"The Death of James Bond" by Ian Fleming - How Would He Have Handled It?

LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
edited November 2023 in Fan Creations Posts: 1,430
I was thinking on my criticisms of NTTD again, and all that I would do different, or simply wish was different in some way, and it got me wondering how this forum has yet to seemingly discuss in detail how Fleming would have approached an ultimate end to the character of James Bond, so here we can do that.

Obviously I am aware of the ending of From Russia With Love, perhaps a good starting point for us, where Bond is seemingly left for dead to the reader. Here's the passage:
‘_Au revoir_, Rosa,’ said Bond.

The yellow eyes blazed briefly.

‘Farewell, Mister Bond.’

The boot, with its tiny steel tongue, flashed out.

Bond felt a sharp pain in his right calf. It was only the sort of pain
you would get from a kick. He flinched and stepped back. The two men
seized Rosa Klebb by the arms.

Mathis laughed. ‘My poor James,’ he said, ‘Count on SMERSH to have the
last word.’

The tongue of dirty steel had withdrawn into the leather. Now it was
only a harmless bundle of old woman that was being lifted into the
basket.

Mathis watched the lid being secured. He turned to Bond. ‘It is a good
day’s work you have done, my friend,’ he said. ‘But you look tired. Go
back to the Embassy and have a rest because this evening we must have
dinner together. The best dinner in Paris. And I will find the loveliest
girl to go with it.’

Numbness was creeping up Bond’s body. He felt very cold. He lifted his
hand to brush back the comma of hair over his right eyebrow. There was
no feeling in his fingers. They seemed as big as cucumbers. His hand
fell heavily to his side.

Breathing became difficult. Bond sighed to the depth of his lungs. He
clenched his jaws and half closed his eyes, as people do when they want
to hide their drunkenness.

Through his eyelashes he watched the basket being carried to the door.
He prised his eyes open. Desperately he focused Mathis.

‘I shan’t need a girl, René,’ he said thickly.

Now he had to gasp for breath. Again his hand moved up towards his cold
face. He had an impression of Mathis starting towards him.

Bond felt his knees begin to buckle.

He said, or thought he said, ‘I’ve already got the loveliest . . .’

Bond pivoted slowly on his heel and crashed headlong to the wine-red
floor.

That's all well and good, but we've seen most of that scene already play out in cinema in 1963, just without the ending of Bond collapsing into the carpet. And of course, that's not how Bond ultimately dies for Fleming, at least permanently. Which leaves room to wonder how Fleming would have ultimately done Bond in?

I encourage anyone who is willing to take a crack at their own "ending" to Bond's story, perhaps with the goal of a Fleming approach, and we can all be nice to each other.

Here's some effort from me, with the caveat that I still can't come up with a valid reason for Bond to be in this position, but I presume if we're going to do it, this could be one way.
Bond always found the notion of a guiding light at the end a funny vision for a spy, whose first sober instinct would probably be to shoot at such a thing. The familiar cover and comfort of darkness, will it be so welcoming forever?

Death had come so easy under his hand in the past. Bond suddenly thought of the time ticking by, he could feel the shudder of the seconds in his chest, like a war drum. The next thought was of the gun, which he pressed against the itchy stubble behind his chin. The barrel still warm, oddly reassuring, and all that's left now is a timed breath between the beats and a bend of a finger to scratch the itch. Life may not be so simple, but then death is.

Another segment I thought of:
Bond climbed out of the blazing building into the cold darkness of the night, disheartened to discover he was still alone. The radio must have gone bad, and he hadn't been able to shake the feeling this entire time that help was not on the way. It must be true now. The explosions tore apart the ground behind him. He looked out into the darkness again, to an empty sea, and an empty sky, where even the moon was missing. A new moon, a dark moon, he suddenly thought of the black moon of Solitaire's death card. Would she appreciate that Bond's cycle ends as a new moon cycle begins? He thought of her smile, and he smiled.

