Have the films since MR suffered from Ken Adam's absence?

2»

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited April 2012 Posts: 5,997
    I agree that the "look" of the sets has declined considerably since Adam retired. But we also don't have over-the-top villains and plots as often anymore, so maybe more realistic sets fit.

As much as I love CR, I think they overdid it with two construction sites in one movie.
    echo wrote:
    I agree that the "look" of the sets has declined considerably since Adam retired. But we also don't have over-the-top villains and plots as often anymore, so maybe more realistic sets fit.

As much as I love CR, I think they overdid it with two construction sites in one movie.

Agree. CR felt bloated to me - too much packed into one movie. Despite its faults, I felt QoS was a better, more stylish and leaner movie. Just my opinion.
    Yes absolutely they have suffered. Gassner's opera set is the only interesting set in the Bond series of the last 30 years. And no, I'm not exaggerating.

With that said, the Bond films that DIDN'T feature Ken Adam during his era didn't necessarily suffer: OHMSS comes to mind. Ken Adam didn't work on that film, but yet Piz Gloria was so monumental.

I'm optomistic for Skyfall. In a way the limited budget is a blessing because it forces Gassner and the producers to come up with some creative for the set design
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,425
    I thought the opera 'set' in QoS was a real location. Did they build it specially?
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,497
    They might have filmed inside an opera for certain shots of the audience, I don't know for certain.

But they did make the backdrop:

tosca_pi_bearb.jpg
    JBFan626 wrote:
    They might have filmed inside an opera for certain shots of the audience, I don't know for certain.

But they did make the backdrop:

tosca_pi_bearb.jpg

I see - the actual set on the stage was designed by Gassner. Pretty sure the auditorium is permanent or at least was already in place at that moment.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,497
    You are right in fact. Here's a pretty cool link about the space:

<url>http://laughingsquid.com/the-marvelous-floating-stage-of-the-bregenz-festival-in-austria/</url>;
    Have the films suffered in the set department since MR? I don't think so.
    those bigger than life extravaganzas calling for outlandish sets had their place. After MR there was no more real need for them.
    The sets in OP, AVTAK seemed very relevant.
    But GE, TND, TWINE and DUD all tried to be old-school, 'big' Bond movies. However, none of the sets were memorable, perhaps with the exception of the Ice Palace in DUD.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    You are right in fact. Here's a pretty cool link about the space:

<url>http://laughingsquid.com/the-marvelous-floating-stage-of-the-bregenz-festival-in-austria/</url>;

The QOS set is defiantly the best out of that lot!