'GoldenEye 007: Reloaded' rounds out 2011 with uptick in sales

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited January 2012 in 007 Gaming Posts: 1,380
Despite good reviews and positive word of mouth, Activision's latest James Bond licenced game "GoldenEye 007: Reloaded" did not enjoyed great sales records out of the gate. This may be due in part to the game having been released on the Nintendo Wii a year early, and the 'Reloaded' version launching within days of two videogame juggernauts: "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3" and "Battlefield 3".

However, the Christmas period is usually strong for 007 titles and this year was no exception. Sales were up around 20% week on week during December, with the game shifting almost 50,000 units on the PS3 in the USA, and a further 31,000 in Europe just before the holiday. Over on the Xbox 360, last week's sales were 28,000 units in the USA and almost 20,000 in Europe.

Overall, "GoldenEye 007: Reloaded" is understood to have sold approximately 400,000 copies world wide on PS3, and 250,000 on Xbox 360.

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    More than likely because it was a port of a year old game, and it took every bit of reason to own a Wii away from people who bought one just for GoldenEye.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    More than likely because it was a port of a year old game, and it took every bit of reason to own a Wii away from people who bought one just for GoldenEye.

good thing my patience was rewarded then - because even though its a port... it's a better looking port.

glad i wasn't a sucker who bought a Wii, just for that game.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yeah, better looking, but looks aren't everything, and they can, in fact, be deceiving.
  • Makes sense I was playing earlier and there were much more people on
    Makes sense I was playing earlier and there were much more people on

You are right, last time I played the lobbies were filled with many more players than normal. It's a good game, it deserves to sell well. Hope these sales spikes continue
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 127
    That is good news, and I agree I see a lot more folks online than before. I used to recognize the names of players almost every game now it is not the case. 250,000 sales for XBOX is still pretty bad considering the 6+million copies of COD MW3 that sold within the first week of its release.

One thing I don't understand that could be preventing copies to leave the shelves is the fact that retailers such as Wal Mart, Target, K Mart, etc... still have RELOADED listed at $60 eventhough BF3 and MW3 can be found often in their ads for $40. I can understand if people are going to pick up one of the war games instead, especially since GE:R is a port from Wii and a $60 price tag already seems high. Even during the Black Friday craze BF3, Gears 3, Batman, and other top name titles could be found for $30....yet RELOADED didn't budge one dollar. I know Amazon has recognized the need for a price drop and has RELOADED listed at $40 but the average joe is going to look for their games in store. When they see BF3 and MW3 sitting their at a lower price it is a no brainer. I won't even bring up the HORRIBLE marketing that has been done for RELOADED, or shold I say lact there of.

Overall RELOADED is a pretty solid game with some things that could be addressed on the MP side of things. Even so the foundation is a lot of fun.

I bought a Wii just for Goldeneye and don't regret it one bit, it was a blast. And I don't regret selling my Wii and buying a XBOX for the same reason.
    edited January 2012 Posts: 7,854
    YELARAKA wrote:
    One thing I don't understand that could be preventing copies to leave the shelves is the fact that retailers such as Wal Mart, Target, K Mart, etc... still have RELOADED listed at $60 eventhough BF3 and MW3 can be found often in their ads for $40.

I was just at a Walmart the other day, and Reloaded was $40 one, while MW3 was $60 and BF3 was $55.
    I have yet to see it drop a dollar in stores where I live. Just checked online Wal Mart and still shows $60. I check out BFADS.net a lot for daily deals and have not once seen Reloaded on there unless it is the PS3 sharp shooter bundle for $100. I see BF3, MW3, Gears 3 almost weekly onsale at stores like Best buy, Target, Wal Mart, K Mart, etc.
    Original poster where did you get your info from, just curious.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    @YELARAKA Having covered Bond for 14 years and working closely with the gaming franchise, I think it's safe to say we have our fingers on the pulse of how things are going.
    ok.

• Just reading the first couple of comments. This isn't just some port from the wii. It acutaully was given a new engine for smarter enemies and redesigned levels. That said it still gets a better review on the Wii then anything else.
    I've watched videos of the game, and can find little difference in terms of areas and enemy AI. That said, enemy placement has changed, the HUD is different, and (yes, I've noticed this), how Bond reloads the P99 is completely different.
    Reloaded is slower, worse controls Dual analog or not, not as smooth, a lot of things nerfed, a lot of dumb changes.
    Slower? Really? That's weird. Then again, that's what you get when a game designed for the WiiMote/Wii Zapper/Wii Classic Controller/GameCube Controller gets ported over to the PS3/360.
    Did you ever play the Wii version?? Really fast paced arcade style to it. I would say Fast Forward speed on Reloaded was about the speed on the Wii without having Light Foot on (that was what the run fast perk was called on Wii).

Remote trigger mines were BOSS on Wii and really suck on Reloaded. You could toss them a lot faster and detonate them instantly when you wanted to. Reloaded the whole process is slow as heck and never seems to detonate when you want them to.
    I own the Wii version (anybody who plays it, look for Bandage131, that's me). Yeah, it is kind of fast paced, when you're not coincidentally on the opposite side of the archives from the enemy and the rest of your team.