Epic Disasters: When films spin out of control.

2»

Comments

• Aeon Flux potentially. There's a good film there somewhere, and I'm rather fond of the whole post apocalyptic utopia setting (see Equilbrium). The stunts are good, the film looks great and Charlize Theron is good in it. From what I recall, the studio edited it down a lot and rather diluted it. Granted it was never going to be a good film, mere popcorn entertainment ( which is by no means a bad thing), but Aeon Flux is a case of good potential, poor end result.
    So the thread which was about movies where a lot went wrong while they were being made is turned into a personal list of movies disliked.

What a waste of time.

And only a short while away from a session of DAD/Brosnan bashing.

The article about Arnolds movie and how it all went wrong was an interesting read. thank you.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've not seen the film myself, but it sounds like Caligula (1979) had a troubled production.

Not that the film encountered problems once shooting began, but Freddy vs Jason took it's time to get made, 10 years in fact. Actually it might've taken longer considering New Line wanted to make FvJ before JGTH, hence them aquiring the F13 films. The R2 copy of JGTH has in the extras an article printed by Fangoria that charted the history of FvJ and it's many, many writers. [/ramble]

Fitzcarraldo anyone? Recasting, an imfamous Klaus Kinski meltdown, reshoots & dysentery earn Fitzcarraldo a place in this thread.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Talking about utterly crap movies, that are so silly, that they are awesome:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080391/
    I once watched it back to back with Kentucky Fried Movie...
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    And then, there is JAWS - THE REVENGE... A shark pursuing the Brody Family form Amity to the Bahamas, standing on its tiptoe and roaring... Michael Caine later said about his participation in the movie: " actually never watched itm, but people told me it was terribly bad. But I know the house it built, and the house is beautiful."
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    And then, there is JAWS - THE REVENGE... A shark pursuing the Brody Family form Amity to the Bahamas, standing on its tiptoe and roaring...

or how about Ellen Brody having flashbacks to memories she didn't have lol.... not to mention, that the shark - when it gets struck by the boat, explodes for no reason.

HASEROT wrote:
    And then, there is JAWS - THE REVENGE... A shark pursuing the Brody Family form Amity to the Bahamas, standing on its tiptoe and roaring...

or how about Ellen Brody having flashbacks to memories she didn't have lol.... not to mention, that the shark - when it gets struck by the boat, explodes for no reason.

Yeah, and first it eats Mario van Peebles, but once it blows up, he appears still alive and not injured (no shark bites, no explosion damage)... This movie is raeally one big silly turkey...

But it paid for refurbishing of Micheal Caine's house. :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    HASEROT wrote:
    all the drama surrounding Sony and Sam Raimi from pre-production on Spider-man 3 through his eventual quitting of the franchise... what a bloody mess that turned out to be.... this is an example of a studio that wanted too much creative control, that ended in a disaster...

Spider-man and Spider-man 2 were two amazing superhero movies, though i prefer 2 over the first one for it's deeper storyline (also has a cool soundtrack too lol).. but the studio, feeling the pressure from fans to include Venom, forced Raimi to include him into the film - initially Raimi refused, and only wanted to have Sandman as a central villain, while still having the struggle between Peter and Harry (with Harry obviously becoming the new Goblin).. but he eventually bowed the Sony's wish, but as an FU, he merely made him into a side character, seeing as how there was no room for him in the actual story..... and it's no secret that Raimi, a Spider-man fan, has no love affair for Venom........

the end result of all of this was what we got in Spider-man 3..

Sony wanted Raimi to return, and do 3 more films... Sam reluctantly agreed to do so, but advised that he wanted to have creative control over the stories, and what villains to use and so forth.. Sony agreed on this handshake deal... so Raimi started work on Spider-man 4, with talks of having The Vulture as the main and only villain... then the studio started to stick it's nose back into the mix... some execs made suggestions, about changing the Vulture's sex to female, or him having a female sidekick called Vulturess... these suggestions started to turn back into demands - and before long, Sam Raimi had enough, and quit the project - citing too much studio interference.... on the heels of Raimi quitting, so did Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst... their only reason for wanting to do another Spider-man movie was because of Raimi, with him now gone, they had no reason to stay..

whats weird, is that apparently, the entire time, Sony had hired another writer to write a reboot script... - from the best of my knowledge, this script was written before Raimi eventually signed back on to do a 4th.... Sony kept the script instead of discarding it... so when Raimi walked with his script to Spider-man 4, Sony had a backup plan..... i find this weird, because could this had been Sony's plan all along? To force Raimi out? or was it all happenstance?.. who knows..

so what we got now, is a rebooted Spider-man franchise that is only 10 years old, creatively controled by the studio, and not the director..

it's hard for to be unbias in this whole matter, because I have great respect for Raimi, and I know he takes undue flack for the outcome of Spider-man 3, when if the studio didn't try to take their creative switchblade to it - it's could've turned out much much better..... so, I really do hope the new Spider-man reboot is a critical failure... i know it wont bomb, because it's a successful franchise... but i honestly hope it's just so terrible, that it warrants no future sequels.

Poor Sam. I never knew all this, and I don't blame Sam, Tobey, and Kirsten from bailing. I would've too. Spiderman 3 never happened anyway. 1 and 2 are the only films in the series. ;)
    Three words: "Paint Your Wagon". I've heard that, no matter how often it's screened or aired, it will never recover its costs. But one good thing came of it: it pushed Clint Eastwood to start his own production company so that he could reign in the costs himself. The rest is movie history. (and he didn't sing too badly either).
    Gerard wrote:
    Three words: "Paint Your Wagon". I've heard that, no matter how often it's screened or aired, it will never recover its costs. But one good thing came of it: it pushed Clint Eastwood to start his own production company so that he could reign in the costs himself. The rest is movie history. (and he didn't sing too badly either).

I do like that movie, it never fails to make me grin.

I'm watching Batman & Robin atm =))

That film was centred entirely around toys.
  • Alien 3. I liked the idea of a wooden planet - I wish they went with it. Having said that Alien 3 was ok thanks to the British cast.

Alien 4 had its moments but the human alien hybrid was not good not good at all.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Alien 3. I liked the idea of a wooden planet - I wish they went with it. Having said that Alien 3 was ok thanks to the British cast.

Alien 4 had its moments but the human alien hybrid was not good not good at all.

Alien 3 was alright - it wasn't great, but it was decent... props to David Fincher on that being his first directed big feature film.... Alien Resurrection was a total waste of time for me though.

HASEROT wrote:
    Alien 3. I liked the idea of a wooden planet - I wish they went with it. Having said that Alien 3 was ok thanks to the British cast.

Alien 3 was alright - it wasn't great, but it was decent... props to David Fincher on that being his first directed big feature film.... Alien Resurrection was a total waste of time for me though.

I liked the cloned Ripley a lot and the ideas weren't that bad, especially the underwaterscenes on the spaceship were quite well done. There was also a reversal in the androids which I liked. The movie was chockfull of these little flashes of brilliance. I wonder how much Joss Whedon was responsible for that.
    However I am still not sure about the design of the human/alien. But its story did fit in with the Ripley / Newt / lost daughter / mother theme.

edited January 2012 Posts: 1,261
    BAIN123 wrote:

There was a film between all them toys?
    :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =))
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:

Indeed - and it was "chilling" ;)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Indeed - and it was "chilling" ;)

(in Awnold voice)
    i think it's time to cool it with the puns.
    Here are some wonderful IMDB reviews for JAWS: THE REVENGE.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093300/reviews