One-offs, Sequels, Trilogies, or Film Series' ?

edited January 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 5,745
What films guarantee a good time?

One-offs, where there's (so far) only one film;

Sequels, usually stink, or are a retread of the first, but some surprise.

Trilogies, where there's a sequence the story follows, like Indiana Jones (THERE IS NOT A FOURTH), Bourne (Matt Damon), The Dollars Trilogy (Clint Eastwood), Spiderman (Tobey McGuire), Batman/The Dark Knight, etc.

or Film Series', like Bond, Mission Impossible, Fast and the Furious, etc.

For me, it has to be a new film in a series, the third option. I'm more willing to spend money at the theater for a new film if I know its been a good time in the past. Some of my favorite all-time movies come from Bond, Mission Impossible, and Fast and the Furious.

(It was hard choice, most of those trilogies are awful good too.)
P.S. Maybe a poll? :-h

Comments

There are very few One-off's anymore. If it makes money, it'll get a sequel most likely. But I don't mind that, I like seeing stories continue.

It depends on the trilogy. Batman of course will be fantastic. But I like trilogies that have their story planned out that all three films are connected. Like Back to the Future. Where as Spiderman didn't have a connected story planned out and the third film suffered for it.

But I'll also have to go with a film series. Even some of the lesser outings of any series will be an enjoyable time. Bond is the obvious one, but I also love the Mission Impossible series, the Fast and the Furious series, the Pirates series, and to an extent, the Terminator series
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    That's a hard choice. I guess it would depend on what the story is and who the characters are.
    Having to pick, I would go with a film series. It's nice to see characters we like come back every once in a while. Such as Bond, Mission Impossible, Indy, Die Hard, etc.
    Forgot about Die Hard!

That solidifies my choice, thank you!
  • bondbat007 wrote:
    There are very few One-off's anymore. If it makes money, it'll get a sequel most likely. But I don't mind that, I like seeing stories continue.

It depends on the trilogy. Batman of course will be fantastic. But I like trilogies that have their story planned out that all three films are connected. Like Back to the Future. Where as Spiderman didn't have a connected story planned out and the third film suffered for it.

But I'll also have to go with a film series. Even some of the lesser outings of any series will be an enjoyable time. Bond is the obvious one, but I also love the Mission Impossible series, the Fast and the Furious series, the Pirates series, and to an extent, the Terminator series

I agree. Films like Indiana Jones and The Man With No Name aren't really trilogies they're just film series' that happen to have 3 entries. They're episodic and have no connection to one another. The Man With No Name films even take place during different decades where Eastwood couldn't possibly be the same age and have him sporting a different name in each.

Some of my favorites are James Bond, Indiana Jones, The Man With No Name/Dollars series, and Nolan's Batman trilogy. Only one is a real trilogy. The rest are film series'.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 5,745
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Some of my favorites are James Bond, Indiana Jones, The Man With No Name/Dollars series, and Nolan's Batman trilogy. Only one is a real trilogy. The rest are film series'.

Yes, but they are (or in Indiana's case, were) known commonly as trilogies. Because there are three. For many of them, there will only be three, like Spiderman, Batman, Dollars, and Back to the Future.
    WALT (!!!!!!) Disney Pictures are the worst, After a brilliant Lion King II they make a direct to DVD sequel for every film they've ever done!

And @JWESTBROOK you forgot: Unessercery Reboots and Remakes.

But on sequels: SM3, Batman and Robin, Any Thing with the word "Stich" in it and Superman 4 have to be up there for worst.
    Virage wrote:
    And @JWESTBROOK you forgot: Unessercery Reboots and Remakes.

But on sequels: SM3, Batman and Robin, Any Thing with the word "Stich" in it and Superman 4 have to be up there for worst.

I left those out because if they're unnecessary, then nobody would pick that option :P

I could have put sequels, in fact I will. I'm pretty motivated to see a sequel if I liked the first.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It's hit and miss as to whether they should ever have bothered. The terrible sequels to Jaws has actually effected the reputation of the original because they get lumped together as 'the Jaws films'.

I like one off films that don't warrant sequels (L.A.Confidential, The Usual Suspects) and I admire Speilberg for not trying to create a sequel to his sci fi masterpeice Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2012 Posts: 15,690
    Many of my favorite films are one-off's - Schindler's List, Senna, Full Monty, I Saw The Devil, Munich, Lord Of War...
    NicNac wrote:
    I admire Speilberg for not trying to create a sequel to his sci fi masterpeice Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.

