Philip Madoc (1934-2012)

MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
edited March 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 13,894
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17255287

A most distinctive voice, and one of those actors that chances are, everyone has seen something that he's contributed to.

R.I.P.

Comments

R.I.P Phillip Madoc you did a wonderful job in Doctor Who
    Ah Mehedri Solon....the best Bond villain in Who bar Harrison Chase
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Despite a long and distinguished career Madoc seems forever to be remembered for one joke in one episode of Dad's Army, the immortal 'Don't tell him Pike' moment with Madoc as a U Boat commander.

I, like everyone else in the uk, know of that Pike line but I don't remember which part he played in Bond. Can someone remind me? Apologies.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I don't think he was in a Bond? He was once a front runner to play Q...or so the story goes.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    He never has been in Bond, to my knowledge. I'd never heard that story, but I guess I could see him as Q.

I think what actionsteve might mean (but I could be wrong), is that when Madoc was in Doctor Who, he was very Bond villain-ish.
    I see. My mistake. I don't watch DW.

I think what actionsteve might mean (but I could be wrong), is that when Madoc was in Doctor Who, he was very Bond villain-ish.

Indeed I do. See below. He's the one with the beard. And it is Actonsteve. Which is my current domicile.

• edited March 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I could call myself Actionsteve (Steve being my first name) :p
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    An actor particularly memorable for his work in Doctor Who - loved him in both The War Games (with his funky sunglasses) and The Brain Of Morbius. In a parallel universe kind of way, he also played a role in the second of the two '60s Who flicks, Invasion Earth 2150AD.

RIP...