Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 agree re Mathis - terrible mistake to make, a great actor and great character who would have made welcome appearances in other Bonds.

I think Guy Hamilton was the worst director of Bonds - sure he got lucky with Goldfinger, but his other Bond films are dire (mmm, Tom Mankiewicz seems to have had a hand in the others!), and he also thought that Burt Reynolds would have made a good Bond?!!!

GF, DAF, LALD are in my top ten for sure. Agree that TMWTGG sucked though Scaramanga was a really great villain
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Agree re Scaramanga - shame he wasn't in a better film!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,691
    Agree that TMWTGG sucked

HOW CAN ROGER MOORE SIGN SUCH AN ENORMITY ????? You should be ashamed of saying that with that username !!! Any Sir Rog fan knows that TMWTGG is an awesome Bond movie !!!
    Agree that TMWTGG sucked

HOW CAN ROGER MOORE SIGN SUCH AN ENORMITY ????? You should be ashamed of saying that with that username !!! Any Sir Rog fan knows that TMWTGG is an awesome Bond
    movie !!!

You must have seen a different film to the one I saw! Worst PTS that telegraphed the ending - even for a 14-year-old!
  • Agree that TMWTGG sucked

HOW CAN ROGER MOORE SIGN SUCH AN ENORMITY ????? You should be ashamed of saying that with that username !!! Any Sir Rog fan knows that TMWTGG is an awesome Bond movie !!!

Haha TMWTGG sucks only in comparison to Moore's other films, which I think are all better and superior.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Agree that TMWTGG sucked

HOW CAN ROGER MOORE SIGN SUCH AN ENORMITY ????? You should be ashamed of saying that with that username !!! Any Sir Rog fan knows that TMWTGG is an awesome Bond
    movie !!!

You must have seen a different film to the one I saw! Worst PTS that telegraphed the ending - even for a 14-year-old!

Sory but TWMTGG is the best Bond film !!

LTK is a great film but I think they should have used John Terry (from TLD) as Felix - couldn't believe the relationship between Dalton and Hedison, Hedison was more like his Grandfather than a similarly aged best bud - which he should be.
  • LTK is a great film but I think they should have used John Terry (from TLD) as Felix - couldn't believe the relationship between Dalton and Hedison, Hedison was more like his Grandfather than a similarly aged best bud - which he should be.

I think John Terry the footballer would have played a better job than John Terry the actor! Agree on Hedison though, didn't even really like him in LALD tbh.
  • oo7oo7
    John Terry was prob the most Flemingesque Felix we ever got
    oo7 wrote:
    John Terry was prob the most Flemingesque Felix we ever got

No.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 1,874
    LTK is a great film but I think they should have used John Terry (from TLD) as Felix - couldn't believe the relationship between Dalton and Hedison, Hedison was more like his Grandfather than a similarly aged best bud - which he should be.

I think John Terry the footballer would have played a better job than John Terry the actor! Agree on Hedison though, didn't even really like him in LALD tbh.

Question: Has Felix ever been properly cast in the movies? Love Jack Lord but even he wasn't as the character written by Fleming - the closest I think was John Terry.
  • oo7oo7
    yeah! thats what i said!
  • LTK is a great film but I think they should have used John Terry (from TLD) as Felix - couldn't believe the relationship between Dalton and Hedison, Hedison was more like his Grandfather than a similarly aged best bud - which he should be.

Question: Has Felix ever been properly cast in the movies? Love Jack Lord but even he wasn't as the character written by Fleming - the closest I think was John Terry.

Interesting question. I don't think he has, something has always lacked in the character imo. Personally and not a popular choice I'm sure, I like the Felix in DAF the best.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Agree that TMWTGG sucked

movie !!!

I must admit watching GG as a kid on VHS I thought back then that something wasn't "quite right".

I enjoyed it a bit more after watching it again recently as a slightly more cynical 26 year old BUT it still felt very...meh.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Terry had the best Texan accent. Van Nutter looked most like Fleming's Leiter. Hedison had the best chemistry with Bond--but in LALD, not LTK.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    a slightly more cynical 26 year old

I didn't think you'd be older than me.......
  • TMWTGG features the best Bond/Villain confrontation in the whole series, again dispelling the Craig fans myth that Moore couldn't play the character seriously and have moments of real tension
    TMWTGG features the best Bond/Villain confrontation in the whole series, again dispelling the Craig fans myth that Moore couldn't play the character seriously and have moments of real tension

That's a good scene - I agree. Although I don't think thats the best Bond/villain confrontation.

