Maud Adams as Octopussy

edited January 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,492
She's Grrrreeat! IMO

One of my favourite Bond girls and a highlight of the film for me. I think the casting was perfect because she wasnt a 21 year old but a full 37 year old which complimented Roger Moore/ She, having worked with him before, had good chemistry and a maturity which other actresses lacked. The look of her was stunning - the high cheekbones, the brown eyes, that sweeping blue sari....

Also it was a good role. A woman ruled by greed and someone took advantage of that greed to badly double cross her. She would have gone up in a puff of smoke in East Germany along with everyone else. A bit of a recluse, with possible sapphic overtones keeping the male sex off her private island which is decked out as a boudoir. But at the same time ruthless and an out and out crook. Not just happy with her circus but wanting more being in a Tsarist jewellry smuggling caper.

At the end she comes good and there is a nice revenge scene and Maud certainly goes through it being thrown around in a plane and ending up dangling from a cliff.

What say you Bond fans?

Comments

Was she only 37? I thought she was a little older than that.

Anyway I agree. Great Bond 'woman' played by a more than capable actress. Maud Adams really has an elegance and sophistication about her that makes her intriguing and mysterious.
  • Maud Adams once flirted with me, you know?

I was at a weekend of Bond screenings in LA and she was on a panel. I was the only English guy there and when I asked her to pose for a photo afterward, she said and I quote directly...

"With an accent like that, you can have whatever you want."

At which point I made some hideous high pitched squeal, started dribbling on myself and had to be led away by my super tolerant girlfriend.
    My my you do get around @tommychameleon. The closest I've come to that is shaking hands with Roger Moore.
  • She was indeed my friend a great leading lady & OP has always been my fav Moore 007 flick.

Her character is written well but my fav scene with her is 1st meeting with Kamal. You know whos in charge by the end of that scene & its not her.

She was excellent in both her Bond girl parts & certainly suited Moore's Bond era.

I was at a weekend of Bond screenings in LA and she was on a panel. I was the only English guy there and when I asked her to pose for a photo afterward, she said and I quote directly...

At which point I made some hideous high pitched squeal, started dribbling on myself and had to be led away by my super tolerant girlfriend.

I've flirted with Britt & you've flirted with Maud. I think were of the lucky kind! Scaramanga would be so jealous I'm sure!

I met Britt at Bondstars Christmas party at Pinewood on 20/11/11 and she was so easy to talk to & she asked if people wanted a photo together to all 170 people who attended the event.

Great day out.

Her character is written well but my fav scene with her is 1st meeting with Kamal. You know whos in charge by the end of that scene & its not her.

Yes, that is good although there is some strange finger wagging and dubbing.

My favourite bit (apart from the Yo-Yo fight) is after Bond has frantically tried to convince her there is a bomb in the cannon (I saw Kamal and Orlov take the jewellry off the train - they have doublecrossed you!) All the niggling suspicions she has for the last half hour come to the fore and she is torn who to believe. And Magda pours doubt into her ear about Bond destroying the entire operation.

Good stuff.

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    actonsteve wrote:
    She's Grrrreeat! IMO

One of my favourite Bond girls and a highlight of the film for me. I think the casting was perfect because she wasnt a 21 year old but a full 37 year old which complimented Roger Moore/ She, having worked with him before, had good chemistry and a maturity which other actresses lacked. The look of her was stunning - the high cheekbones, the brown eyes, that sweeping blue sari....

Agreed. She was the leading lady Moore was most compatible with. OP should've been his last Bond film and I'd like to think his Bond retired to India with her.

I've flirted with Britt & you've flirted with Maud. I think were of the lucky kind! Scaramanga would be so jealous I'm sure!

I met Britt at Bondstars Christmas party at Pinewood on 20/11/11 and she was so easy to talk to & she asked if people wanted a photo together to all 170 people who attended the event.

Great day out.

What a minx!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Hopefully one day I too will be bragging about how I cajoled Eva Green into not only an autograph, but a peck on the cheek! :\">
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Maud Adams once flirted with me, you know?

Great day out.

I was at an event attended by Maryam d'Abo who looked so lovely I just stared at her. A point came where she noticed me and began to look a little uncomfortable. I had to look away before security was called.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    NicNac wrote:

Great day out.

I was at an event attended by Maryam d'Abo who looked so lovely I just stared at her. A point came where she noticed me and began to look a little uncomfortable. I had to look away before security was called.

Since nobody has said the obvious yet I will.

You must have scared The Living Daylights out of her ;)
  • NicNac wrote:

Smooth moves man, just how Bond would play it ;-)
    BAIN123 wrote:

Bah Dom Tish!

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:
    NicNac wrote:

Great day out.

X_X
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!

I 'met' Maud Adams at an autograph signing about five years ago and, must say, she looked damn good for her age. Britt Ekland was there too and - obviously, if you've seen images of her lately - didn't look as good. And she ignored me while she signed. But, hey, she is Britt Ekland, so it's not like I really minded... ;)
    honestly i think Octopussy and Roger's Bond are the perfect equals in his entire 7 year stint...i could actually notice actual romance like between Vesper and Craigs Bond
    with them.