Would you rather have Tee Hee OR Dr. No serve you dinner?

Comments

• mtm wrote: »

I do think, counter intuitively, that Roger had the more dramatic stuff to work with as Bond.

Moore was a lot more versatile than people gave him credit for, and I think Octopussy best showcases that.

As for the question, I’ll flip the switch and say that I’d love to see Moore in Diamonds are Forever. I’d love to see banter between Moore’s Bond and Gray’s Blofeld, and him facing off against Wint and Kidd.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    When you look at the range of films and stories that Moore had as Bond. While there was no "character arc" (buzzword of today!) for his Bond, he did some very different things with the role. In some senses this reduces the continuity of his character to some degree and they truly become more stand-alone.

LALD a mix of the fantastical and the reality. First time Bond encounters a super-natural foe.
    TMTWGG serious in places and downright silly in others
    Spy a BIG large adventure with huge set pieces and a global scale adventure
    MR Spy on steroids! Way OTT
    FYEO a grounded adventure with low stakes
    OP a mix between Eyes and Spy? Or is it eyes with larger stakes
    AVTAK back to the outrageous adventures of the first few Moore films

Dalton's Bond was played the same in both movies, straight. Brosnan was played more along the lines of Spy or MR. Craig, well his was rather straight on blunt instrument with some mellow drama thrown in. Connery I suppose is the closest to Moore in terms of how his character was portrayed on the screen.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited September 2023 Posts: 3,262
    thedove wrote: »
    Would you rather a Roger Moore DAF OR a Sean Connery TMWTGG

Pause your logic, based on the film we got can you see the new actor doing a better job with the script? Which one would become a better film with a different actor? Only consider changing the actor playing Bond. Assume same script, same cast and such.

Tell us what would you rather Roger in DAF or Sean in TMWTGG?

Per those guidelines I would say Sean in TMWTGG mainly for the 003 following reasons:

001) Sean vs. Christopher Lee sounds more interesting than Roger vs. Charles Gray.

002) I don't think Jill St. John's Tiffany Case would've had worked as well onscreen with Moore's "Peter Franks" as she did with Connery's.

003) Perhaps most importantly after the first 5 Connery films and 1 Lazenby one with a tragic ending I wonder if the public would've taken to "The Saint" taking over the role of Bond in a more comical, Matt Helm-style Bond film without Connery having returned to make that kind of Bond film first.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited September 2023 Posts: 3,393
    Diamonds Are Forever for me should've starred Lazenby and make it a revenge sequel to OHMSS instead, not Moore or Connery.

So in this regard, I'd be interested to see Connery in The Man With The Golden Gun go up against Christopher Lee's Scaramanga, but I'm afraid that the goofy bits of the film wouldn't likely to work with him in the role (like the Kung Fu/Martial Arts bits, and even that car stunt with a slide whistle, or Bond pinching a sumo wrestler's butt or even his seduction of Saida which for me comes off as a bit goofy too), many people are saying that they've made Roger Moore a bit like Connery's Bond in this film, but for me, it's not, they've made Moore a comical, yet annoying childish brat in this film, and that's not Connery's Bond at least.

But if the film is more suited to Connery Bond, without any of the dated goofy parts of the film, it would've worked.

And having Moore to do DAF (which was set in 1971) means no The Persuaders, so a strong no, I just couldn't imagine a world without my favorite show.
    Moore’s Bond TMWTGG is one of my favorites. I find Connery in the DAF to fall pretty much (he’s noticeably detached in YOLT) at the bottom of his outing.

Hence, I’d rather see Roger in DAF.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Moore’s Bond TMWTGG is one of my favorites. I find Connery in the DAF to fall pretty much (he’s noticeably detached in YOLT) at the bottom of his outing.

Hence, I’d rather see Roger in DAF.

I agree, but just have this thought now, if Moore would be in DAF (which was made in 1971), and if it would be the means for losing The Persuaders (which is a show I loved), I'd rather not to.
    Per those guidelines I would say Sean in TMWTGG mainly for the 003 following reasons:

003) Perhaps most importantly after the first 5 Connery films and 1 Lazenby one with a tragic ending I wonder if the public would've taken to "The Saint" taking over the role of Bond in a more comical, Matt Helm-style Bond film without Connery having returned to make that kind of Bond film first.

I'd add the 004th reason: There would be no The Persuaders, I still prefer the reality where Moore made that show, it's one of my favorites.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Connery's great in DAF, he puts in more of a comedic, playful performance. I wouldn't want to change that. Moore has mostly very good memorable moments in GG, but occasionally his tone seems a bit off/odd; a bit inconsistent. Difficult to see either actor switch films, but I'll go with Sean in GG.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2023 Posts: 15,017
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    So in this regard, I'd be interested to see Connery in The Man With The Golden Gun go up against Christopher Lee's Scaramanga, but I'm afraid that the goofy bits of the film wouldn't likely to work with him in the role (like the Kung Fu/Martial Arts bits, and even that car stunt with a slide whistle, or Bond pinching a sumo wrestler's butt or even his seduction of Saida which for me comes off as a bit goofy too)

