I'm more excited than ever about Skyfall after reading Daniel Craig's recent comments.

edited January 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 224
He uses the words "event", "family experience", "entertain" to describe past Bond movies and what he wants "Skyfall" to be. I'm from the Roger Moore era. And I recall Bond movies back then actually being an "event". They were the kind of movies that you could take a family to. You came out of the movie entertained. Bond movies back then stood out because they had their own formula. They didn't try to copy another movie. In fact, others tried to copy Bond; THAT is the ultimate compliment. Man, I hope Skyfall comes to be what Craig wants. That would be the ultimate tip of one's hat to celebrate 50 years.

Comments

Sorry, but how exactly do you want this to be a discussion?
    And it isn't 'news'.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 7,570
    Moved to Bond Movies.

Yes they were events in the 70s because no one else took them on. In the 80s Indiana Jones came along, then Die Hard, Bourne and all the big action heroes. Bond was one of many.

Having said that, in the 70s the Bonds still absorbed influences. As we have said many times on here LALD gave a nod to the popular blacksploitation movies, TMWTGG to the Kung Fu craze, TSWLM to Jaws, MR to Star Wars.

Bond was influential, but they were also influenced.
  • Times have changed the pg13 and 12 rating have pushed the limits of family entertainment if skyfall is soft and jokey up against harder edged movies it will look like johnny english
  • Skyfall won't be as you described it from what you put I really don't feel. First off, Craig since taking over the role has seen a definitive reduction on unnecessary perhaps childish humor that Brosnan brought to the part in his latter appearances. Obviously no-one as yet has seen Bond XXIII and we don't fully know what to expect, but one would assume it will be in the same territory as what Craig gave us before it, a hard edged reality and a minimum on soft antics such as we have seen in recent years before it. I expect another hard nosed adventure and I'm quietly confident, and why do we feel the need to compare it to other movies of similar genre. Bond should be individual, there's really no need sometimes to look out for similar releases and make comparisons.

Craig will be fully aware as with everyone else that next year is a big deal, no reminders necessary of the importance of release and it's historical significance, I don't expect a variation of any similar rival genre, well I hope not, later this year, just Craig getting back to how he started out and giving us a damn fine movie fitting of the half century celebrations. I think actually from all that I have seen and read it may well be worth the wait
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 3,169
    Ellis wrote:
    I'm from the Roger Moore era. And I recall Bond movies back then actually being an "event". They didn't try to copy another movie.
    So LALD wasn't inspired partly by 'Shaft', TMWTGG the Bruce Lee movies and MR by 'Star Wars'?
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Zekidk wrote:
    Ellis wrote:
    I'm from the Roger Moore era. And I recall Bond movies back then actually being an "event". They didn't try to copy another movie.
    So LALD wasn't inspired partly by 'Shaft', TMWTGG the Bruce Lee movies and MR by 'Star Wars'?

But how many action/adventure movies were inspired by Bond in some way? Pretty much all of them. The Bond films are the measuring stick and broke groung in many different ways. Much more so them Shaft or Bruce Lee's films.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Bond films have always been "event" films to a certain degree. Heck back in the 90s I remember being very excited about seeing Pierce in another Bond film and coming out entertained each time. Even DAD was an "event" movie. I remember seeing footage of the premier at the royal Albert Hall.

I think it's a given that SF will also be an "event" film. There's been a lot of hype and anticipation and one also has to take into account the 4 year gap.

BUT bear in mind also that one of the BIG differences between now and the 60s/70s is the creation/advancement of home entertainment systems. You didn't see the film in the cinema back then chances are you would have to wait several years before it came on tv. Perhaps that's why Bond movies were bigger then than now.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited January 2012 Posts: 4,399
    Zekidk wrote:
    Ellis wrote:

and lets not also forget, while Bond did have his car chase moments in the earlier films - the explosion of popularity of such sequences in films like Bullitt (1968) and The French Connection (1971) it forced its way into the Bond films a lot more as an action set piece than it was in earlier films.