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2023 Posts: 14,957
    It's a good idea for a thread, and I think it's something that Fleming may well have got around to to be honest. As you say, he flirted with the idea in FRWL, and by TMWTGG Bond had been through the wringer and wasn't in the best of shape. A Reichenbach-style tragic end feels kind of right for bond (yes I know what happens after Reichenbach!).

Without spoiling it, there's a continuation novel which ends on a slight cliffhanger in terms of Bond's survival and I think that's not a bad end, but I do think Fleming might have gone for a bigger, more certain death.
  • I'd like to think that there would be a chapter details Bond's death, called "The Death of 007" or the "The Death of a Secret Agent" similar to Reflections over a Double Bourbon and a proper reflection of Bond's career, and how he left it all out etc.
    The death wouldn't be brutal, it'd probably be a drowning or something where Bond can it coming as well to set up the chapter of reflection
    If Fleming wanted to kill him off properly, I don't think he'd leave much to interpretation. I think the endings of YOLT and FRWL were written to end the series, but not necessarily to kill Bond and finish him off in a satisfying way.
    Fleming was serious about TMWTGG being the last Bond novel, and its final paragraph was added to the typescript in his own handwriting. I think that paragraph is what he considered an appropriate send-off to his character. He had plenty of opportunities to kill Bond in the past (he even mentioned having the opportunity in TSWLM) and consistently avoided them. So I doubt Fleming would have offed him.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited November 2023 Posts: 1,430
    I'd like to think that there would be a chapter details Bond's death, called "The Death of 007" or the "The Death of a Secret Agent" similar to Reflections over a Double Bourbon and a proper reflection of Bond's career, and how he left it all out etc.
    The death wouldn't be brutal, it'd probably be a drowning or something where Bond can it coming as well to set up the chapter of reflection
    If Fleming wanted to kill him off properly, I don't think he'd leave much to interpretation. I think the endings of YOLT and FRWL were written to end the series, but not necessarily to kill Bond and finish him off in a satisfying way.

I like this approach, something that gives Bond a moment of reflection, like when he's "drowning" in the title sequence of Skyfall. And yes, I suppose Fleming hedged his bets on ending Bond a few times, but never fully committed. Smart businessman.
    Revelator wrote: »
    Fleming was serious about TMWTGG being the last Bond novel, and its final paragraph was added to the typescript in his own handwriting. I think that paragraph is what he considered an appropriate send-off to his character. He had plenty of opportunities to kill Bond in the past (he even mentioned having the opportunity in TSWLM) and consistently avoided them. So I doubt Fleming would have offed him.

I was hoping this thread would attract you, Rev! An interesting take. I do think Fleming must have toyed with the notion even if he ultimately had his reasons for keeping Bond alive, or not completely dead. We must also consider that, for an author to kill his creation, he must face his own mortality, and given the fairly unexpected/premature death of Fleming, I think he may just not have gotten around to it completely yet, imo. But I respect your take and see that approach too. Fleming was a smart guy who seemingly liked an easy check. I do think Fleming might have run out of ideas if he'd kept going, which may have also worked him into a finale.

I plan on fleshing this thread out more with any writings or interviews Fleming may have done on the topic of death/mortality/afterlife etc. just to see if there's anything interesting to add.

Thank you, @mtm @Reflsin2bourbons @Revelator for your comments!

I've yet to read TMWTGG in full (sorry), but here's the snippet of the very end of the last chapter for thread reference:
    Mary Goodnight closed her book with a snap. She shook her head. The golden hair danced angrily. "Well really, James! Are you sure you don't want to sleep on it? I knew you were in a bad mood today. You may have changed your mind by tomorrow. Don't you want to go to Buckingham Palace and see the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh and kneel and have your shoulder touched with a sword and the Queen to say 'Arise, Sir Knight' or whatever it is she does say?"

