Series (film novel etc) that should have Video game counterparts.

edited January 2012 in 007 Gaming Posts: 9,770
i had this on the old mi6 forum and i figured why not Develop it here.

1. Mission Impossible Series.
I loved the n64 game and Operation Sumra (sure it was a splinter cell knock off but I was fine with it)

And after seeing Ghost protocol Man i would love a new mission Impossible game for the 360 with voice overs from tom Wilkinson, Simon Pegg maybe even Tom Cruise would be cool.

2. Die Hard

Yes Die hard Naktomie Plaza is great but think of how much better it could be on 360/ps3 better grahpics better AI etc plus original stories with mclane are always welcomed

3. Macgyver
Going to TV for this one Honestly people complain that old school stealth games are dead A macgyver game would change that No gun no explosives no gadgets but still being able to slip in and out of terrorist buildings undetected using what you find. I can think of a few episodes that could fit the games plot but honestly a simple Hit is trying to kill Macgyver and everyone he holds close fill it with a few cool locations and bam you got a great game.

4. Jaws: the NES game was fun Unleashed sucked personally with the right developer trying to track a 25 ft great white shark and other aquatic and dangerous creatures could make for a fun doomesque horror game.

5. The A-team: annoyingly in march there is a game called Spec ops that to me smells like game that was going to be the a-team game but because the film did poor at the box office it got remade into an original game. That said I figure have 10 levels but 4 different ways to play it (as Hannibal B.A. Face and Murdoc have their own stories) It could rock.

6. Halloween, Playing as a new character (guy or girl your choice) in the Myers blood line and due to the curse of thorn Myers has to kill you. put it in a free roam town over run by the cult of thorn and Michael and you have a great horror game. (not you can do similar things with Friday the 13th and Nightmare on elm street)

7. Highlander. they almost made a game based on this but for some reason they stopped and the company went bankrupt and now the game is gone forever but look at the trailer and you can see why I'm pissed

Dam it this game would of been awesome sigh:(

8. The Geneva Deception: what is it a great novel by James Twining and part of me would love to play as tom kirk in a video game adaption of this novel.

9. Beverly Hills cop why ... why not!

Thats as far as I'm going how about you?

On a side not if you know of even an undergorund (fan made) mission impossible or jaws or whatever game let me know.

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    RoboCop. RoboCop needs a video game, since it's probably not getting another movie/TV miniseries any time soon.

Can we get any more Star Wars games the quality of The Force Unleashed, please?

I agree with Die Hard, because Nakatomi Plaza was good, and (amazingly enough) Vendetta was okay. Plus, we need more left-handed video game characters.

Say, how about an RPG based on Dune? I bet that would be awesome.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited January 2012 Posts: 4,399
    other than the ones mentioned above...

The Punisher.... I loved the 2004 video game, but i have often said that an open world sandbox style game, where you can do a variety of things - in the vein of Red Dead Redemption - where there is a main story, but also side missions to "punish" wanted criminals... this is a character that might not endure big screen success (yet).. but one that could be a huge hit on the videogame market if given the proper treatment.... i could picture a storyline, encompassing his entire origin - so we are with Frank when his family is slain in Central Park by Billy Russo and other mafiosos... we see Frank get his revenge on Russo and Costa crime family... and then Frank has to fend off relentless attacks by the now facially disfigured and deformed Billy Russo aka 'Jigsaw'.

Indiana Jones.... i am a fan of the Lego Indiana Jones games, because of the playful lighthearted romp through the movies... but i would like a realistic Indiana Jones game - the last one i recall was "Staff Of Kings" for the Wii, and "Emporer's Tomb" for both the Xbox and PS2... it's been long enough - and playing a game like Assassin's Creed, and it's attention to detail in regards to history and lore only makes me yern for an Indiana Jones game even more.... they could be based off the films, or it's own story - either way, I want to play as Indy again, and not his lego counterpart.

Friday the 13th.... maybe not in the way the NES game was made - but what if you played as Jason, and got to go around and slaughter endless amounts of teenagers... it could be comic/bloody fun lol.... but if you went the horror route, it could be done fairly easy i think... picture a game like Condemned: Criminal Origins - but with Jason coming after you lol.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    HASEROT wrote:
    The Punisher.... this is a character that might not endure big screen success (yet)

And that's something I've never understood. Both the Thomas Jane Punisher and Punisher: War Zone were awesome movies (and the 2005 - not 04, sorry - game was great, too).
  • 1- die hard. I wouldn't have it play out in levels, I'd have it set somewhere like a massive powerplant, or a closed of part of a city, and the whole thing is like one massive level.

