Should the producers use Fleming stories that they missed ala Moonraker

edited January 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 71
As they have went back to the start of the character the arguement is there that perhaps we could now get some of the original stories that they missed earlier on in the series....Moonraker springs to mind as does YOLT & MWTGG....

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    A few bits of Moonraker were used in DAD. Though, no missing material from YOLT and TMWTGG came back.

Though, I do think that Jeffery Wright would do the shark biting scene great.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 774
    That's the one thing I don't like about the movies. That plots were combined from some books, leaving other films without key parts. Eg. The novel Live and Let Die was heavily used in Dr No. And parts from the literary Live and Let Die that weren't used (because they wouldn't make sense due to some parts of the novel being used in Dr No) in the film Live and Let Die were used in For Your Eyes Only. Another part used in Licence To Kill.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2012 Posts: 5,990
    Yes, this has been discussed elsewhere.

IIRC, the parts that have yet to be adapted are a fair amount of MR (although GE and DAD draw upon it), parts of DAF, all of TSWLM (forbidden by Fleming), most of YOLT, and most of TMWTGG. In addition, there is still unused content from the short stories FAVTAK, QoS, THR (notably Liz Krest and Krest's death), and 007 In New York (although you could argue that the end of QoS is a loose adaptation).

I feel that the Bond movies are almost always stronger when they go back to Fleming. TMWTGG, MR, and AVTAK are my three least favorite movies, and they all deviate substantially from their sources. In contrast, the first four films, OHMSS, TLD, and CR are fairly faithful and are stronger films for it. Even FYEO and OP are best when they use Fleming.
    I would like them to have used a remaining Fleming Title for the new film. Seeing as they did for DC's first two movies!
  • I agree. The Bond films are stronger when they go back to Fleming. But DN and FRWL were stronger because they captured "Bond" with Fleming alive and also because of Terrence Young arguably the best director of Bond films.
    TSWLM despite Fleming not wanting them to use any of the source novel,some inspiration did manage to get into the film. The two gangsters in the book who are killed by Bond, one is described as bald and the other has steele teeth...can someone say Sandor and Jaws?

Intersting how they take things from one book and apply to two or more movies:
    FYEO uses elements of the stories FYEO and Risico
    LTK has characters and scenes from LALD as well as The Hildebrand Rarity