Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    We’ll done Franz!
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 14,831
    The novel has a good idea to it (the woman being the focal character), but I’d largely trash a lot of what Fleming laid out because there’s nothing inherently exciting about the protagonist simply bumping into Bond at some motel in the middle of nowhere. Also, I don’t want any of that backstory of her having horrible boyfriends. I’d actually have her caught up in what we would expect from a Bond film involving a big plot, action, a mastermind villain, etc. In fact this would actually be a potentially fun way to introduce a new Bond to audiences as our first impression of him would be how the protagonist views him for the first time. After that film, the actor can then get his first real Bond film where he’s the protagonist and move forward.

You see you'd be taking away what made the novel original and distinct from a typical Bond story, so I do not see the point of making it spinoff if you just make a Bond film with less Bond. Surely you might as well ditch that spinoff if you're not even bother making it a spinoff. Because they've already made a loosely adapted film of TSWLM nearly 45 years ago.

As for your Star Trek analogy, it's a false equivalence: Star Trek is the pitch perfect example of an open universe, in a sci-fi setting on top of that, with complete new species, cultures, etc. You can literally create a brand new race as you go along. And even then, as soon as Star Trek lost popularity and they struggled to bring new ideas in new series... they decided to go back to the old ones.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 8,025
    Ludovico wrote: »
    The novel has a good idea to it (the woman being the focal character), but I’d largely trash a lot of what Fleming laid out because there’s nothing inherently exciting about the protagonist simply bumping into Bond at some motel in the middle of nowhere. Also, I don’t want any of that backstory of her having horrible boyfriends. I’d actually have her caught up in what we would expect from a Bond film involving a big plot, action, a mastermind villain, etc. In fact this would actually be a potentially fun way to introduce a new Bond to audiences as our first impression of him would be how the protagonist views him for the first time. After that film, the actor can then get his first real Bond film where he’s the protagonist and move forward.

You see you'd be taking away what made the novel original and distinct from a typical Bond story, so I do not see the point of making it spinoff if you just make a Bond film with less Bond. Surely you might as well ditch that spinoff if you're not even bother making it a spinoff. Because they've already made a loosely adapted film of TSWLM nearly 45 years ago.

True, it would be more of a one-off, which I would not be against. Not every non-Bond installment needs to become a sub-franchise. I give props to LucasFilm for ROGUE ONE essentially being a one-off story (even though I personally didn’t care for) instead of trying to make something they could make more sequels out of.

I think it’s absolutely DUMB that WB is aiming to make a sequel to JOKER after all the PR about how it’s a one-off. But of course it made a billion dollars, so they can’t help themselves.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    We’ll done Franz!

"Another 80 million dollar write-off!"

He's talking about the Truman-Lodge spin-off's box office performance. ;)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Let's make a 5 episode prequel about his rise to yuppieness and perhaps how he helped with the Financials of other past villains
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 14,831

True, it would be more of a one-off, which I would not be against. Not every non-Bond installment needs to become a sub-franchise. I give props to LucasFilm for ROGUE ONE essentially being a one-off story (even though I personally didn’t care for) instead of trying to make something they could make more sequels out of.

I think it’s absolutely DUMB that WB is aiming to make a sequel to JOKER after all the PR about how it’s a one-off. But of course it made a billion dollars, so they can’t help themselves.

It's almost impossible nowadays to do a genre movie without a possible sequel. I'm surprised nobody tried to do a sequel to A Clockwork Orange yet (well, Burgess did, in a way, with The Clockwork Testament, but it was pure meta and not a sequel per se). Anyway, I'd be interested enough to watch a faithful adaptation of TSWLM, but I suspect I'd be the only one watching it in the theatre. And I seriously doubt it's viable, even as a one off: a low key crime story where Bond has a mere cameo? Lengthy time spent on the background of the main character, before the inciting incident? A lot of the (non) action spent in Windsor and Maidenhead? And that's if they don't muck it up, by adding more action or instead of a Quebecker, casting an American or a French actress as Vivienne Michel.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 7,500
    Let's make a 5 episode prequel about his rise to yuppieness and perhaps how he helped with the Financials of other past villains

I think my proposition of a Mrs Bell spinoff is better. Just think of all the exciting pilot lessons she must have had! ;)
    jobo wrote: »

I think my proposition of a Mrs Bell spinoff is better. Just think of all the exciting pilot lessons she must have had! ;)

I imagine we've already seen her most exciting pilot lesson in Live and Let Die making such a spin-off series redundant. However, I think you are jesting? :)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Mrs. Bell surely takes other lessons.

I'm thinking watercolor painting. Music lessons for piano, guitar, maybe ukulele. Yoga. Scrap-booking. Quilting. Home brewing.

Probably would dabble in experiments like on-line dating, hoping for the best. It would be fun to see her take a driver's exam trying to get her license (or get it back).