Personally I vote for the Bond/Grant verbal showdown in FRWL

"Tell me...which lunatic asylum did they get you out of?"

I know Grant's not the main villain in that film but IMO that doesn't matter...Robert Shaw might as well be he was so good.

In fact I think that's a very strong contender for the best scene in the series. The lighting, the soundtrack with the rumbling of the train in the background, Connery and Shaw at their finest and the genuine sense that Bond is trapped. I can watch that scene repeatedly and still be hooked.

The epic fight that follows is the icing on the cake :D
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote:
    TMWTGG features the best Bond/Villain confrontation in the whole series, again dispelling the Craig fans myth that Moore couldn't play the character seriously and have moments of real tension

That's a good scene - I agree. Although I don't think thats the best Bond/villain confrontation.

I know Grant's not the main villain in that film but IMO that doesn't matter...Robert Shaw might as well be he was so good.

In fact I think that's a very strong contender for the best scene in the series. The lighting, the soundtrack with the rumbling of the train in the background, Connery and Shaw at their finest and the genuine sense that Bond is trapped. I can watch that scene repeatedly and still be hooked.

Here's a first. I totally agree! A brilliant sequence. Robert Shaw is excellent.
  • BAIN123 wrote:

The epic fight that follows is the icing on the cake.

That is an excellent scene and definetly the best fight in the series. Though the best scene in a Bond film? Interesting. I would argue the Germany sequence in Octopussy tops it...but only just!
    BAIN123 wrote:

The epic fight that follows is the icing on the cake.

That is an excellent scene and definetly the best fight in the series. Though the best scene in a Bond film? Interesting. I would argue the Germany sequence in Octopussy tops it...but only just!

I've only formed that conclusion after a re-watch over the weekend to be fair but, in all honesty, I think it really could be. In terms of film-making its top notch. I love the subtle things about that scene - like Shaw calmly screwing on silencers, switching guns and putting on his gloves as he talks to Bond.

It's not my favorite film, but GE has the outstanding graveyard and Cuba base confrontations between Trevelyan and Bond.
    echo wrote:

It's not my favorite film, but GE has the outstanding graveyard and Cuba base confrontations between Trevelyan and Bond.

That's a really good scene too though not quite on the same level as FRWL (IMO):

BAIN123 wrote:

Have to agree - great scene, great fight - damn fine film all round. Hell it would be great if Skyfall captured that magic again. Here's hoping.
    The opening PTS action sequence sounds more like a classic Roger sequence than classic Connery. The motorbikes on roofs stunt is Moore-eque in its OTTness, not to mention a little similar to TND. That is no bad thing, but I think it's worth bearing in mind.

Also, I've never been a fan of motorbikes in a Bond film. In my mind, Bond doesn't really suit them. He is better suited to foot, car, skis or underwater.
    Getafix wrote:
    The opening PTS action sequence sounds more like a classic Roger sequence than classic Connery. The motorbikes on roofs stunt is Moore-eque in its OTTness, not to mention a little similar to TND. That is no bad thing, but I think it's worth bearing in mind.

Also, I've never been a fan of motorbikes in a Bond film. In my mind, Bond doesn't really suit them. He is better suited to foot, car, skis or underwater.

Imo we haven't seen enough bikes in Bond films.
    Getafix wrote:

This is an interesting opinion, and I'm inclined to agree: GE, TND, and QoS all had underwhelming motorcycle sequences, IMHO.
  • Would LTK have been better received if it was made within a Cold War context?
    Would LTK have been better received if it was made within a Cold War context?

It's a shame in a way, that the Bond movie that came out the same year the Berlin Wall came down was not a last hurrah to the Cold War. With hindsight, LTD is the last great Cold War Bond movie. The first half is a brilliant and fitting homage to the global power struggle that gave birth to JB.

The flashback sequences in GE were an insult to Bond's cold war heritage. Bond (as far as I'm aware), never went on comando missions within the Soviet Union, attacking installations and machine-gunning Russian soldiers. Awful.
    echo wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

This is an interesting opinion, and I'm inclined to agree: GE, TND, and QoS all had underwhelming motorcycle sequences, IMHO.

I don't really remember the ones in GE or QoS. The one in TND is memorable but feels so contrived. The Bourne chase sequences have unfortunately made it very difficult to get away with those old-fashioned novelty chase sequences.