The Queen and Bond

edited February 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 344
One background figure has never changed from the first Ian Fleming novel to the Quantum of Solace film. Bond has always been in service to Queen Elizabeth II. She usually appears in portrait form on an office wall, but she has been mentioned a few times during the film series: Scaramanga's contempt at Bond's reward being "a hearty well done from Her Majesty the Queen" in The Man With The Golden Gun, and perhaps, most notably, and most aptly, in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, where Lazenby's Bond, apologises to her portrait, in what I think is a lovely moment.

On the year of her Diamond Jubilee, I wonder if any tiny reference will be made to her in Skyfall? Die Another Day was released in the year of her Golden Jubilee (2002) and included a scene outside Buckingham Palace; and the scene that brought audiences to their feet in the year of her Silver Jubilee (1977), Moore's Bond, and THAT Union Flag parachute scene in The Spy Who Loved Me, was regarded as a suitably tongue-in-cheek patriotic moment.

One day, of course, James Bond will serve in HIS Majesty's Secret Service, but not quite yet....

Comments

• edited February 2012 Posts: 940
    Yep, several light references, which is understandable.

Don't forget the quote from GE too: "God save the Queen."
    And TND: "For Queen and Country, James."

But in TB it was: "What I did this evening was for King and country." (a saying used regardless of gender)
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Difficult to imagine Bond working for Charlie boy.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I sure hope a reference is made. This is a connection that keeps the novels up to date and with the Queen almost appearing in the Doctor Who story, Silver Nemesis in 1988, I wonder is there hope for a split second cameo in a Bond film? She is a fan of the series, afterall.
    Getafix wrote:

It'll be William I would guess.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I sure hope a reference is made. This is a connection that keeps the novels up to date and with the Queen almost appearing in the Doctor Who story, Silver Nemesis in 1988, I wonder is there hope for a split second cameo in a Bond film? She is a fan of the series, afterall.
    Getafix wrote:

It'll be William I would guess.

Yeah, Prince Charles is not looking too fit these days...
    Will be kinda strange hearing everyone saying "His Majesty" if and when the old girl finally goes to the afterlife.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 940
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Will be kinda strange hearing everyone saying "His Majesty" if and when the old girl finally goes to the afterlife.

And having "Godddd save tttthe Kinggggg" at sporting events will be odd to imagine too!
  • I must have been sleeping but I didn't realize that DAD had definite nods to the Queens 50th anniversary year, I mean there was buckingham palace and the parachute fall over central London and Stephens Union Jack 'chute, London Calling by The Clash and all that, when you watch at the time you just get concentrate on it being a Bond film and watch the action, I wasn't even thinking about the royal celebrations, feel a bit embarrassed saying it, but I don't really care about the British royal family in my defense

Yes there was also references made in 1977 (25th year), what about Daylights for 35 though, well there was some snaps of London briefly, don't think that really counts. Now that it's been mentioned, I do feel there will be some definite acknowledgements made towards the Queen for Skyfall, the British empire, it's the 60th anniversary of her rule, 50th anniversary of Bond, I do feel there could be quite some references made and of course Craig has already been seen filming in London, so I hope we don't get too much of it. This is a James Bond movie, let the Queen and royal family do their own thing and try to leave it out of this upcoming release if they can help it. I'm sure Her Majesty doesn't sit at home and watch 007 films or get (Roger) Moore to walk her dogs around Regents Park. I hope they keep any royal nods to a minimum
  • You needn't worry Baltimore_007 it will be a slight reference, if that. I was just glancing at the preparations for the Diamond Jubilee and sucking a thoughtful tooth with regard to Bond and Elizabeth R. They go back a long way together. Fear not. We aren't going to get Prince Philip as the main villain in Skyfall. Although, that being said, I can imagine the Irish State Coach, kitted out with fiendish gadgets, would be an impressive vehicle.

As Fleming said, James Bond is a patriot, and also has more than a sliver of snobbery in his make up. It would take a brave man to insult Her Maj in his presence, I reckon.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    After watching The One Show tonight, I wouldn't mind 'Sir' Gary Barlow being the villain in SF. ;)

And Charles (or, should I say, George VII as he'll be) will be the next monarch. It's unthinkable he'll allow the crown to pass directly to posh boy Wills. For what it's worth, I rather like Charles; he's less robotic than many of 'em...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,882
    ... and he's got big jugs. Jug ears that is. :-\" If I don't make another post, just asume that i've been locked in the Tower Of London.
    It will be Charles before William! After waiting so long i cannot see him letting it pass him by?
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited February 2012 Posts: 1,699
    RogueAgent wrote:
    It will be Charles before William! After waiting so long i cannot see him letting it pass him by?

And if the Royals (or, to be precise, the Establishment) allowed the monarchy to skip a generation, then there'd inevitably be questions asked as to why.

Ever since democracy took a foothold in Britain, the Royals have had to face rising popularity in the idea of Republicanism - it never goes away and most certainly exists today - and jumping from Liz straight to William could be interpreted as a move of real weakness. That'd be anathema for the Windsors who are all about stable continuity. In short, unless something dramatic takes place between now and The Queen's death, it ain't going to happen...
  • Skipping a generation? Nope. There are some things that just aren't done, such as drinking Dom Perignon '53 above the temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit.

I see Sir Paul McCartney is performing at the Jubilee Concert. Hope Bond remembers his ear muffs if he is in the vicinity....
    Ah, the Jubilee Concert. Pray tell, didn't they do exactly the same thing in exactly the same place - also with acts representing each decade of The Queen's reign - ten years ago? You would've thought they'd be able to come up with something a little more original for the centrepiece of the commemoration this time.
    I see Sir Paul McCartney is performing at the Jubilee Concert. Hope Bond remembers his ear muffs if he is in the vicinity....

tumblr_lw9tffgGNd1r55n19o1_500.jpg

Sacriledge... ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    St_George wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

And if the Royals (or, to be precise, the Establishment) allowed the monarchy to skip a generation, then there'd inevitably be questions asked as to why.

Ever since democracy took a foothold in Britain, the Royals have had to face rising popularity in the idea of Republicanism - it never goes away and most certainly exists today - and jumping from Liz straight to William could be interpreted as a move of real weakness. That'd be anathema for the Windsors who are all about stable continuity. In short, unless something dramatic takes place between now and The Queen's death, it ain't going to happen...

They'd be no pressure on the Royals to have a younger, more 'modern' King at all?

I know nothing about this at all mind, just my question, so sorry if I'm very wide of the mark SG.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    St_George wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

They'd be no pressure on the Royals to have a younger, more 'modern' King at all?

I know nothing about this at all mind, just my question, so sorry if I'm very wide of the mark SG.

Well, I'd hardly call myself an expert, but like I said stable continuity and tradition is what the Royal Family is all about. Modernisation when it comes to them (and, again, the Establishment) will only ever go so far...
    St_George wrote:

Sacriledge... ;)
    No plastic surgery there, obviously.

Dr_Metz wrote:
    St_George wrote:

Sacriledge... ;)

Makes me wonder what on earth he is doing pulling a face like that? :))
    Dr_Metz wrote:

To be fair, to me looks like a shot from the '80s at the latest...