Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol and Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows Discussion Thread

edited January 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 4,762
The year of 2011 sure did go out with a bang! Although I saw MI:GP two weeks ago and SH:AGOS eariler tonight, I still found them to be a great way to end 2011. Both are amazing movies and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I was able to follow MI:GP much more than SH:AGOS, but then again probably so did everyone else. Sherlock Holmes was still surprisingly action-filled, and I loved the scenes on the train and when they were running away from the Germans in the woods. What do you think about 2011's ending action movies?

Comments

• Mission: Impossible was the clear winner to me.
    Mission IV was so amazing.

Sherlock felt too familiar. I wish Holmes didn't act so 'lit', *cough* 'light' all the time. To me it seems too generic british, like hes.. well.. acting.

On the other hand, MI brought something, actually alot new to the table from its previous installments, had great humor, great acting, great-ish plot, and awesome stunt/action/gadget scenes. The perfect spy flick.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Sherlock 2 was great. Moriarty was so close to the Moriarty of the fantastic short stories, Jude is a top notch Watson, and Stephen Fry as Mycroft was a hilarious affair. The beautiful Kelly Reilly played Mary well, and got a much larger part this time. Downey is good a Holmes, but I just wish that the character was closer to the short stories. More in the vain of the superior Sherlock BBC series. And that series carries the emotional weight heavier than Sherlock 2 the film.

MI4 was action packed, and we got to see a return of Ethan and Benji with great company. A talented and interesting Renner, a sexy Patton, and a slew of others that added to the chaos. Some things that arise are shocking, and the film got me to shed a tear at the very thoughtful conclusion. I don't think I could choose between the two. Both Guy Ritchie and Brad Bird carried out great direction, and I'd love for each to return respectively in the future.

The end of 2011 saved the year of film!
  • I got to see both before the end of the year, and loved both!
    - M:I - Ghost Protocol was a better film overall for me, and my favourite in the M:I series. Sherlock Holmes 2 was also great, although i do prefer the first Guy Richie Holmes film of the two. (I was pretty disapointed that we didn't get any fight scenes like the one in the boxing ring in the first, with the brutal slow-motion punches that created a brilliant ripple effect on the victim's body)
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    both of these were great.

GP was action packed, I really enjoyed this. Definetly one of, if not THE, best spy film of the last 10 years. Simon pegg was funny, cruise and renner kicked ass, this was a great film.

I also saw sherlock holmes and I was really suprised. I'd never really bothered with sherlock holmes before but I really enjoyed this new version. There was alot of action and comedy, which I didn't expect. The fight scenes were great and I liked the way he saw exactly what was coming. The final fight scene was also great, even though they didn't actually fight. I honestly didn't expect him to survive after he fell of the edge (I found out recently that it was in one of the books, so big sherlock fans probably already knew, but for me it was a suprise). I loved the ending, but my favourite part was probably the bit on the train. Also I was impressed with robert downey jr, he was great. I'd only ever seen him in iron man and due date so I didn't really realise what a great actor he was until now.

Also another thing I thought of while watching sherlock holmes was that robert downey jr would make an awesome james bond. I can't really choose between these 2 films, I loved both.

MY FAVE 2011 FILMS

1-sherlock holmes 2/mission impossible 4

2- the inbetweeners movie

3- senna

4- the hangover part 2

5- tinkor tailor soldier spy
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Also I was impressed with robert downey jr, he was great. I'd only ever seen him in iron man and due date so I didn't really realise what a great actor he was until now.

Also another thing I thought of while watching sherlock holmes was that robert downey jr would make an awesome james bond. I can't really choose between these 2 films, I loved both.

Downey's a great actor, but not the best, best Holmes. He plays his too manic, while the novels and the new Sherlock BBC series, the character is much truer to the short stories in that there isn't insane action going on and Sherlock is more rooted in the case than doing experiments on a dog(Gladston), or sitting in his room for days upon days and he freaks out when Watson opens the shutters. Downey is good, but Benedict Cumberbatch is supreme, and I'd love to see him in Sherlock films somewhere along the line. He is #2 to Jeremy Brett's #1.
    Two brilliant films, need i say more. They really need to hurry up on Sherlock 3 and MIV
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 7,653
    Virage wrote:
    Two brilliant films, need i say more. They really need to hurry up on Sherlock 3 and MIV

It will be quite amusing if they get to the sixth one: MI6.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    SaintMark wrote:
    Virage wrote:

It will be quite amusing if they get to the sixth one: MI6.

Great point! I'd never noticed that. Even the next one is funny: MI5.
  • Also I was impressed with robert downey jr, he was great. I'd only ever seen him in iron man and due date so I didn't really realise what a great actor he was until now.

Downey's a great actor, but not the best, best Holmes. He plays his too manic, while the novels and the new Sherlock BBC series, the character is much truer to the short stories in that there isn't insane action going on and Sherlock is more rooted in the case than doing experiments on a dog(Gladston), or sitting in his room for days upon days and he freaks out when Watson opens the shutters. Downey is good, but Benedict Cumberbatch is supreme, and I'd love to see him in Sherlock films somewhere along the line. He is #2 to Jeremy Brett's #1.

Well I never read the short stories so maybe thats why I like downey better, I'd never really bothered with sherlock holmes until now. But I did see, and enjoyed, afew of the modern sherlock episodes with Benedict Cumberbatch in and he was pretty good too, but I preferred downey.

If an american ever does play james bond, I think robert downey jr should be the one to do it.
    Also I was impressed with robert downey jr, he was great. I'd only ever seen him in iron man and due date so I didn't really realise what a great actor he was until now.

Well I never read the short stories so maybe thats why I like downey better, I'd never really bothered with sherlock holmes until now. But I did see, and enjoyed, afew of the modern sherlock episodes with Benedict Cumberbatch in and he was pretty good too, but I preferred downey.

If an american ever does play james bond, I think robert downey jr should be the one to do it.

I don't see Downey as Bond. At all. You should give the Jeremy Brett Sherlock episodes a look. He was to Sherlock Holmes what Sean Connery was/is to Bond.