Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

Oh Eva is a big success ,and yes,very fussy about scripts etc just like DC ....she will go far...Dalton,i think,has gone as far as he can go with Penny Dreadful.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    You make a good point, but I do still wonder whether Eva Green has generally translated to the big screen in a way that Dalton hasn't quite managed. I get the impression both are fairly picky when it comes to scripts, but Eva seems to have cracked the big screen world more successfully (looking at her filmography she seems to like fantasy related films in particular).

She's not only a strong actress but has the sultry looks of a film star.

Dalton younger was a very handsome figure of a man. He was always cast as a romantic lead. Think Sins with Joan Collins. Let's be fair to him. When he played Rochester in Jane Eyre, 98% of his audience was female and thought he was gorgeous.Dalton had matinee idol looks. Why did they cast him as Rhett Butler in Scarlett?

Eva Green has done hardly any films I can think of recently. The biggest one was in 2012 Dark Shadows which was great. Hollywood is not an easy place to navigate and Green is not a fan of it either.

Each actor has a unique quality they bring and should be respected for that.

But, you are right that they are both picky and they are both more about the quality than the quantity. But they are both super fine actors.

barryt007 wrote: »
    Oh Eva is a big success ,and yes,very fussy about scripts etc just like DC ....she will go far...Dalton,i think,has gone as far as he can go with Penny Dreadful.

Dalton in the 80's with Jane Eyre was a huge success. He also was very successful in theatre in the UK.

acoppola wrote: »

Dalton in the 80's with Jane Eyre was a huge success. He also was very successful in theatre in the UK.

I know...he is more suited to theatre to be honest....
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Green is an outstanding actress, but she seems to be somewhat typecast as a villain or in fantasy type films/tv with a frightening edge. I think it perhaps has something to do with her intensity and look.

Disagree. Most British actors of Dalton's generation were honed in the theatre. If you watch the Hammer films with actors like Christopher Lee or Peter Cushing, they were theatrical and that was seen as a pedigree of the actor. Dalton is a product of his time, where acting was a very snobby profession. If you did not do theatre, you were not taken as seriously.

All acting starts in the theatre, and that is where skills are forged. You need experience.

• edited January 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Dalton younger was a very handsome figure of a man. He was always cast as a romantic lead. Think Sins with Joan Collins. Let's be fair to him. When he played Rochester in Jane Eyre, 98% of his audience was female and thought he was gorgeous.Dalton had matinee idol looks. Why did they cast him as Rhett Butler in Scarlett?

I've seen some of Sins on YouTube and to be fair Dalton is very good in what I've seen of him. I remember a good sequence when he's testifying against Steven Berkoff's Nazi commandant and recounting his experiences at a concentration camp. He's excellent in that scene I agree. and I've also seen news reports from the set of Scarlett, but once again these are tv dramas rather than big screen films.
    Eva Green has done hardly any films I can think of recently. The biggest one was in 2012 Dark Shadows which was great. Hollywood is not an easy place to navigate and Green is not a fan of it either.

That's not quite true as she has recently been in Tim Burton's Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children directed by Tim Burton and got top billing. She seems to like her fantasy films.

The last big film Dalton did was Hot Fuzz, a role that suited his "theatrical" background and allowed him to have fun.

Disagree. Most British actors of Dalton's generation were honed in the theatre. If you watch the Hammer films with actors like Christopher Lee or Peter Cushing, they were theatrical and that was seen as a pedigree of the actor. Dalton is a product of his time, where acting was a very snobby profession. If you did not do theatre, you were not taken as seriously.

All acting starts in the theatre, and that is where skills are forged. You need experience.

Fair enough ,but Cushing and Lee had a very strong screen presence that Dalton has never really had with the public...IMO of course.

Fair enough ,but Cushing and Lee had a very strong screen presence that Dalton has never really had with the public...IMO of course.

I do kind of agree.

