Cappello gone

2»

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Apparently in all the history of the world cup and European championship the winning manager has only been foreign once.
    I'm still racking my brains to think who it was - maybe Uruguay 1950 or Denmark 1992?
  • Bring glen hoddle back!
    Denmark 92 was Richard Moller Nielsen. 1950 was Juan Lopez. Must have been another title. But hiring foreign talent has only recently become accepted for national teams, so small wonder it didn't happen too often before.
  • This is big news in Sweden. Many journalists seem to think that this will affect Eng in a negative way and that this is perfect for us in the euros. How do you think this will affect England in the euros 12?
    Apparently the only time in the history of the world cup and European championship it has been won by a foreign manager was Denmark 92 and Greece 04.
    And the common factor? Yes you've guessed it - both are Germans.

Can't really see the FA going down that route.
    Not sure how this will impact the team. Will have to wait and see. Frankly I don't think many people had particularly high hopes with Capello. I think if they do the right thing and appoint Harry (assuming Spurs let him go) then people will be really excited.
    Apparently the only time in the history of the world cup and European championship it has been won by a foreign manager was Denmark 92 and Greece 04.
    And the common factor? Yes you've guessed it - both are Germans.

Can't really see the FA going down that route.

92 was Richard Moller Nielsen, a Dane who even played for their team when he was an active player. 04 the Greece team had a German manager, Rhehagel. But the nobody expected them to win and their game was largely defensive. Such a simple tactic wouldn't work any more.

Having grown up watching heroic defeats in 1990 and 1996 and plucky peformances such as France 98, I am now fairly dissilusioned with the whole thing, even though these players were highly paid they weren't major celebrites and seemed to care about playing for England.

Now with the kind of egocentric arses we have representing are country I'm not sure I would even like to see them win anything, even though it's England!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm still trying to work out why Capello leaving is a time for England fans to celebrate?
    Surely his track record has something going for him. He is afterall one of the few to have such good statistics as an England manager behind him. Statistically he has better odds than Sir Alf Ramsey.
    As for Harry taking over, totally behind that if elected. My only question/s would be, will Harry want to give up Spurs after going so far with them? Could the FA overlook Harrys personal issues?
  • Getafix wrote:
    Not sure how this will impact the team. Will have to wait and see. Frankly I don't think many people had particularly high hopes with Capello. I think if they do the right thing and appoint Harry (assuming Spurs let him go) then people will be really excited.

I hope England can play good football this summer despite all the trouble and qualify From the groupstage as second after Sweden. England belongs in the top 8!
    Maybe he got a late part as a Bond baddie showing when James blow up the Italian Mafia during a coffee break... ;)
    Benny wrote:
    I'm still trying to work out why Capello leaving is a time for England fans to celebrate?
    Surely his track record has something going for him. He is afterall one of the few to have such good statistics as an England manager behind him. Statistically he has better odds than Sir Alf Ramsey.
    As for Harry taking over, totally behind that if elected. My only question/s would be, will Harry want to give up Spurs after going so far with them? Could the FA overlook Harrys personal issues?

His track record had something going for him when he came. However his track record with England is abject failure. And dont start with his statistics - qualifying and friendlies coutn for nothing. We are (in theory) one of the biggest countries in world football - merely getting to the tournament is not a benchmark of success in itself like it would be with the likes of Belgium, Macedonia or the jocks.

His tournament record in a pretty easy group (and the way we played) is nothing short of an embarassment. Every other coach who did similarly poorly was sacked but as usual the clowns at the FA dithered.

In addition his utter lack of respect for the job - ie barely bothering to learn English transmitted to the players who realised here was a mercenary who really didnt give a f**k so why should they? Admittedly they are as much to blame as Fabio because they were all an embarassment in South Africa as well but isnt it the managers job to get performances out of people?

He will go down as a great club manager but, unless he wins the world cup with Italy, someone