2- indiana jones. Imagine an indiana jones game, with awesome graphics, and with uncharted like cinematic moments. There, I just gave XBOX an idea, buy the rights to the indiana jones series to rival uncharted.

3- kill bill. Cmon you know this would be awesome. This film was MADE for a video game.
    1- die hard. I wouldn't have it play out in levels, I'd have it set somewhere like a massive powerplant, or a closed of part of a city, and the whole thing is like one massive level.

2- indiana jones. Imagine an indiana jones game, with awesome graphics, and with uncharted like cinematic moments. There, I just gave XBOX an idea, buy the rights to the indiana jones series to rival uncharted.

3- kill bill. Cmon you know this would be awesome. This film was MADE for a video game.

1- I don't know how that would work.

2- If Microshaft steals Indiana Jones, it still wouldn't rival Uncharted. Uncharted has two things going for it that Indiana Jones can never have: Modern times and Nathan Drake.

3- No.
    1- die hard. I wouldn't have it play out in levels, I'd have it set somewhere like a massive powerplant, or a closed of part of a city, and the whole thing is like one massive level.

Easy, the first missions your locked in the police station under siege; the next mission your older, and in the tower and have to complete the missions; the next Your on a very large airplane thats under siege, and you take care of it and land it at an airport, wich also comes under siege by the same rebels or whoever; next mission your in new york.

All in all about 2-3 hours of playtime each level, so about 9-11 hours of playtime. Would be awesome. You could have 'McClaine moments' or some rip off like that.

I think it'd be fun. There's not very many games like it, where you have to stay hidden from the enemy have a game engine where you can make multiple decision, and have dozens of different outcomes for that level. A few decision chains will work out, and a few wont.
    I think it'd be fun.
    Well, a main reason is that a game engine like that would require decades of programming, millions of people working on it, more serious Q&A sessions than developers are willing to spend on an engine, and you'd never be able to cram all that information on 1 or even 4 discs in order to make the game work right - and this is just the engine we're talking about. The Euphoria engine is probably the closest, but because of the shear amount of possibilities that go through any situation, even Euphoria couldn't do it.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    HASEROT wrote:
    The Punisher.... this is a character that might not endure big screen success (yet)

And that's something I've never understood. Both the Thomas Jane Punisher and Punisher: War Zone were awesome movies (and the 2005 - not 04, sorry - game was great, too).

excluding the Dolp Lundgren Punisher movie from '89 (which went straight to video)

The Tom Jane Punisher movie was overall deemed a success - even though it only made back it's production budget at the B.O - which still classifies it as a bomb, the DVD sales of the movie were through the roof... which allowed a sequel to greenlit fairly quickly... after a lot of problems, and Tom Jane himself walking out, the sequel was reworked into it's own thing - War Zone became it's own standalone film..

War Zone's problem (other than at times being a little too silly) was it's lack of marketing - it was more or less doomed from the start because during the filming, the CEO of Lionsgate who greenlit the film, stepped down (or was removed, not sure which is more accurate).. and his replacement decided to s**tcan almost every film his predecessor greenlit (which i heard happens often in the business - unless it's a surefire blockbuster)... War Zone sadly was among those to get the axe... it was released in the minimum number of theaters that Marvel's contract would allow - and it's marketing was bare-bones at best..

i like both films - both have good and bad aspects to them.. but i think one day, someone will get it right...... and i hope one day, that person is me :) lol.
    HASEROT wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

excluding the Dolp Lundgren Punisher movie from '89 (which went straight to video)

The Tom Jane Punisher movie was overall deemed a success - even though it only made back it's production budget at the B.O - which still classifies it as a bomb, the DVD sales of the movie were through the roof... which allowed a sequel to greenlit fairly quickly... after a lot of problems, and Tom Jane himself walking out, the sequel was reworked into it's own thing - War Zone became it's own standalone film..

War Zone's problem (other than at times being a little too silly) was it's lack of marketing - it was more or less doomed from the start because during the filming, the CEO of Lionsgate who greenlit the film, stepped down (or was removed, not sure which is more accurate).. and his replacement decided to s**tcan almost every film his predecessor greenlit (which i heard happens often in the business - unless it's a surefire blockbuster)... War Zone sadly was among those to get the axe... it was released in the minimum number of theaters that Marvel's contract would allow - and it's marketing was bare-bones at best..

i like both films - both have good and bad aspects to them.. but i think one day, someone will get it right...... and i hope one day, that person is me :) lol.

