OHMSS Lazenby's Original Voice

2»

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    00Beast wrote:
    jackdagger wrote:
    I don't have it on DVD (yet, I really have to get on that) but I found it on Youtube. XD

Goldfinger sounds way more sinister with his natural voice...

Indeed! A shame that they couldn't use Frobe's real voice, for whatever reasons.

His limited English was too difficult to understand, apparently.
  • Whoa. I just watched that trailer. He's real voice is much better. It's actually menacing as opposed to the goofy dub they gave the character. It probably completely changed the performance.
    I never liked the dubbing for the Sir Hilary Bray section, i find it really distracting and ruins the entire segment for me, dubbing just doesn't work for me, I'm sure Lazenby's own voice would have been fine!
  • Can anyone tell me why the WHOLE movie is post-dubbed or adr'd - there is no actual on-set dialogue in the film - sounds fake, especially when played through a home cinema system. Still a GREAT movie tho! ;)
  • Frobe's English was about as poor as some of our (mi6 participants) German equivalent, so they didn't have much choice in having the character dubbed over, but it never really spoils the overall 'enjoyment' of the film, and you never really notice it, especially after countless viewings

I never watch OHMSS much now, it's not too bad a (Bond) movie, but just prefer other titles when time permits itself. I'll have to watch the scenes in question again sometime with Lazenby and the Bray character and see what all the furore is about, it never really spoiled too much for me, or was that noticeable. But again, why couldn't they have just used George's voice for it, did he have a throat infection at time of filming? I thought he was a good Bond, despite having an antipodean play the part of James Bond 007. Ridiculous in retrospect, but he did do a good job, but they should of stayed with his own voice for the scenes in question

Has anyone asked the same question, "What if Connery had played the part?" Would his clipped English accent have faired any better than Lazenby's effort? I have no doubt that the film makers would have dubbed/replaced Connery's voice if he had been impersonating Sir Hilary Bray in very much the same fashion. Personally it doesn't bother me as it shows what a brilliant impersonator James Bond is.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    bondsum wrote:
    Has anyone asked the same question, "What if Connery had played the part?" Would his clipped English accent have faired any better than Lazenby's effort? I have no doubt that the film makers would have dubbed/replaced Connery's voice if he had been impersonating Sir Hilary Bray in very much the same fashion. Personally it doesn't bother me as it shows what a brilliant impersonator James Bond is.

That's a very good point!
  • I agree that the use of the Hilary Bray voice showed us that Bond wasnt just undercover as a alias but as a fantastically skilled impersonator, apart from the bit when 'Hilary Bray' who supposably doesn't like girls starts to bed them!
  • That was a bit of an error on Lazenbys part wasn't it. I bet young George got a bit carried away in that release..
  • It would have been a funny nod to the audience if he started talking like Connery! J/k
    Lazenby gets critisized for his acting in ohmss but i think they are actully critisizing him for his voice when he isn't dubbed.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondsum wrote:

They would still have had to use George Baker for as we know be it Russian sub commander, Irish-American cop, Spanish swordsman Sean has absolutely no versatility at all.
  • God I'm picturing Sean in that kilt with Baker's voice coming out of him--- so cheesy!! Like in DAF when Saxby's voice was dubbed over Connery. Even cheesier than Lazenby's version

It's too bad that the 'original' recording isn't out there somewhere (yet) because George had said many times in interviews that he did indeed try to copy Baker's voice on his own-- and it wasn't until the movie was released that he found that they had dubbed right over him. They pulled a 'David Prowse' on him! :P
    I agree with all the above. Connery had no vocal versatility and at times even struggled with his ironed out English accent as 007, so there's no doubt he would have ended up being dubbed just as George did for the Sir Hilary part of the movie. And as @Master_Dahark pointed out Connery was also dubbed when using the voice box in DAF, even though we the audience saw Connery speaking into the phone rather than the voice being altered at the recieving end.
  • I just wish we could watch the movie with Lazenbys actual voice !!
  • Was Lazenby dubbed for the entire film or just the Hilray Bray scenes?

I can't tell if his actual accent was used for the film but here's an interview but I still can't be certain after watching this:

• Not the entire film, No. Seems to be half and half from what I could ascertain, but see no reason why they simply couldn't have allowed George to speak naturally. I don't know, just seems improper that any dubbing was deemed necessary at all ?

Thing is, whenever I watch OHMSS, I tend to focus on the fact that Lazenby did a very good job of things without paying special attention to spoken aspects