only 40 pages in. Will let you know, when I finish it :-)
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Ive heard he'd kept some sort of diary but didn't know much about it. Let me know what it's like :)
    I have the french edition. Very funny.
    Gerard wrote:
    I have the french edition. Very funny.

I can well believe it! Say what you will about Roger Moore's tenure as 007? He is a good laugh and loves Bond! I have his autobiography! Brilliant funny read!
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 2,598
    Oh, that sounds like it's worth reading. I saw that book at either a second hand book store or book fair a number of years ago and merely presumed it was a movie tie in cover for Fleming's LALD as I didn't bother reading the smaller print on the cover. I didn't purchase it as I already had three versions of LALD and I'm not even a collector.

How could I have not bothered reading the cover properly?! Disgraceful! :)
    A bit off topic, but does anyone know if Roger in some way lent his name to a series of kids/teen books during the late 70s or early 80s? I remember browsing through the book shelf at a friends several years ago, and I believe I saw some paperbacks with the title "Roger Moore og (...) -gjengen" - translated from Norwegian: "Rooger Moore and the (...) -gang", or something like that.

Seeing that cover made me think about those books. I never asked my friend if I could borrow them (from what I know, they were his dads, and he never bothered to read them), and I haven't really though about them since, so if someone knows anything about these books, it would be great - if only to know that my mind isn't playing tricks on me. :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've got a copy of this somewhere. Rog's diary of filming LALD, yeah... I can't see myself reading it to be honest. ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I however would love to read it! And I have pretty much no chance. (pouts)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Too bad Sean never wrote one. Hopefully Dan will when all is said and done. :D
    Too bad Sean never wrote one. Hopefully Dan will when all is said and done. :D

Yeah, Sean talking about the bond films he made and the thoughts he had about the way his life changed (with the hysteria in the 60s) and the opinions he had on various cast and crew from that time would be a great read,but i don't think it will ever happen now.

Connery has a biography book out doesn't he? He may have mentioned some of what you said in this.
    Bounine wrote:
    Connery has a biography book out doesn't he? He may have mentioned some of what you said in this.

I don't think he mentions anything about the bond movies in "being a scotsman" i think it's called, which came out a few years ago.

Do you know if he mentions the other films (non Bond movies) that he's acted in?
    I haven't read it.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Really?! I would love to read Moore's book. It would be cool to see how he felt about being Bond. I would also love to read Connery's book.
    If I'm not mistaken, Roger is writing a book titled, "Bond On Bond" to come out in the Fall. Rog is to write about all the Bond movies and Bonds, etc He is probably the ideal ex-Bond to do it since he and Sean are good, long-time friends, Rog and Lazenby often email each other and he has known Pierce for over 30 years. I have not heard about it recently. So it might be off. I hope not. If it's like his autobiography, it will be wildly entertaining, hilarious and revealing.
    He's written this:
    9780061734625.jpg
    I haven't read it, but if anyone else has, how much Bond content is in there?
    I read his book and it contained pretty much Bond, some interesting trivia and background. Well worth a read!
    I read his book and it contained pretty much Bond, some interesting trivia and background. Well worth a read!

completely agree with this! Many funny moments in there! My own personal favourite is his recollection regarding Richard Burton! Brilliant read and certainly worth taking a look at! :-bd
    Connery's autobiography did not talk much about his film career and nothing about Bond. Moore's, on the otherhand, talked about his career and, of course, about Bond.

One of many funny anecdotes was about Harry Salzman. He said that Salzman was very picky about his food. He always complained. Rog and Cubby agreed that if Harry had been at "The Last Supper", he would have complained about the meal and ask that it be done over. When Harry would ask that his meal be taken back by the waiter and re-cooked, Harry would have the waiter take back everybody's meal at the table and cooked or baked over. On one such occassion, Rog tried to tell Harry that Moore's meal was perfect and thus didn't need to be taken back. Harry would hear nothing of it and ordered the waiter to take everybody's meal back and come back with new meals. Rog said he often in the back of his mind worried what the insulted chefs might put into the new meals.

If anyone on this forum has not read Moore's autobiography, you have missed a treat. Order the book on-line.
    ^
    I may well read it. I'm not a fan in regards to his Bond, but it seems to be very telling about all the aspects of the franchise and he's a damn nice chap.
    ^
    I may well read it. I'm not a fan in regards to his Bond, but it seems to be very telling about all the aspects of the franchise and he's a damn nice chap.

So will I as soon as iBooks launches.
    He's written this:
    9780061734625.jpg

Yeah, this sounds like it would be an entertaining read. I don't normally read biographies but this sounds like it could be worth it as Moore is a funny chap. The only biography I've read is the Fleming one by Andrew Lycett.

Damn, Saltzman the showman sounds like he was the biggest pain in the arse.

• edited March 2012 Posts: 11,189
    He's written this:
    9780061734625.jpg

I don't mean to brag but I have a copy of this signed first hand by the man himself :x

There's a bit of Bond stuff in there but suprisingly less than I was expecting.
    You have to remember that he was Bond for 12 years out of some 80+ years he has been around. True that Bond is his most famous role but, not all that defines his life. He has had an interesting life.
  • JTNJTN
    Found this thread very interesting, I too have Moore's signed hardback book but not the account of LALD, how do you post an image on here, can anyone advise please.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Ellis wrote:
    Connery's autobiography did not talk much about his film career and nothing about Bond. Moore's, on the otherhand, talked about his career and, of course, about Bond.

One of many funny anecdotes was about Harry Salzman. He said that Salzman was very picky about his food. He always complained. Rog and Cubby agreed that if Harry had been at "The Last Supper", he would have complained about the meal and ask that it be done over. When Harry would ask that his meal be taken back by the waiter and re-cooked, Harry would have the waiter take back everybody's meal at the table and cooked or baked over. On one such occassion, Rog tried to tell Harry that Moore's meal was perfect and thus didn't need to be taken back. Harry would hear nothing of it and ordered the waiter to take everybody's meal back and come back with new meals. Rog said he often in the back of his mind worried what the insulted chefs might put into the new meals.

If anyone on this forum has not read Moore's autobiography, you have missed a treat. Order the book on-line.

lol This makes me want to read it!