Yeah, I wasn't much of a fan of the Dolph Lungdren Punisher either, though my brother loves it just because Dolph Lungdren is in it

Yes, DVD sales for Tom Jane's movie was its saving grace. Have you seen the extended version? That one's awesome, if you haven't.

Really, the only time I found War Zone to be too silly was when he opened the door, found the outrageously fat guy behind it, and then somehow blew his head up with 2 9mm bullets. Plus, Colin Salmon was great in that movie.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    A movie i'd like to see in a game? Hmm... The Expendables. It would be very awesome.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    The Expendables. It would be very awesome.

Yeeeeeessssss...

Then you could play as

Stallone
    Statham
    Li
    Willis
    Rourke
    Lungdren
    Norris
    and... Schwartzenegger

The makings of a masterpiece right there.
    Well, a main reason is that a game engine like that would require decades of programming, millions of people working on it, more serious Q&A sessions than developers are willing to spend on an engine, and you'd never be able to cram all that information on 1 or even 4 discs in order to make the game work right - and this is just the engine we're talking about. The Euphoria engine is probably the closest, but because of the shear amount of possibilities that go through any situation, even Euphoria couldn't do it.

Blowing things out of proportion...

"Millions" of people is a drastic over statement. I don't think its ever even taken 'thousands' of people to make a game.

"Decades of programming" if you hire apes to do it.

And look at LA Noire, that game surely didn't take millions of people or decades of work, did it?

And the Blu-Ray disc has the capacity of (I think) four CD/DVD disks, so there ya go. PS3 exclusive, but that's XBOX's fault.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Blowing things out of proportion...

"Millions" of people is a drastic over statement. I don't think its ever even taken 'thousands' of people to make a game.

"Decades of programming" if you hire apes to do it.

And look at LA Noire, that game surely didn't take millions of people or decades of work, did it?

And the Blu-Ray disc has the capacity of (I think) four CD/DVD disks, so there ya go. PS3 exclusive, but that's XBOX's fault.

I'm not talking the game, just the engine. Every response that anything the engine controls would have to be pre-programed into the engine. I've never played LA Noire, and even so, I do know it used Euphoria. And, though I do think that Microshaft should have taken some initiative and come up with their own brand of disc (why don't ya get into the movie business, Microshaft?), developers can cram a good amount of stuff into a DVD (how, I don't know).

The game itself? No, that wouldn't take long. The pre-programed responses needed for more than a few outcomes? Yes.
    HASEROT wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't much of a fan of the Dolph Lungdren Punisher either, though my brother loves it just because Dolph Lungdren is in it

Yes, DVD sales for Tom Jane's movie was its saving grace. Have you seen the extended version? That one's awesome, if you haven't.

Really, the only time I found War Zone to be too silly was when he opened the door, found the outrageously fat guy behind it, and then somehow blew his head up with 2 9mm bullets. Plus, Colin Salmon was great in that movie.

yes, i own the extended version..

the kuwait scenes i don't think really add much.. the director Hensleigh made a big deal about how it adds much more depth to Frank and what he goes through later.. maybe i am dense, but i didn't see it all, and it really added nothing..

i prefer the way the original film started off, with the arms deal - and i like Travolta's entrance as Saint better when Mickey was getting beaten up... the extended cut felt weird with it's opening, introducing Saint and his family before we get to Castle and his..

what i did really like about the extended cut was the addition of the subplot that Jimmy Weeks ratted Castle out to Saint - and how Frank eventually gets Jimmy to kill himself.. the only thing I would've changed, was I would've had Frank confront Jimmy after he kills the Saints.. i think the emotional impact of that scene would've been a much more fitting conclusion - it just feels off with it's placement in the film.

War Zone's silliness isn't in the over the top violence, I loved that lol... but it was some of action of Loony Bin Jim - that whole scene with Jigsaw crying because of his face, then LBJ smashing all the mirrors, really really unnecessary.
    The Kuwait scenes would have added depth, if they were live action and not motion comic. I think it honestly only exists to explain the reason behind the watch.

I kind of liked the introduction to Saint's family, since it's the only time we get to see both twins alive in the same room.

I liked the Jimmy Weeks subplot, but the final scene (when Frank makes Jimmy kill himself) could have been better edited/lighted. It's placed in between two scenes that take place at night, and it looks like it's midday outside the window. I think, however, that it should have been placed before his final assault on the Saints, because the way it is now, he sets his plan up to deal with the Saints, then he takes care of Jimmy, then he deals with the Saints.

