"yipee kay-yay - the die hard thread

edited February 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 12,837
This is basically an appreciation/news/discussion thread about my fave films of all time (along with bond), the die hard film series. If you have any news about the next film, a good day to die hard, please post it here. You can also rank the die hard films and discuss them. I'll start.

1- die hard. Best christmas movie ever.

2- die hard 3.

3- die hard 2/die hard 4.0

Comments

• Is a new Die Hard thread on it's own really necessary through,we've discussed these at lengths before and there are only a few of us who have any real interest in the series, and after the third episode I'm afraid I kind of lost interest, Willis was far too old for the McClane role by the time of 2007's DH4

In any event, I feel Die Hard 2 was the best for me, had the best ending most certainly, then maybe Die Hard 3 with a Vengeance and then the first in 1988 and I'm afraid the last one just recently, Willis just looked completely out of sorts at this stage
  • Is a new Die Hard thread on it's own really necessary through,we've discussed these at lengths before and there are only a few of us who have any real interest in the series, and after the third episode I'm afraid I kind of lost interest, Willis was far too old for the McClane role by the time of 2007's DH4

In any event, I feel Die Hard 2 was the best for me, had the best ending most certainly, then maybe Die Hard 3 with a Vengeance and then the first in 1988 and I'm afraid the last one just recently, Willis just looked completely out of sorts at this stage

I only just found out there was already a die hard thread. But you're the first person who's told me they like the 2nd film better than the original.
  • Die Hard is dull, nothing happens and Willis is just restricted to one building in Los Angeles, I can't stand that Sgt Powell character either, mercy on us he was only limited to a brief cameo in the second one two years later. Willis spends most of the time running around little rooms and elevator shafts with limited attire and smoking and pulling off Moore type poor attempts at humor, I really don't understand how anyone can say it's the best of the four, it simply isn't

Second one is perhaps the most violent, for those who have seen the uncensored cut, Die Hard III is simply McClane and Sam L Jackson making pointless and tired color tirades at each other and it was more about racial issues than any tangible storyline. Irons is a fine actor but simply fails here as a vindictive German soldier out to grab some gold. The ending on the canadian border is quick, dull, stale and all said a poor ending to an otherwise not too bad adventure if you can take all the unnecessary color issues crap out of it, this should of been the last one, Willis was simply too old after this to be involved in anymore escapades

Yippee Ki-Ay Bondpeeps
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Second one is perhaps the most violent, for those who have seen the uncensored cut

Uncensored? When was Die Hard 2 released uncensored?
    I, for one, didn't like the second. One of those "we'll just redo what was done the first time, but bigger" films. Now the third, that was pretty great, in my opinion. Giving McClain the space of a city, New York at that, to run around and kill people was very enjoyable. I actually understood the character motives, unlike the 'ex-military rebel plot' of the second one. To me, it came off cheesy and could have easily been replaced with terrorists, or a cult taking over the airport.

My ranking:

Die Hard
    Die Hard With A Vengeance
    Live Free Or Die Hard
    (Probably A Good Day To Die Hard will be here on my ranking. I think hes kinda old, so it probably wont be too great)
    And then..
    Die Hard 2
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Die Hard with a Vengeance
    Die Hard
    Die Hard 2

Live Free Or Die hard
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Die Hard - arguably the greatest action movie ever made.. and it's not all "action for the sake of action" - like 90% of action films of the 80s.. this had an interesting plot - with a unique twist... some classic dialog, and Alan Rickman in role that still to this day continues to be a defining moment in his career..... I can never get bored watching this movie, and usually whenever its on TV when i am flipping through the channels, I leave it on..

Die Hard 2 - i really like this one, but aspects of it feel like a retread over the original... i think the only thing i really didn't care for in this film, was all the forced humor by McClane... in the original, it felt natural and it didn't stick out... but i felt like in this one, they tried a little too hard to make him more wisecracking - "we'res the friggin' door??" - ugh.... but other than that i enjoyed it... loved the ending - even if the Yippie-Ki-Ay-Mother-F***** was a little out of place in context..

Die Hard With A Vengeance - Again, I really liked this one.. and much like the the original, it has a plot that twists, and deceives you - much like what Simon does to McClane throughout the whole film.... I thought it was an interesting take on an old concept about a sibling wanting revenge - and come to find out, revenge for the sibling wasn't even the main idea, but just an added bonus... This film and Pulp Fiction really put Samuel L Jackson on the map, and i really like his sidekick character the most out of all the other Die Hard films..

Live Free Or Die Hard - I never understood why so many hardcore fans of the series hate this film... because i consider myself a fan, and I loved it... sure it was PG-13, but i don't think it made the movie any worse.. the only thing it did was eliminate the swearing (which by now was a McClane trademark).. and his famous Yippie-Ki-Ay line.. though while said, the gunshot muffles out the best part lol... sure there are some over the top moments in this film - but none of which were so blown out of proportion that they became obscene IMO.

it's hard for me to rank these movies - because i really like all of them, and i think they are all good flicks.... so here's hoping It's A Good Day To Die Hard delivers the goods!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    One Die Hard thread on a James Bond forum will suffice methinks. Please follow @Samuel001's link.
This discussion has been closed.