Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I don't think there is anything wrong with a pink tie, but the DAF one is just too short.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Again, the 70s.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I don't think there is anything wrong with a pink tie, but the DAF one is just too short.

Look's like a kids tie.......... :))
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,973

Look's like a kids tie.......... :))

If you ask me it measures up to Roger's full clown suit, and that one was a disguise......
    Again, the 70s.

Agreed, though I don't think any of the other ties in the 70's entries were as short as this one ;)
    At least he’s not wearing Leiter’s drip-dry yellow shirt with a tie made out of a carpet
  • silva13silva13 Australia
    Unpopular opinion: I really enjoy the stealth boat ending in TND. I know the movie goes overboard with the action at points but I don't think this is one of those moments.
    "Activia yogurt if you know what I mean"
    Something something Jamie Lee Curtis :D
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    silva13 wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion: I really enjoy the stealth boat ending in TND. I know the movie goes overboard with the action at points but I don't think this is one of those moments.

The problem with it is that it looks a a studio set. A poor mans TSWLM tanker.
    suavejmf wrote: »

The problem with it is that it looks a a studio set. A poor mans TSWLM tanker.

Oh wow, I feel directly the other way!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Even though Bond goes full blown Terminator, the stealth boat finale is among my favorites in the series.
    Even though Bond goes full blown Terminator, the stealth boat finale is among my favorites in the series.

I have no problem with him going double handed machine gun firing because the situation requires it. I especially love the bit when he reaches ththe bridge and the score comes on, he means business!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I think it's pretty good fun and very well staged for what it is. The only issue I have with it, and it's more of a general issue, is that the design of the stealth boat gives almost zero indication of the scale of the interior. It's like the Tardis.
    Yeah that's fair. It definitely looks alot smaller outside and then huge on the inside.
    I have more problem with goldeneye dish reveal personally. The layout of that place makes zero sense.
    I like TND and everything about it a lot. The matchups of lady characters with Bond make sense and don't stick out like underage ice skaters. HOWEVER -- the slow motion...ugh. Regardless of what was "in" at the time -- I don't care for it, personally. I like that Bond and the lady lead wind up on the water at the end -- yes !
    jobo wrote: »
    Silva mops the floor with any villain from the Brosnan era, thats for sure

Alec Trevelyan is superior IMO.

Agreed.Id also add Elektra as a far superior villain to Silva.
    The stealth boat finale never worked for me even when I was a kid. It just felt overblown and numbing.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The stealth boat finale is the bees knees. Nothing but fun and excitement. And that music. tenor.gif
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Since62 wrote: »
    I like TND and everything about it a lot. The matchups of lady characters with Bond make sense and don't stick out like underage ice skaters. HOWEVER -- the slow motion...ugh. Regardless of what was "in" at the time -- I don't care for it, personally. I like that Bond and the lady lead wind up on the water at the end -- yes !

Except that Bond and Elliot Carver have more sexual chemistry than Bond and Wai Lin.
    echo wrote: »

Except that Bond and Elliot Carver have more sexual chemistry than Bond and Wai Lin.

It's another love it or hate it bond film.
    The slow motion is average.

Where is the slow motion at? It's been a few months since I've watched it.

Where is the slow motion at? It's been a few months since I've watched it.

About 1.54.50.
    Oh wai lin Jumping around the engine room, ofcourse. 😂😂
    edited October 2020 Posts: 2,353
    Oh wai lin Jumping around the engine room, ofcourse. 😂😂

Also at about 1.54.50 there's more slow mo, probably worse ?
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Also at the start when the Devonshire sinks after the captain says 'abandon ship'
    TND definitely has some great moments. I always preferred TWINE, but lately twey've switches places and now TND is my n°2 Brosnan Bond. I like the news framing angle, Wai Lin, the score and the cinematography. Overall it's better directed than some of the other entries too. It's not without flaws, but it does get the job done.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    TND definitely has some great moments. I always preferred TWINE, but lately twey've switches places and now TND is my n°2 Brosnan Bond. I like the news framing angle, Wai Lin, the score and the cinematography. Overall it's better directed than some of the other entries too. It's not without flaws, but it does get the job done.

I do like TND here and there. The plot is quite good, I do love Jonathan's over-the-top carver (fits a self-obsessed media mogul) and Brosnan does a good job. The Terry Hatcher thing is misplaced though and however much Wai Lin is an excellent actor (crazy rich asians!) she's got no chemistry with Brosnan's Bond at all and the director clearly didn't know how to incorporate a martial arts expert in a Bond film (also a sort of tradition). Her shooting the roof with two machine guns in that engine room is just about the worst.
    For me when it comes to the Brosnan era, everything after GE utterly disposable to the point that all three rank on the very bottom. TND and TWINE were two of my first Bond films I ever saw, and later when I finally saw GE (after having gotten hooked on the video game) I was just shocked at how good it was and how it was full of flavor and character. It felt like a film, whereas TND and TWINE felt like TV productions. In comparison they feel utterly generic in such a way that they were not the films that ultimately pulled me into Bond. DAD ranks just above them because it has a pretty fantastic first half before the second half plummets the film into an icy hell. But for that first half of the film in theaters, I really thought I was witnessing the Brosnan era getting it's groove back.

It's like Gustav Graves dangling a potentially good film in front of me and then he chucks it out the door "WHOOPS! NOT ANYMORE!"
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131

First hour: Excellent.
    Second hour: Poor. Straight after the ‘halo jump.’
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

First hour: Excellent.
    Second hour: Poor. Straight after the ‘halo jump.’

Agreed, it really drops off. It is the same for GE and DAD for me.