Okay, yeah, that LBJ scene with the mirrors was kind of stupid, now that I remember it (haven't seen the movie in over a year).
  • 1- die hard. I wouldn't have it play out in levels, I'd have it set somewhere like a massive powerplant, or a closed of part of a city, and the whole thing is like one massive level.

2- If Microshaft steals Indiana Jones, it still wouldn't rival Uncharted. Uncharted has two things going for it that Indiana Jones can never have: Modern times and Nathan Drake.

3- No.

1- I know it probably won't happen, but have a closed of enviroment and have it sort of like an open world game, but you have different objectives to complete like freeing hostages, killing certain terrorists, maybe getting certain equipment, etc. A little bit like arkham city in a way.

2- It would have a chance if they promoted it right and was good enough. I didn't think a superhero game would be nominated for game of the year but it happened. It might not beat uncharted in sales but maybe it could give an uncharted like experience to xbox users.

3- why not???
    1- I know it probably won't happen, but have a closed of enviroment and have it sort of like an open world game, but you have different objectives to complete like freeing hostages, killing certain terrorists, maybe getting certain equipment, etc. A little bit like arkham city in a way.

2- It would have a chance if they promoted it right and was good enough. I didn't think a superhero game would be nominated for game of the year but it happened. It might not beat uncharted in sales but maybe it could give an uncharted like experience to xbox users.

3- why not???

1- I guess that could work (sort of like a Dead Rising game, but with terrorists instead of zombies and John McClane instead of Frank West or Chuck Greene).

2- Microshaft and LucasArts and LucasFilm would do their damndest to promote it, but no matter what, it would be seen as Microshaft's attempt to cash in on Uncharted's success, and make Microshaft look bad.

(What would be next, Microshaft trying to make a Crash Bandicoot rip-off? Or coercing Kojima Productions to make a 360-exclusive Metal Gear game? Or, worse, Microshaft buying Naughty Dog, forcing them to make a 360 Uncharted game, while they sell 343 Studios to Sony, who then force them to make a PS3 Halo game, and then Nintendo buys both studios, making the SUPER Nintendo!)

3- Uma Thurman.
    Give me an Uncharted like Indiana Jones game and I'll be a very happy boy
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Give me an Uncharted like Indiana Jones game and I'll be a very happy boy

Generally, so would I, except that Indy didn't kill as often as Nathan Drake does.
    Dirty Harry needs a video game adaptation. They were doing one a few years ago, but it was cancelled.
    The Kuwait scenes would have added depth, if they were live action and not motion comic. I think it honestly only exists to explain the reason behind the watch.

I kind of liked the introduction to Saint's family, since it's the only time we get to see both twins alive in the same room.

I liked the Jimmy Weeks subplot, but the final scene (when Frank makes Jimmy kill himself) could have been better edited/lighted. It's placed in between two scenes that take place at night, and it looks like it's midday outside the window. I think, however, that it should have been placed before his final assault on the Saints, because the way it is now, he sets his plan up to deal with the Saints, then he takes care of Jimmy, then he deals with the Saints.

Okay, yeah, that LBJ scene with the mirrors was kind of stupid, now that I remember it (haven't seen the movie in over a year).

the reason why I would've preferred the scene where Frank makes Jimmy kill himself... is because not only is Frank back to kill the Saints, but he is also back to find out who set him up... we were presented with Frank and Jimmy being very close friends, who have been through a tremendous amount together - the bigger emotional climax is this one, given the two's history.... i love this scene, because outside of the assualt on Saint's nightclub at the end, it's the one scene that feels so much like what the Punisher should be... granted, in the comic, Frank probably would've turned Jimmy's head into a cloud of pink mist (like he did Mirco's lol)... but Jimmy had been slowly killing himself anyway, Frank showed up to help speed up the process... it's a scene, that if I were director/editor - would've placed it after Frank says his goodbyes to Joan and leaves... you cut from the assault, to Frank returning home battered - contemplating suicide.. then his goodbye with Joan.. then his confrontation with Jimmy - the real cause behind his family's murder... where it's placed at in the film now is weird.. because he's all over setting up Glass and Mrs Saint - then he just randomly takes time out to convince his ol' buddy into suicide - then back to his assault on Saint... for me, it screws with the pacing and momentum the film was starting to pick up, by slowing it back down..

