Diana Rigg on OHMSS, Laz and the garlic incident

edited February 2012 in News Posts: 1,492
This is something I never thought I would see. At signings and fan meets she never talks about OHMSS or The Avengers. This time she opens up.

And, remember, she was there - her views may be harsh but it all happened right in front of her.

Comments

It coroborates alot of what i had heard about the behind the scenes stuff! Not sure if it was his agent or the director? But they apparently said you are a film star now? Start acting like one!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Already posted about here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1561/bbc-programme-mark-lawson-talks-to...-diana-rigg#Item_8

It sure is nice to see her open up though and talk about it for the first time in a good number of years.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I remeber seeing this on tv, and was surprised at how she came across. I expected her to be prickly on the subject of OHMSS, but she was actually quite candid.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    nice find.....interesting subjects but for some reason, I can imagine some of those incidents to be true.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Already posted about here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1561/bbc-programme-mark-lawson-talks-to...-diana-rigg#Item_8

It sure is nice to see her open up though and talk about it for the first time in a good number of years.

Also check out this interview with Laz from last year where he talks about the garlic incident, posted by yours truly!

<url>http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/event_george_lazenby_qa.php3</url>;
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2012 Posts: 28,694
    It's good to be able to see the REAL George Lazenby off screen: A narcissistic, arrogant, womanizing, rude, belittling, and obnoxious pig.
    It's good to be able to see the REAL George Lazenby off screen: A narcissistic, arrogant, womanizing, rude, belittling, and obnoxious pig.

:-)) :-)) :-))
  • For whatever George got up to off screen, let's concentrate on his one appearance as 007 and admit it wasn't that bad. OK, having an Australian as Bond was a bit questionable but for his credit he didn't do too bad a job, always said I think he gets unfairly criticized by some. Granted he's not the best Bond we ever saw and never will be, but if not for his agent getting involved we've said before it would of been interesting to see him maybe one or two appearances more
    I like Lazenby....and think he does OK in the role. But I am afraid this is the one occasion where his personality overflowed into production and caused big problems. With this film you cannot seperate performance with off screen behaviour. They became interwined.

Granted, it doesnt take much to piss off Harry Saltzman, but it does take alot to tee off Cubby Broccoli and Diana Rigg and he succeeded magnificently.

To be honest we have Dame Diana, Peter Hunt and Ian Fleming for the successs of OHMSS. Not George Lazenby.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    actonsteve wrote:
    I like Lazenby....and think he does OK in the role. But I am afraid this is the one occasion where his personality overflowed into production and caused big problems. With this film you cannot seperate performance with off screen behaviour. They became interwined.

Granted, it doesnt take much to piss off Harry Saltzman, but it does take alot to tee off Cubby Broccoli and Diana Rigg and he succeeded magnificently.

To be honest we have Dame Diana, Peter Hunt and Ian Fleming for the successs of OHMSS. Not George Lazenby.

You're absolutely right. Laz is my personal least favourite 007 but thats not to say he didn't have his moments. I love OHMSS though.

I remember reading that Desmond would get quite annoyed on the set aswell. Apparently Saltzman told Laz to "behave like a film star" so he did! Idiot.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 401
    Sounds like the perfect candidate for Bond. Also, Rigg is just being pissy. She obviously doesn't care much for OHMSS, so it's not like she's going to say anything really nice about it.

Dr_Metz wrote:
    Sounds like the perfect candidate for Bond. Also, Rigg is just being pissy. She obviously doesn't care much for OHMSS, so it's not like she's going to say anything really nice about it.

She bigs it up. She cetainly has always liked the character of Tracy but it cant have been much fun being stuck on top of an alp for months at a time with a complete arsehole.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2012 Posts: 28,694
    actonsteve wrote:
    Dr_Metz wrote:

She bigs it up. She cetainly has always liked the character of Tracy but it cant have been much fun being stuck on top of an alp for months at a time with a complete arsehole.

And she had to act like she was deeply in love with said arsehole. I'm not a fan George, but I'm sure you like yourself enough for the both of us. >:P

This may all be true, but it actually worked quite well on screen. And aren't these traits rather similar to a certain fictional spy?
    Getafix wrote:

This may all be true, but it actually worked quite well on screen. And aren't these traits rather similar to a certain fictional spy?

If you're trying to pin that on Bond, you'd be dead wrong. He is quite confident, but not arrogant or narcissistic to the point where it affects his work. He womanizes, but he is in no way belittling or obnoxious. I'm going off the best blueprint, Sean, as well as the Fleming novels, whose portrayal has been irked over time.