And he hasn't budged on that subject with E.T. either which is a classic Scifi movie as well.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2012 Posts: 4,449
    LOTR Trilogie should have made in 4 movies. As there are made + de 9 minutes more of LOTR 3 i should buy the Extented if i whant to see what i missing. If you ask me The Hobbit 1 & 2 with exeption of 2x 180 minutes made in 3 movies of 130 minutes.

I also wish that Harry Potter 4 get 2 movies, what mean with Harry Potter 5 there be a total of 3 movies. It is nice there made 2 movies from the 7th book, but it be the last i expext it from.

In Spider-Man and Batman i am disapointed there quite after 3 movies. Spider-Man 3 i buy last year and plan to see this year. Atleast i expect it have a less emty feeling as the new Batman franchise. The results of TDK disapointed me, i don't understand we accepted a so empty end with Dark Knight Rises. The good things of TDK and Batman Begins made i expect atleast a 4th movies. This also count for Spider-Man. For those 2 series i have a feeling it look like there hve a kind of limited rights there aloud to yuse and not more. Why re-start Spider-Man whyle the last movie delieverd more then 900 million and there already have in mind to yuse The Lizard. I like the idea in the first place to ask the writers of the first movie back. Also i see some people expect a 4th Nolan and don't know Batman be reboot again for 2014.

How i can like Spider-Man 3 or Dark Knight Rises if i know this be the last one.

Some one-off's never get a sequel iam disapointed it don't get one. Like The Mask 2 with Jim Carrey and Spy Game 2 with Brad Pitt. Also Daredevill & Hulk. Whyle some people be disapointed in Daredevill and Hulk, iam sjure both be accepted by the public. So i this case i have respect for Sony to make another Ghost Rider movie with Nicolas Cage. What disapointed me is that the first movie only be avaible as DC like the 2 disc SE of The da vinci code is only avaible as Extented cut.
  • M_Balje wrote:
    LOTR Trilogie should have made in 4 movies. As there are made + de 9 minutes more of LOTR 3 i should buy the Extented if i whant to see what i missing. If you ask me The Hobbit 1 & 2 with exeption of 2x 180 minutes made in 3 movies of 130 minutes.

I also wish that Harry Potter 4 get 2 movies, what mean with Harry Potter 5 there be a total of 3 movies. It is nice there made 2 movies from the 7th book, but it be the last i expext it from.

In Spider-Man and Batman i am disapointed there quite after 3 movies. Spider-Man 3 i buy last year and plan to see this year. Atleast i expect it have a less emty feeling as the new Batman franchise. The results of TDK disapointed me, i don't understand we accepted a so empty end with Dark Knight Rises. The good things of TDK and Batman Begins made i expect atleast a 4th movies. This also count for Spider-Man. For those 2 series i have a feeling it look like there hve a kind of limited rights there aloud to yuse and not more. Why re-start Spider-Man whyle the last movie delieverd more then 900 million and there already have in mind to yuse The Lizard. I like the idea in the first place to ask the writers of the first movie back. Also i see some people expect a 4th Nolan and don't know Batman be reboot again for 2014.

How i can like Spider-Man 3 or Dark Knight Rises if i know this be the last one.

Some one-off's never get a sequel iam disapointed it don't get one. Like The Mask 2 with Jim Carrey and Spy Game 2 with Brad Pitt. Also Daredevill & Hulk. Whyle some people be disapointed in Daredevill and Hulk, iam sjure both be accepted by the public. So i this case i have respect for Sony to make another Ghost Rider movie with Nicolas Cage. What disapointed me is that the first movie only be avaible as DC like the 2 disc SE of The da vinci code is only avaible as Extented cut.

I always wondered why there hasn't been a daredevil 2
  • Hard choice. I would say trilogies but alot of my fave trilogies have gotten a fourth film (bourne, scream, indiana jones). So I'm gonna go with film series'. My fave film series' are: die hard, james bond, mission impossible, the simon pegg and nick frost films, and batman (except batman and robin)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    M_Balje wrote:

I always wondered why there hasn't been a daredevil 2

A Daredevil remake is planned. As for why a second one wasn't made, the first didn't earn enough money at the box office!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The first one was terrible. Let's be frank. I watched both the theatrical and the director's cut. I say no to those two films. A remake? Sure. If they can put out a better film.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DarthDimi wrote:
    The first one was terrible. Let's be frank. I watched both the theatrical and the director's cut. I say no to those two films. A remake? Sure. If they can put out a better film.