Ray Stevenson in War Zone was easily it's greatest attribute.. Tom Jane was good, but Ray's imposing stature and gruff looks made him perfect.. he is how i picture the Punisher looking on screen... still love the opening where he slaughters the Don at his party, and the firefight at the end.. good stuff..... both films are really underrated... even the Dolph Lundgren one isn't terrible - it just deviates too far from the comic characters - and it's just too 80s lol.
    HASEROT wrote:
    the reason why I would've preferred the scene where Frank makes Jimmy kill himself... is because not only is Frank back to kill the Saints, but he is also back to find out who set him up... we were presented with Frank and Jimmy being very close friends, who have been through a tremendous amount together - the bigger emotional climax is this one, given the two's history.... i love this scene, because outside of the assualt on Saint's nightclub at the end, it's the one scene that feels so much like what the Punisher should be... granted, in the comic, Frank probably would've turned Jimmy's head into a cloud of pink mist (like he did Mirco's lol)... but Jimmy had been slowly killing himself anyway, Frank showed up to help speed up the process... it's a scene, that if I were director/editor - would've placed it after Frank says his goodbyes to Joan and leaves... you cut from the assault, to Frank returning home battered - contemplating suicide.. then his goodbye with Joan.. then his confrontation with Jimmy - the real cause behind his family's murder... where it's placed at in the film now is weird.. because he's all over setting up Glass and Mrs Saint - then he just randomly takes time out to convince his ol' buddy into suicide - then back to his assault on Saint... for me, it screws with the pacing and momentum the film was starting to pick up, by slowing it back down..

Ray Stevenson in War Zone was easily it's greatest attribute.. Tom Jane was good, but Ray's imposing stature and gruff looks made him perfect.. he is how i picture the Punisher looking on screen... still love the opening where he slaughters the Don at his party, and the firefight at the end.. good stuff..... both films are really underrated... even the Dolph Lundgren one isn't terrible - it just deviates too far from the comic characters - and it's just too 80s lol.

I have no problem with the Jimmy Weeks suicide scene, just that its placement between two scenes which take place at night, while it takes place at midday, makes no sense.

Yes, Ray Stevenson is the better looking, visually, of the three Punishers. And, no, none of the films are terrible. The Tom Jane film has the better story, War Zone is the most "Punisher-like" of the three, and the Dolph Lungdren film is, arguably, a bit more realistic (only because of what was possible to put on screen at the time), and it had the better actor for one of the main villains (Jeroen Krabbe).
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837

3- why not???

1- I guess that could work (sort of like a Dead Rising game, but with terrorists instead of zombies and John McClane instead of Frank West or Chuck Greene).

2- Microshaft and LucasArts and LucasFilm would do their damndest to promote it, but no matter what, it would be seen as Microshaft's attempt to cash in on Uncharted's success, and make Microshaft look bad.

(What would be next, Microshaft trying to make a Crash Bandicoot rip-off? Or coercing Kojima Productions to make a 360-exclusive Metal Gear game? Or, worse, Microshaft buying Naughty Dog, forcing them to make a 360 Uncharted game, while they sell 343 Studios to Sony, who then force them to make a PS3 Halo game, and then Nintendo buys both studios, making the SUPER Nintendo!)

3- Uma Thurman.

1- Yeah like dead rising but with terrorists and john mcclane, you put it better than I could

2- It could still give some 360 users an alternative to buying a ps3 just for uncharted. If an indiana jones game came out that worked like uncharted afew years ago then I would still own an xbox. But after I played uncharted at my mates house, and couldn't find anything like it on xbox, I was forced to sell it to get a ps3 (which meant every saved game I had on xbox was gone for good)

3- fair enough

4- can we stop with the numbers thing now??? ;)
    (Reference to Call of Duty: Black Ops)

I can't stop seeing the ****ing numbers!
    FOCUS MASON!!!.... WERE OUT OF ****ING TIME!!!.... THE WORLD IS ON THE BRINK OF ****ING WAR!!!
    I do have to ask @thelivingroyale, what did you lose by selling your 360 to buy a PS3? Unlike the past console generations, there are few console exclusives.
    Perhaps a Jack Ryan Video Game featurieng the voice and likeness of Chris Pine would be cool
  • I want an open world Mad Max game.
    I do have to ask @thelivingroyale, what did you lose by selling your 360 to buy a PS3? Unlike the past console generations, there are few console exclusives.

Saved games. I'm on xbox again now anyway because my ps3 was killed by Skyrim.