Pixie Lott performs "Bond-Version" of "All about tonight" for Chris Moyles' birthday

edited February 2012 in Music Posts: 192
On monday Pixie Lott performed a very special version of "All about tonight" on Chris Moyles' birthday show on Radio 1.
She was supported by 64-pieces BBC Concert Orchestra conducted by Steve Sidwell. Steve's orchestration was very obviously meant to resemble a Bond soundtrack.
Check it out:

It shows that with the right orchestration a generic pop song like this can sound like a Bond song! But Pixie's voice is not bad for the job, either, I think.

Comments

• gt007gt007 Station G
    Very Bondian orchestration indeed. Never heard the song before and I can't say I loved it, but the orchestration was really nice.

And that girl Pixie Lott has a beautiful voice. I wouldn't mind her doing the theme song for SKYFALL. She's a young, beautiful girl with a good voice (much better than the American first class pop singers) and appeal to younger audiences. Exactly what Sony would want, judging from their choice for Quantum.
    In fact, I prefer her to Adele for a Bond theme.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've heard a few of her previous songs, but never thought of her as a title song candidate. But after listening to that, I think she could do it, if not for SkyFall then Bond#24.
    Well impressed! Great orchestration! She certainly has future potential for a title song!
    I don't know. I like the orchestration, but not the singer. I felt like she wasn't bold enough. Adele has a very strong voice, with a wide range in which she can flaunt it. Pixie just has a raspy voice.

With Adele, I feel like she's telling a story just through her voice. With Pixie, I feel like she's talking.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Great orchestration, not keen on the voice. I don't think Pixie could handle this, it was too big for her. Maybe another song would have been better? Adele would have worked wonders. Pixie would still work with the right Bond theme though.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    It's impressive ! I've always thought she must sing a Bond theme song sooner or later.

She has such a voice, but the original song isn't suited at all in 007. Of course.
    I'm a fan of her (her debut album is great but the second is not so good) and I totally found her, Bondian voiced in "Cry Me Out" and "Mama Do", particularly. She'd be better in a powerful romantic way than trying to make it too Shirley 60's, as this one. But it's quite good, indeed.

Either a darker song, quiet, with some higher tones ; then she'd kick ass. It depends of course on the lyrics, rythm and song that'd be. She's 21, so her voice will be better and stronger with years (I hope so). Another point in, if she changes of style and keeps the pop away for a while.

For "Skyfall", Adele happened right on time, for me. In Bond 24 (I honestly wish a man to sing) probably not. In the 25th ? Certain. That's how it comes to me.