Incidentally is it true that Lee once commented on Dalton as Bond being "too theatrical?" I read that some years ago on one of these boards.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,602
    Mentioning John Wayne is interesting. He had a very limited range but with a good script (that did not over stretch him) , good location, director , supporting cast etc, he produced some classic movies that have stood the test of time, (largely down to the fact that he had the X Factor), one could say the same about any potential new Bond, if the script is written well, do we need a great actor? I'm not so sure. But we do need someone with great screen presence, star quality and totally relaxed in front of the camera.
    patb wrote: »
    Mentioning John Wayne is interesting. He had a very limited range but with a good script (that did not over stretch him) , good location, director , supporting cast etc, he produced some classic movies that have stood the test of time, (largely down to the fact that he had the X Factor), one could say the same about any potential new Bond, if the script is written well, do we need a great actor? I'm not so sure. But we do need someone with great screen presence, star quality and totally relaxed in front of the camera.

I think you need all these things.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,325
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Stage and screen acting involve very different techniques. Judi Dench is someone who knows how to navigate both.

Dalton has navigated both. So obviously he knows. I do remember that critics thought he was too good an actor to play Bond. His acting was never in question. Do you realise that he was discovered by the legendary Peter O'Toole, who gave him his first role in The Lion In Winter?

Bottom line, Dalton is a fine actor who knows what he is doing.

What orifice are you talking from and how would Judi Dench be a reasonable comparisson? She would disagree with you about Dalton. My implication is that bith Dench and Dalton have both been successful on stage and screen - blow me for using a comparison from the world of Bond| Shish @acoppola you need to pay attention to fables about rushing in!

Uh? what? Of course I know about Dalton's role in The Lion in Winter - who's comparing Dench with Dalton?!

You were comparing. You said Dench knew how to navigate stage and screen, implying Dalton did not. That is blatantly untrue. Put Dalton with the right actors and he is outstanding. Watch Penny Dreadful.

ERm, I'm one of Dalton's biggest fans!

I think you need all these things. [/quote

George L was no oscar winner in the acting stakes but I think OHMSS is an example of where you can get all of the other factors so right that you dont need a 100% gifted actor in the main role.

I think you need all these things.
    George L was no oscar winner in the acting stakes but I think OHMSS is an example of where you can get all of the other factors so right that you dont need a 100% gifted actor in the main role.

I think a good director is possibly even more important than a good actor. A good actor is obviously important but a good director is essential.

(Peter Hunt got a great performance from Laz in a key emotional scene but Michael Apted got a terrible performance from Broz in another dramatic scene - yet in the DVD commentary Apted describes that performance as "powerful".)
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,243

I do kind of agree.

Incidentally is it true that Lee once commented on Dalton as Bond being "too theatrical?" I read that some years ago on one of these boards.

Shite, I forgot Miss Peregrine. Thanks for the reminder. Fair to say that Dalton in his prime, turned down most films to do theatre. That's how it was. Dalton is not conventional.

Christopher Lee meant it in the context that the quality of performance that Dalton gave, was what you would expect from someone of his background. Lee even said you cannot dismiss Lazenby, just because he did one film. I agree with that. Lazenby deserves acknowledgement and his film is excellent. Maybe one of the best Bond films!

In fact Jonathan Ross says to Lee that he felt Dalton brought a darkness and grittiness and Lee concurs with him, and then adds what I wrote above.

Stage and screen acting involve very different techniques. Judi Dench is someone who knows how to navigate both.

Dalton has navigated both. So obviously he knows. I do remember that critics thought he was too good an actor to play Bond. His acting was never in question. Do you realise that he was discovered by the legendary Peter O'Toole, who gave him his first role in The Lion In Winter?

Bottom line, Dalton is a fine actor who knows what he is doing.

What orifice are you talking from and how would Judi Dench be a reasonable comparisson? She would disagree with you about Dalton. My implication is that bith Dench and Dalton have both been successful on stage and screen - blow me for using a comparison from the world of Bond| Shish @acoppola you need to pay attention to fables about rushing in!

Uh? what? Of course I know about Dalton's role in The Lion in Winter - who's comparing Dench with Dalton?!

You were comparing. You said Dench knew how to navigate stage and screen, implying Dalton did not. That is blatantly untrue. Put Dalton with the right actors and he is outstanding. Watch Penny Dreadful.