So not sure 5 episodes would do it.
    MV5BZTc5MDIwMGYtM2Q0Ny00NDNiLTgwZGUtZTlhODc4MDRiZTkwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_UY180_CR77,0,180,180_AL_.jpg

This thread could do with its own spin-off to talk about Bond spin-offs! :))
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I imagine we've already seen her most exciting pilot lesson in Live and Let Die making such a spin-off series redundant. However, I think you are jesting? :)

Really?? :O Why would you think that? ;) ;))
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Really?? :O Why would you think that? ;) ;))

I just saw that glint in your eye! ;)
    My choice for a minor character spinoff would be Waiter at Chess Tournament in FRWL. You know he knows there's a message for Kronsteen on the paper coaster he put under his glass of water. We assume it's water, rather than gin, because there's no ice in the glass, unless Kronsteen took his gin neat. Does Waiter work for SPECTRE? If so, what is his Number? Or is he a normal (not evil) waiter, who was slipped a couple of lira by a SPECTRE agent to make sure Kronsteen knew about the message? How much did he moonlight as a waiter? Did he make good tips, and if so, what was SPECTRE's take? These are questions we need to know the answers to and have been waiting almost 60 years to find out.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Agreed. There should be a spin-off thread.

Back to controversy: Is Octopussy one of the “serious” Bond films? Or one of the fantastical, over the top ones?
    It’s a bit of both really. I think it has some of the best plotting of the series.
  • Agreed. There should be a spin-off thread.

Back to controversy: Is Octopussy one of the “serious” Bond films? Or one of the fantastical, over the top ones?

That's an interesting question as on the outside, it's a fantastical romp but it does have the Dexter Smythe connection to the book and there is some dialogue about Bond giving Dexter Smythe an "honourable alternative" for his death, so on the inside it's rather serious I suppose. Never thought about that before.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2021 Posts: 14,957
    Revelator wrote: »
    I hire writers with winning pitches, before snorting some blow.

Off a hooker's chest I presume.

Like DiCaprio in THE WOLF OF WALL STREET
    You guys are taking my suggestions too literally. I only had Wai Lin listed as a placeholder title like J.W. Pepper, the list is more of a time table of how I’d like to see spin-offs released without becoming overwhelming, and to emphasize that I’m okay with many of them just being one off projects.

The only reason I would want a Wai Lin film is if it were from the 90s starring Michele Yeoh because she’s an awesome action star worth of her own Bond universe film.

Fair enough, I didn't mean to misrepresent your argument.

But it does beg the question that if they were only placeholders, then exactly which characters would the spin offs involve?

Really depends on the pitch.
    And yes, Michelle Yeoh is a fantastic actress I absolutely agree. Not sure Wai Lin is that good a character though.

She’s pretty basic but so has Bond in most films, it’s always been the leading actor that carried these films more than the “character”. Besides, it’s an opportunity to further develop that character.

And in any case, Bond is a brand. That's not the case for Way Lin, Jinx, Leiter, etc.

This is only true because they’ve never had their own series of films yet. Nothing is ever a brand until it branches out and becomes its own thing, successfully. The character of Frasier Crane wasn’t a brand himself until his spin-off show took off after the end of CHEERS, and the writers were forced to create that on their own without source material beyond what was presented in the original show (which wasn’t very substantial).

Let me ask you: What do YOU think would constitute a successful spin-off from Bond? We’re only speaking hypothetically, so please just play along with this. No matter how adamant you are against the idea of any spin-off, can you at least try to imagine the best case scenario for a spin-off?

If I was to do a spin-off I think I'd do The Man With The Golden Gun. A sort of Hannibal/Bates Motel/Americans style TV show about an antihero, following the rise of Scaramanga as he becomes the world's greatest assassin. Base it on the film version to some extent (give him the same golden gun for example) but like those other TV shows or Joker or whatever, don't be constrained by fitting the exact continuity. So the new lead wouldn't have to be a Christopher Lee lookalike. In fact Mads Mikkelson would be perfect, if he hadn't already done Bond! :)

He's basically the anti-Bond anyway, so this way you get a Bond spin-off where the main character is kind of a Bond substitute and lives in the world of 007 (expensive travel, fast cars, beautiful women, gadgets, assassination), but is still his own character and actually quite an iconic figure on his own, separate from Bond. So you feel like you're watching something that is in Bond's world, but I don't think you'd feel the absence of 007 himself, which I think you might do with a Leiter spinoff or whatever. He's even got a pretty decent John Barry theme tune which you could adapt, Bond theme-style.

And you could open it with a gunbarrel sequence- a golden gunbarrel sequence where the guy who turns around in the middle of the screen gets shot dead :D

45617-1540279623.jpg

For me, it's the perfect blend of both, and what makes it my personal favorite Moore era movie and one of my favorite Bond films. There's a thread asking if it's the most fun Bond movie and it's up there.

There's criticism, deserved, about the silliness of the Tarzan yell and "Sit", most of the tuk-tuk chase and the crocodile sub. But the more serious aspects and the action help elevate it past that, which is where a film like AVTAK really suffers.

