AFJB doesn't exist anymore.

edited January 2012 in News Posts: 5,812
I know that Usenet is not what it once was (to put it mildly), but this came as a shock to me: The group alt.fan.james-bond was retired this morning from my newsgroups. I tried to find it, but it seems it doesn't exist anymore. Now, it was only a shadow of its former self (seems like I was one of the few old timers that still spent some time wading through it all), but it's still a part of my years in Bond fandom that has disappeared. Anyone of you have had the same experience?

Comments

• ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    Wow. That takes me back. I was a regular visitor to that newsgroup back in the late 90s but I probably stopped using a newsreader about 10 years ago.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Did you look via google groups? It was alive yesterday.
    I don't use Google Groups much.

BTW, another group has fallen to the purge in my news server: Rec.arts.comics.DC.universe. (RACDU for short). Note that we didn't see many messages anymore.
    I was an active user (hmss) in the 90's as well. It has been years since I had been on it and last I remember it was mostly spam that was being posted on that site.
  • I was an actice user in the past (under two different user names at different times) but haven't been there for a very long time. It was increasingly filled with spammers and trolls which was a shame as it contained some incredibly intelligent discussions.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    This will give you access to AFJB if your newsserver has retired it. It's still active, well, by that I mean one or two posts a week:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.james-bond/topics?gvc=2&pli=1
    There is now a "AFJB" on Facebook - "FBAFJB." MANY of the old regulars are there. If you would like to join, let me know.

Tom Zielinski