ERm, I'm one of Dalton's biggest fans!

I salute you for that. I apologise if I got defensive, but over the years there have been so many people who denigrate Dalton unfairly. Sure Dalton did not become a big film stat, but that is a shame.

Dalton is a talent and a sincere actor who loves the craft. Give him a great director and he shines. He is a cult actor and that makes him cool. Tarantino!!! Give Dalts a call and give him a role that blows up the world!

I do kind of agree.

Shite, I forgot Miss Peregrine. Thanks for the reminder. Fair to say that Dalton in his prime, turned down most films to do theatre. That's how it was. Dalton is not conventional.

Christopher Lee meant it in the context that the quality of performance that Dalton gave, was what you would expect from someone of his background. Lee even said you cannot dismiss Lazenby, just because he did one film. I agree with that. Lazenby deserves acknowledgement and his film is excellent. Maybe one of the best Bond films!

In fact Jonathan Ross says to Lee that he felt Dalton brought a darkness and grittiness and Lee concurs with him, and then adds what I wrote above.

Was this the 1995 documentary Jonathan Ross did before GoldenEye? Yes I remember watching that interview.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    In my opinion, it depends on what direction EON takes with the next few films. For a film like SP, one doesn't really need a Craig or a Dalton. However, arguably one did for CR, and particularly for the Vesper scenes (Eva would have eaten and spat Brosnan out alive - Famke almost did in GE), the legendary ball buster, and the Vesper death.
    The closest we've probably seen to Brosnan acting out intense pain on film:

I do kind of agree.

Was this the 1995 documentary Jonathan Ross did before GoldenEye? Yes I remember watching that interview.

Yes indeed! I thought Lee was very fair and did not give a populist view. God bless Christopher Lee. I was gutted when he died. One of my favourite actors of all time!!! Dalton would have made a splendid Hammer Horror Dracula with his casino hairstyle in LTK. I always like that look!

I do kind of agree.

Yes indeed! I thought Lee was very fair and did not give a populist view. God bless Christopher Lee. I was gutted when he died. One of my favourite actors of all time!!!

Hear hear !!!

I do kind of agree.

Yes indeed! I thought Lee was very fair and did not give a populist view. God bless Christopher Lee. I was gutted when he died. One of my favourite actors of all time!!!

Lee always seemed fair and polite in interviews. I too was sad when he died.
    The closest we've probably seen to Brosnan acting out intense pain on film:
    All of a sudden the legendary pain face has a purpose. It's not bad in this scene, given the excruciating pain involved. I am still overjoyed that we had Craig for the ball buster. I remember thinking that in the theatre in 2006. Finally, we have a 'cool' Bond again who can do pain and hurt without overdoing it, I recall thinking.

I do kind of agree.

I can understand. We do not have many of those actors left in England. I love actors who have class and elegance. There are no new Lees, Moores, Daltons or Connerys. All phenomenally unique!!! Man we were spoiled!

I do kind of agree.

Hear hear !!!

Thanks sir!!!

@bondjames. Yeah I struggle to see Brosnan coming close to equalling Craig in that scene too. I'm not sure even Connery would have been as good and that's saying something.
    @bondjames. Yeah I struggle to see Brosnan coming close to equalling Craig in that scene too. I'm not sure even Connery would have been as good and that's saying something.
    Indeed. The closest we got to Connery in distress was the rack in TB, and I wasn't all that impressed tbh. Moore was much better in the centrifuge in MR.

I do kind of agree.

I can understand. We do not have many of those actors left in England. I love actors who have class and elegance. There are no new Lees, Moores, Daltons or Connerys. All phenomenally unique!!! Man we were spoiled!

Again ,well said...and unfortunately true...but our actors are taking America by storm ,so hats off to them.

bondjames wrote: »
    Indeed. The closest we got to Connery in distress was the rack in TB, and I wasn't all that impressed tbh. Moore was much better in the centrifuge in MR.

Moore was helped a bit I think by the wind machine pulling back his face.
    bondjames wrote: »

Moore was helped a bit I think by the wind machine pulling back his face.
    Very true. After it was over he was very impressive though. Some of his best work.