Bond smiled. "I'd like all those things. The romantic streak of the S.I.S.--and of the Scot, for the matter of that. I just refuse to call myself Sir James Bond. I'd laugh at myself every time I looked in the mirror to shave. It's just not my line, Mary. The thought makes me positively shudder. I know M.'ll understand. He thinks much the same way about these things as I do. Trouble was, he had to more or less inherit his K with the job. Anyway, there it is and I shan't change my mind, so you can buzz that off, and I'll write M. a letter of confirmation this evening. Any other business?"

"Well there is one thing, James." Mary Goodnight looked down her pretty nose. "Matron says you can leave at the end of the week, but that there's got to be another three weeks' convalescence. Had you got any plans where to go? You have to be in reach of the hospital."

"No ideas. What do you suggest?"

"Well, er, I've got this little villa up by Mona Dam, James." Her voice hurried. "It's got quite a nice spare room looking out over Kingston Harbour. And it's cool up there. And if you don't mind sharing a bathroom." She blushed. "I'm afraid there's no chaperone, but you know, in Jamaica, people don't mind that sort of thing."

"What sort of thing?" said Bond, teasing her.

"Don't be silly, James. You know, unmarried couples sharing the same house and so on."

"Oh that sort of thing! Sounds pretty dashing to me. By the way, is your bedroom decorated in pink, with white jalousies, and do you sleep under a mosquito net?"

She looked surprised. "Yes. How did you know?" When he didn't answer, she hurried on. "And James, it's not far from the Liguanea Club, and you can go there and play bridge, and golf when you get better. There'll be plenty of people for you to talk to. And then of course I can cook and sew buttons on for you and so on."

Of all the doom-fraught graffiti a woman can write on the wall, those are the most insidious, the most deadly.

James Bond, in the full possession of his senses, with his eyes wide open, his feet flat on the linoleum floor, stuck his head blithely between the mink-lined jaws of the trap. He said, and meant it, "Goodnight. You're an angel."

At the same time, he knew, deep down, that love from Mary Goodnight, or from any other woman, was not enough for him. It would be like taking "a room with a view." For James Bond, the same view would always pall.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,900
    I mean, I don't know the ins and outs of Fleming's exact thoughts on wanting to kill Bond off, but there's definitely a preoccupation with stuff like fate, death, and rebirth in the later novels. In FRWL there's all these elaborate little foreboding signifiers of death (ie. the storm as Bond travels to Istanbul, the fact that he travels on Friday the 13th, the fact that so much of the novel is focused on the plan to kill Bond etc) which obviously feeds into the ending. DN is in turn a book about Bond coming back with his confidence shaken after this near death experience, but ultimately culminates in him beating the Doctor's 'unbeatable' death maze.

It's definitely there in YOLT and TMWTGG. Bond slowly recovers from his PTSD in the former novel through his interactions with other characters and his travels across Japan, and with his presumed death/amnesia essentially gets a new life. Obviously though the fate element of Bond always being roped back into the spy game comes into play and he travels to Russia, and TMWTGG is about Bond redeeming himself as an agent.

I suppose it makes sense. From what I understand Fleming was suffering from ill health around this time (not that it matters beyond - nothing does beyond the books themselves).

It seems to me the books would never have resulted in Bond dying. He's always doomed to come back to MI6, never able to get that happy life. One thing I will say about NTTD is that all those Fleming elements were there in regards to Bond's death.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'd like to think he'd have handled it appropriately, then again Fleming did have a knack for just wrapping things up quickly (see Moonraker) so who knows
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited November 2023 Posts: 3,390
    One thing is for sure, he would not kill Bond explicitly like how it does in No Time To Die.

Maybe he would've make it vague or uncertain, just left to audiences imagination, but to kill him like he's clear that he's gone kind of thing, I doubt it, and I don't see Bond giving up either, I know Bond is naive, fragile and emotionally vulnerable, but to have himself just give up? I don't think so.

