Who was who?

edited January 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 4
This might screw up a few people's theories, but Bond was based on Bruce-Lockhart, not on Stephenson. Both an Uncle and Ian Fleming became spooks based on Bruce-Lockhart's influence. He represented a previous generation, but all were related. Ian was a cousin and Bruce-Lockhart is somehow connected to the Fleming family as well. Stephenson was M. This is family history, but if you read Bruce-Lockhart's " Memoirs of a British Agent" you will see the similarities to Bond's characteristics.

Stanley Baldwin was another cousin, hence the "moving in high circles".

All in the family history, so just setting the record straight.

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ^
    What's this thread supposed to be for??
  • Its the actual history of who influenced Ian Fleming and why the character of Bond was written the way it was. The source is firsthand from the aforementioned uncle who was with MI6 for more than two decades. He and Ian Fleming were cousins.
  • Oh, and Jack Fleming ( great,great uncle ) was married to Trix Kipling, so there is a Kipling influence as well in Fleming's writings. Jack was also much larger than life during his younger days and had a huge effect on many family members, including Ian.

Truth is always far more interesting than inferrence!
    In the book "the durable desperadoes" by William Vivian Butler it is also suggested that the clubland heroes such as Bulldog Drummond, Dornford Yates, Francis Beeding, Buchans' hero from 39 steps.. Ian Fleming said more than once that his original intention had merely been to produce a updated version of Bulldog Drummond and similar pre-war thriller series.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,894
    Moved from News to General Discussion.
  • Don't dispute that. You have to remember though that it has only been very recently that the British secret service has been an available topic of conversation ( mostly owing to the end of the cold war and the deaths of those directly involved ) Is it not plausible that people within a family may have drawn from each other's experiences, particularly so when several had the same occupation? I am simply repeating what I heard first hand from the aforementioned Uncle.