I watched the FX version, which combines the parts that make sense between the two versions, and it works great (I wish that one was on DVD).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Virage wrote:
    WALT (!!!!!!) Disney Pictures are the worst, After a brilliant Lion King II they make a direct to DVD sequel for every film they've ever done!

I agree @Virage. I remember the days of beautiful Disney. The golden years on the 90s. Hercules, Aladdin, Tarzan, Beauty and The Beast, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Rescuers Down Under, The Lion King, Mulan, and so many more intelligent films that will forever live on. Now Pixar are the ones to go to for smart, yet deep filmmaking. The golden years of Pixar were some of the best years in film.
  • DarthDimi wrote:

you're talking about daredevil??? I liked it, sure they could've chosen a better actor to play daredevil and the typical superhero story of getting superpowers in some kind of accident has been done time and time again before, but the villians were good and the action was cool
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:

you're talking about daredevil??? I liked it, sure they could've chosen a better actor to play daredevil and the typical superhero story of getting superpowers in some kind of accident has been done time and time again before, but the villians were good and the action was cool

When the first thing I remember is the playground fight scene in that film, it is not a point in its favor. =))
  • DarthDimi wrote:

When the first thing I remember is the playground fight scene in that film, it is not a point in its favor. =))

fair enough, but there were some good fights. The church fight was awesome.
    I actually think that Daredevil is one of the better superhero movies. It was dark and the action was great. Not cartoon like, such as the crapy Spidey movies.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 555
    I actually think that Daredevil is one of the better superhero movies. It was dark and the action was great. Not cartoon like, such as the crapy Spidey movies.

Yes...heaven forbid a movie-adaption of a COMIC BOOK be considered "cartoon like." Excellent.

To the topic, I'm a "series" guy. I'm not surprised many here are the same way, as we are, after all, Bond fans. I have no problem with the continued adventures of a character, as long as they don't get stale. That's why I'm looking forward to Die Hard 5 (even though Willis has lost touch with the character), another movie in the Bourne series (without Bourne...) etc. I'm a huge Rocky fan. Love the Rambo series. I enjoyed Indy 4. The list goes on.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited January 2012 Posts: 4,399
    it all depends for me, i like them all - one offs, trilogies, and series..

i think trilogies have become too common place these days - and now it's become the expected norm for a successful film(s) - ie: you can't step foot in IMDB's Skyfall or James Bond page, and not read something about 'the quantum trilogy'.. really? - James Bond has never involved itself with trilogies officially, and any such notion is fan speculation..

so while I like trilogies, and it's a nice round number (3) to wrap things up with, there is nothing wrong with going on and creating more, like with Indiana Jones.. they're episodic adventures which i enjoy - the more there are the better IMO, it gives me more to choose from when i feel like watching a particular movie from that series... same thing goes with other series, like Death Wish, Rambo, Rocky, Star Wars, Bond (obviously), Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare On Elm St and various others..

but some films don't need a sequel - am i dead set opposed to one should they make it? - No, because who am I to tell anyone "You can't make a sequel because we as fans dont think you should!".. as long as it delivers some enjoyment on my level, i'll accept it.. i didn't think The Hangover needed a sequel, but I found Hangover 2 funny, not on the same level - but still funny..
  • I like one-off films, mainly because I like independent films. When I need a big budget movie I usually call Moneypenny to get James Bond.
  • HASEROT wrote:
    i didn't think The Hangover needed a sequel, but I found Hangover 2 funny, not on the same level - but still funny..

I completely agree about hangover 2. Sure it had been done before, but it was still hilarious.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Even funnier is that The Hangover: Part III is planned to be made in order to complete a trilogy.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Even funnier is that The Hangover: Part III is planned to be made in order to complete a trilogy.

I think'd it be a great twist for the third to actually follow them through the night completely hammered, see the crazy things they do, and then at the end have the wake up scene. Huh? HUH?

Yes...heaven forbid a movie-adaption of a COMIC BOOK be considered "cartoon like." Excellent.

Ummm.... yeah. It IS a live action movie and NOT a cartoon afterall.
    I'll admit that saying the Spidey movies are crappy was wrong of me. The second movie was decent, but the first and third were god awful.