I mean in that Dr. No obstacle course, we've seen how Bond fought for his life, he always did, he might be bored of his life, but he's the man who didn't want to die, he wanted one thing, and that's to live peacefully with someone, but not to die, even in the From Russia With Love book, even he's close to dying, I've felt in Fleming's descriptions that dying was not in Bond's mind, he's not prepared to die, but it's the death who chases him, if he's going to die, it might be abrupt or unexpected, and again, not as explicit.

He's the man who always finds a way to survive, he did that many times in the books, often sometimes being saved by luck.

James Bond hated his job, but he couldn't escape from it, but that doesn't mean he's going to give up when put in some deadly situations.
  • I reread Moonraker recently, and I think NTTD could have done the death scene much better by mimicking it in some respects. In Moonraker, before Brand proposes changing the gyros, Bond has it set that he'll smoke a cigarette while the rocket launches, blowing up himself and saving London.
    Imagine the powerful scene: Bond takes off his jacket, carefully takes out a cigarette, checks the mechanism of the Walther, and lights it to incineration.
    That should be how Bond dies in the cinema: it's his choice, and it's to save millions, and even in classy in death
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    One thing is for sure, he would not kill Bond explicitly like how it does in No Time To Die.

None of it's for sure, no; we're all guessing.
    I reread Moonraker recently, and I think NTTD could have done the death scene much better by mimicking it in some respects. In Moonraker, before Brand proposes changing the gyros, Bond has it set that he'll smoke a cigarette while the rocket launches, blowing up himself and saving London.
    Imagine the powerful scene: Bond takes off his jacket, carefully takes out a cigarette, checks the mechanism of the Walther, and lights it to incineration.
    That should be how Bond dies in the cinema: it's his choice, and it's to save millions, and even in classy in death

That's nice. I don't think it's a million miles from what we did get, but I can certainly imagine him lighting Felix's cigar at the end, not bad.

LucknFate wrote: »
    I like this approach, something that gives Bond a moment of reflection, like when he's "drowning" in the title sequence of Skyfall. And yes, I suppose Fleming hedged his bets on ending Bond a few times, but never fully committed. Smart businessman.

It's a complete tangent, but I've been reading about the riches of the Fleming family recently thanks to the bank his grandfather started, and 007 is really peanuts next to the immense wealth generated from that- so I'm not sure he was such a great businessman! :D
    mtm wrote: »

Well, he attempted to put an end on Bond many times, in FRWL and in YOLT for example, but none are as explicit as Bond literally being killed off, as in no chance of coming back, like what they've done to Bond in NTTD.

I know you're a fan of NTTD, so I respect that, but based on those books that I've mentioned, I'm not sure Fleming would've explicitly killed him off, maybe in a vague way of leaving it to audiences speculation, but one could see the chance of him being revived for the next novel, a chance for him to survive.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2023 Posts: 14,957

Well, he attempted to put an end on Bond many times, in FRWL and in YOLT for example, but none are as explicit as Bond literally being killed off, as in no chance of coming back, like what they've done to Bond in NTTD.

Sure, but he didn't get to the point where he was fully done with it when he wrote those. Who knows, if he'd lived long enough he might well have decided to draw a line under it once and for all.
    (And maybe he'd have called it that too :) I can't remember who suggested Once And For All as a title but I still like it!)

Sure, but he didn't get to the point where he was fully done with it when he wrote those. Who knows, if he'd lived long enough he might well have decided to draw a line under it once and for all.
    (And maybe he'd have called it that too :) I can't remember who suggested Once And For All as a title but I still like it!)

Fleming wrote Bond, as for me, a revivable character, sure, he sometimes put a vague end to him, a cliffhanger one, but he make sure that he could able to make Bond return in the next book without any questions regarding what happened to the previous book.
    That's why he usually kept it vague, so when Fleming (in case) decided to bring Bond back, he would have no problem on how to revive him for the next book, well, Bond is just a one character in the books, unlike in the films where (cough, cough) Craig is meant to be looked as a separate era from others.