But I think most have moved past the Moore in clown outfit bit as the disarming of the bomb is one of the most tense such sequences in the series. It's greatly helped by Bond not being isolated or with a few colleagues as he disarms something, but a whole audience of innocent people hanging all their fears on his skills. People congratulating him and no cheap quip is a nice change of pace.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    BT3366 wrote: »

For me, it's the perfect blend of both, and what makes it my personal favorite Moore era movie and one of my favorite Bond films. There's a thread asking if it's the most fun Bond movie and it's up there.

There's criticism, deserved, about the silliness of the Tarzan yell and "Sit", most of the tuk-tuk chase and the crocodile sub. But the more serious aspects and the action help elevate it past that, which is where a film like AVTAK really suffers.

But I think most have moved past the Moore in clown outfit bit as the disarming of the bomb is one of the most tense such sequences in the series. It's greatly helped by Bond not being isolated or with a few colleagues as he disarms something, but a whole audience of innocent people hanging all their fears on his skills. People congratulating him and no cheap quip is a nice change of pace.

Yeah I agree there and it's a good question from Junglist. It straddles those two tones of its immediate predecessors FYEO and MR really well- not too serious that it becomes dull and but not too funny that it becomes silly and eliminates the tension and sense of danger.
    Plot-wise I think it's great (good enough for Forsyth to nick for The Fourth Protocol!) but I think it suffers slightly in Kamal Khan having no apparent motivation other than being generically evil.
    Good point on Kamal. A greedy villain willing to allow innocent people to die in working with Orlov is more cold-blooded than the generic billionaires who wanted to destroy the world to start their own races, for example.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2021 Posts: 14,957
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Good point on Kamal. A greedy villain willing to allow innocent people to die in working with Orlov is more cold-blooded than the generic billionaires who wanted to destroy the world to start their own races, for example.

Yes that bit where Bond passes him in the car on the way to the circus always sticks in my mind: he wants Bond to be too late and for the bomb to go off. He actually wants to start World War 3 in order to... steal some money? Seems to be using a sledgehammer to crack a Faberge egg somewhat.
    I wonder if it wouldn't have been a better ending if Orlov had been the main villain and Bond had convinced Khan to turn on him because he didn't realise he was starting WW3. But then I guess that what's happens with Octopussy herself to some extent- you can't have them all duping each other.
    I actually really like that Khan us this detached villain. Yes, he's motivated by greed and a love of shining fancy stuff, but then again what's "wrong" with that? Instead of being a fanatic or another megalomaniac, he's got one selfish objective and if it means killing millions of innocent and having Europe invaded by the Soviets, possibly starting World War 3 to obtain it, well then... so be it. Besides, I think there is a certain amount of personal vanity in it: he's doing this scheme because he can.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess... it's just that if the world goes up in smoke there won't be many places to spend his cash! :D
    It’s a bit of both really. I think it has some of the best plotting of the series.

It is absolutely a bit of both, and that is what (in my opinion) makes it one of the stronger films in the series. Moore is also really the only Bond to make bridge that gap so seamlessly that it all feels like one cohesive whole rather than the two separate films it in some ways is.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Does this make Octopussy the quintessential Moore film then?
    Octopussy has a very connvoluted plot.That’s what keeps it from being one of the greats.That and Moore’s age.
    Does this make Octopussy the quintessential Moore film then?

It's hard to say. I think Moore had the least consistent tenure in many ways: he started with low key adventures
    borderline b movies, then switches to epic sci-fiextravaganza then back to Cold War dramas and ends with an almost techno thriller (with too much comedy). Every other Bond actor may have been in Bond films of varying quality, but they remain more consistent overall. And this is not criticism of Moore or his tenure, I'm fact I think he's the most adaptable of all the Bond actors, but it makes it difficult to pinpoint what is a quintessential Moore Bond.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,469
    Personally I think TSWLM is the quintessential Moore film, containing the greatest sum of the aspects and qualities that usually went into Moore films, to put it one way. However, I also think each Moore film has its own flavor and attractive attributes, and I like most of them. About OP, personally it hasn't made me think he was too old quite yet, partly because the movie's pacing is good. But I do think his age shows somewhat in AVTAK. Oh, and to Junglist_1985's other question, I do view OP as one of the "serious" Bond films.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Thrasos wrote: »
    Personally I think TSWLM is the quintessential Moore film, containing the greatest sum of the aspects and qualities that usually went into Moore films, to put it one way.

I certainly agree with that. In many ways, in my own personal view, it's the perfect Bond film- I'm not entirely sure they come any better.
    TSWLM is definitely the quintessential/most iconic of Moore's tenure, but I hold OP in regard right up there with it. There's certainly more Fleming in OP, and despite his age Moore's performance is arguably better and more rounded/nuanced as well. Add to that a leading lady that actually has a sense of genuine chemistry and feels as though she'd make a longterm partner for Bond and you've got a recipe for a super underrated film in my book.