Bond movies ripping off other films

edited January 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,341
Thanks to someone posting a clip from an Albott and Costello film I decided to start this discussion.
Bond movies are guilty of ripping off other films. The clip from the Abbott and Costello film is so obvious. There must be numerous others.
I would bet that this trend does not show up in the earlier films but are more numerous from the Roger Moore era onwards.

I wonder if anyone here knows that Moore's most classic and famous film, TSWLM bears a striking resemblance to a 1939 thriller, "Q Planes". In that film some foreign power was hijacking bombers and holding them and the crews aboard a large oil tanker... The British agent played by Lawrence Olivier gets on the tanker, frees the bomber crews and fight a big battle Royale with the crew of the tanker.

Aside from this and the scene from AVTAK can you think of other instances?

Comments

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Thanks to someone posting a clip from an Albott and Costello film I decided to start this discussion.
    Bond movies are guilty of ripping off other films. The clip from the Abbott and Costello film is so obvious. There must be numerous others.
    I would bet that this trend does not show up in the earlier films but are more numerous from the Roger Moore era onwards.

I wonder if anyone here knows that Moore's most classic and famous film, TSWLM bears a striking resemblance to a 1939 thriller, "Q Planes". In that film some foreign power was hijacking bombers and holding them and the crews aboard a large oil tanker... The British agent played by Lawrence Olivier gets on the tanker, frees the bomber crews and fight a big battle Royale with the crew of the tanker.

Aside from this and the scene from AVTAK can you think of other instances?

The scene with Bond on the run from the SPECTRE helicopter in FRWL is clearly lifted from the Cary Grant vs. the cropduster sequence from Alfred Hitchcock's North By Northwest(1959).
    well lets face it? How many rip offs of bond are out there thanks to the success of the Bond movies! Bourne, Indiana Jones, Flint...........etc. The list on both sides of this thread will surely grow?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i have to ask... why do we even care?

films have borrowed from one another throughout cinema history.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    HASEROT wrote:

I agree with you, but I can understand the argument. Several people have this "Bond above all" mentality, where they believe that Bond's value is diminished because elements from other non-Bond films have shown up in Bond films. I have no problem with it, and in fact encourage it (to a minor degree).
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    HASEROT wrote:

I agree with you, but I can understand the argument. Several people have this "Bond above all" mentality, where they believe that Bond's value is diminished because elements from other non-Bond films have shown up in Bond films. I have no problem with it, and in fact encourage it (to a minor degree).

agreed - people act shocked... "how could the franchise rip something off from another movie??".... umm.. simple - because it happens all the time.
    The fact is, Bond has only created two trends in its 50 years history: the "super spy" trend, obviously, and the dumb redneck police officer which was so prominent during the 70s and 80s. Other than that, Bond has mostly followed other trends: kung-fu movies in TMWTGG, Poker and Parkour in CR '06, Sci-Fi in MR, and one could go on and on. Most of the time, Bond follows trends, but doesn't create them anymore. But without him, we wouldn't have had Mission: Impossible (the TV series. I refuse to discuss the movies, mainly because I was disgusted at what they did with Jim Phelps in the first one) or Bourne.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Gerard wrote:
    The fact is, Bond has only created two trends in its 50 years history: the "super spy" trend, obviously, and the dumb redneck police officer which was so prominent during the 70s and 80s.

You forgot "Obnoxiously large secret bad guy lairs".

Which is part of the "super spy" genre.
    Gerard wrote:

Which is part of the "super spy" genre.

Oh, I usually class those separately.
    Bond borrowed from both the Flint and Helm series, which of course were Bond-inspired spoofs. But there are a few scenes from the Flint and Helm movies that turned up in later Bond movies.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well, just as Bond has taken inspiration from other movies/TV, we can be assured of one thing: For every three things Bond "rips off" ten plus movies/TV rip Bond off.
    timmer wrote:
    Bond borrowed from both the Flint and Helm series, which of course were Bond-inspired spoofs. But there are a few scenes from the Flint and Helm movies that turned up in later Bond movies.

Amen to that. By 1969 there were so many imitations in the marketplace that EON felt that they were in danger of imitating the imitators. Hence, the decision to go back to basics with OHMSS.
    I hate to see that there were scenes in Helm and Flint films that turned up later in Bond movies. Flint and Helm were strictly tongue n cheek entertainment.
    I guess everyone borrows from everyone now and then...
  • Just because films borrow from eachother all the time doesn't mean we can't talk about the times bond has ripped of other films. There's nothing wrong with it but it doesn't mean we can't come up with afew suggestions.

The karate scenes in TMWTGG borrows alot from 70s kung fu movies. And QOS has alot of jason bourne type stuff.
  • Much of the plot of TLD reflects The Third Man and Carry On Spying, or so I hear.
  • Roger Moore ripped off Quentin Crisp
    timmer wrote:

Yep. I think Goodnight was inspired by Stella Stevens' and Sharon Tate's characters from the Helm films. The location of the evil Galaxy organization controlling the weather from inside the volcano in "Our Man Flint" turned up in YOLT. Flint went into outer space 12 years before MR in "In Like Flint". Dean Martin's funny musical interludes in the Helm films can be seen as a precursor to the funny musical interludes in TSWLM, MR and AVTAK.

• edited January 2012 Posts: 4,622
    Yep. I think Goodnight was inspired by Stella Stevens' and Sharon Tate's characters from the Helm films. The location of the evil Galaxy organization controlling the weather from inside the volcano in "Our Man Flint" turned up in YOLT. Flint went into outer space 12 years before MR in "In Like Flint". Dean Martin's funny musical interludes in the Helm films can be seen as a precursor to the funny musical interludes in TSWLM, MR and AVTAK.
    I'd have to watch the Flint and Helm films again, but in Our Man Flint, Flint does a high-dive off a cliff to safety. Connery apes the dive, when he escapes the oil-rig in DAF. There's more, especially in Helm, but I'll need to do a Helmathon to re-jig the memory banks. One scene that does ring a bell, is Helm punching a baddie with a steel jaw, which pre-dated Moore's hand-hurting punches to the jaw of Jaws.

• He got picked up with an electro-magnet just like jaws
    craigrules wrote:
    He got picked up with an electro-magnet just like jaws

That's right although he had a steel skullcap. From "Murderer's Row"