The what were they thinking thread. Goofs, gaffs, lines, plots and characters that don't make sense.

BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
edited February 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 14,904
We've all seen the Bond movies countless times, and for the most part we love every second of them. We follow the film from beginging to end and generally enjoying the adventure that we're watching. But sometimes afterwards we think about those little nuances or goofs that just don't make sense.
Now we all make mistakes, yes even me. But sometimes on reflection it really is hard to fathom what on earth the film makers were thinking.
A few choice examples that spring to mind;
Henderson in YOLT offering Bond a martini stirred not shaken.
Bond turning Japanese,again in YOLT, going to the extent of shaving his chest hair, yet during the climax on the raft, having the chest hair back. Why include the idea if you're not going to use it?
Having Sheriff Pepper appear in Thailand, in TMWTGG shopping for an American Motors Hornet?
A space station in MR being constucted without anyone noticing.
The return of Blofeld in FYEO, and offering Bond a delicatessen in stainless steel, as a bribe not to kill him.
"You know you did kill my wife, but that stainless steel deli is just to hard to turn down."
And of course countless others.
So now what are some of the oddities of the Bond series that perplex you?

Comments

The doctor replacing bonemarrow and DNA in DAD, I mean, wut? Whut? WHAT!?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Why does Goldfinger go the effort and expense of crushing a brand new Lincoln Continental and having to remove the gold from the crushed metal and body parts when he was going to kill all the hoods anyway? Why not just say 'Well Mr Solo thats fine you dont want to invest. Just sit back and relax for a bit while I explain the plan to everyone else and then I can just gas you all together. Would you mind terribly? It would save me the trouble of having to pick bits of your brain out of my nice shiny gold'.

Did no one within EON or MGM or the test audience at any point during the post production of QOS say 'Is it just me but would it be impolite of me to ask for a shot that lasts longer than 2 frames just so that the speed of light has time to register it on the back of my retinas.'
  • Why on earth does Helga Brandt bother taking Bond up in a a plane, then parachuting out, while trapping Bond inside? She literally had him tied to a chair and could have "scalpeled" him to death, a few minutes before. A complete waste of time, effort, not to mention a perfectly good plane! WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!
  • In the beginning of LALD when the agent is tied to the posts being threatened by the snake... then it bites him (leaving no teeth marks) and then he "dies"? I'm pretty sure that even the most poisonous snake venom doesn't act that fast. I guess he could've just fainted from fright, but the scene is still a little silly.
    A sinking house actionscenewhen you brag about having a real actor playing 007?
    Pretty much everything about the Roger Moore era!
    In OHMSS, Bond driving on the left side of the road in a country where people drive on the right side? Yes, I know, I would have been distracted by Tracy too.
  • I'm terribly sorry but there's already an active thread for all this. Apologies and all

Titled Parts of Bond Movies That Don't Make Sense last updated January 28, there's like five pages devoted to it

But carry on here by all means, no harm done
  • Mid-70s years old M standing outside the anonymous block of flats in the snow in russia/eastern Europe (?) to have a chat with bond at the end of QOS.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,351
    I'm terribly sorry but there's already an active thread for all this. Apologies and all

Titled Parts of Bond Movies That Don't Make Sense last updated January 28, there's like five pages devoted to it

But carry on here by all means, no harm done

And here it is: http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1077/parts-of-bond-movies-that-dont-make-sense/p5#Item_151

I agree it may be better to continue there.
    LTK M appearing in South florida to revoke Bond's license. WTF?
    90% of DAF
    DAD henchman not removing the diamonds inbedded in his face.
    YOLT Helga wasting a perfectly good plane when she could have just slit Bond's throat with the scapel. Maybe she wanted to have sex with him first, okay fine. then slit his throat afterwards.