Internet connection advice.

MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
edited January 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 13,894
Ok, so i'm starting to suspect that someone in my area might be piggybacking of my connection. In as lamens as possible, what steps can I take to put a stop to this?

Comments

Changing your WEP key (password) would be the first thing to do. If you have the IP address of your router (looks something like 192.168.1.1 - you may be able to look this up online, just type it into google) put this into the address bar of your browser. From here there should be something that resembles a 'security' section, and inside that there should be a password reset function.
  • Buy a Mac and do the password thing.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    No need a waste the money on a MAC, just simply config your router as password protected so nobody can steal your feed. That is how my system is set up in my house.
  • A MAC is never a waste of money...of course you can also be hi-jacked by visiting certain sites or clicking on some links.

Use the WOT system or configure your browser preferences for better security.

Oh and buy a MAC.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    A waste of money as in, if you don't have it no need to spend it, just to block people from stealing your connection. There are simpler ways
  • tech- question...myfi gadgets are they open to abuse?
    yep, password protect asap!