Oh I don’t think the Sean of YOLT and DAF would have any issue with those bits: he’s just a comedic as Roger, and generally more cartoonish, really. Oddly it’s the more dramatic bits of TMWTGG I struggle seeing his Bond do more than those, but there aren’t many.
    It’s funny: I don’t think there’s any of Sean’s films that Roger couldn’t have done (I’m not saying he’d have been as good, but there’s little his characterisation would be uncomfortable with), whereas I’m not sure I could see Sean’s cartoony Bond doing some of the 80s stuff. Even the Bond of NSNA is a bit more of a thinly sketched gag machine than the contemporary Bond of Octopussy, who gives a few whiffs of past regret and a bit more of a mature relationship with Op herself. So weirdly I’d say that Roger might’ve been the more versatile 007 of the two!
    mtm wrote: »
    So in this regard, I'd be interested to see Connery in The Man With The Golden Gun go up against Christopher Lee's Scaramanga, but I'm afraid that the goofy bits of the film wouldn't likely to work with him in the role (like the Kung Fu/Martial Arts bits, and even that car stunt with a slide whistle, or Bond pinching a sumo wrestler's butt or even his seduction of Saida which for me comes off as a bit goofy too)

Oh I don’t think the Sean of YOLT and DAF would have any issue with those bits: he’s just a comedic as Roger, and generally more cartoonish, really. Oddly it’s the more dramatic bits of TMWTGG I struggle seeing his Bond do more than those, but there aren’t many.
    It’s funny: I don’t think there’s any of Sean’s films that Roger couldn’t have done (I’m not saying he’d have been as good, but there’s little his characterisation would be uncomfortable with), whereas I’m not sure I could see Sean’s cartoony Bond doing some of the 80s stuff. Even the Bond of NSNA is a bit more of a thinly sketched gag machine than the contemporary Bond of Octopussy, who gives a few whiffs of past regret and a bit more of a mature relationship with Op herself. So weirdly I’d say that Roger might’ve been the more versatile 007 of the two!

But the comedic bits in TMWTGG were to say, too far, really.
    Can you imagine Sean's Bond in that Karate School scenes? Or pinching a Sumo Wrestler's butt? That would've been too far from Sean's Bond.

I could almost see Sean's Bond at least having a bit of dignity not doing those 😅
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I can see Sean in both of those scenes. They're not that far off from DAF.

I vote for Sean in TMWTGG.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Can you imagine Sean's Bond in that Karate School scenes? Or pinching a Sumo Wrestler's butt?

Yeah, really easily. Can you imagine him throwing a flask of his own urine into a baddie's face and then doing a comedy double-take? It's all in his Bond's wheelhouse.
    I don't think he even does anything silly in the Karate School anyway.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Can you imagine Sean's Bond in that Karate School scenes? Or pinching a Sumo Wrestler's butt? That would've been too far from Sean's Bond.

I could almost see Sean's Bond at least having a bit of dignity not doing those 😅

You do realise that such scenes are scripted, and only rarely do directors allow an actor ad-lib or play a scene differently than what's in the script.
    Whilst the Karate school scene is played for a laugh when Hip's nieces show up, Bond himself doesn't let the scene down, or embarrass himself.
    @mtm How do you distinguish between comedic and cartoonish?
    CrabKey wrote: »

Exactly.
    Of course, Connery Bond had his shares of comedy scenes, it's not out of the character, yes even the urine scene in NSNA, it's funny, but not out of character.

But those scenes in TMWTGG, it felt already out of character, like Bond pinching a sumo wrestler's butt? Bond choking up the bullet from Saida's navel? Or Bond in a Karate robe taking up martial arts? Just far too over the top.

Sure there's the Asian teachings in YOLT, but the way it's executed, it's meant to be serious, it's not outlandish or over the top, even the way Bond reacted to those scenes, it's still natural or serious, not exaggerated.

Meanwhile, those scenes in TMWTGG were obviously no threat, no danger at all, and those things are already far from Bond, out of character, yes, simply cartoonish, those things are out of Bond's depth, it's no different to going in space kind of thing in Moonraker, or doing that Tarzan Yell and literally telling a tiger to sit in Octopussy, even that car stunt in TMWTGG had that cartoonish slide whistle.

Connery's Bond had his shares of humor and comedy, but not exaggerated as Moore's Bond doing those scenes, not outlandish or over the top, where there's no presence of seriousness.

Like what I've said, I'd be interested to see Connery doing The Man With The Golden Gun against Christopher Lee's Scaramanga, as long as the over the top bits are toned down.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Exactly.
    Of course, Connery Bond had his shares of comedy scenes, it's not out of the character, yes even the urine scene in NSNA, it's funny, but not out of character.

But those scenes in TMWTGG, it felt already out of character, like Bond pinching a sumo wrestler's butt? Bond choking up the bullet from Saida's navel? Or Bond in a Karate robe taking up martial arts? Just far too over the top.

He can't wear a karate suit? I'm not really seeing your limits here.
    He squeezed the guy's bum to try and beat him... I don't really see how this is more unacceptable than the urine-flinging gag and subsequent reaction.

It seems there's so much in the Bond films that you find unacceptable that it's quite hard to keep up with! :)
    Sure there's the Asian teachings in YOLT, but the way it's executed, it's meant to be serious, it's not outlandish or over the top, even the way Bond reacted to those scenes, it's still natural or serious, not exaggerated.

Meanwhile, those scenes in TMWTGG were obviously no threat, no danger at all, and those things are already far from Bond, out of character, yes, simply cartoonish, those things are out of Bond's depth, it's no different to going in space kind of thing in Moonraker, or doing that Tarzan Yell and literally telling a tiger to sit in Octopussy, even that car stunt in TMWTGG had that cartoonish slide whistle.

Connery's Bond had his shares of humor and comedy, but not exaggerated as Moore's Bond doing those scenes, not outlandish or over the top, where there's no presence of seriousness.

Did you think the jetpack was serious, out of interest?

Exactly.

He squeezed the guy's bum to try and beat him... I don't really see how this is more unacceptable than the urine-flinging gag and subsequent reaction.

It seems there's so much in the Bond films that you find unacceptable that it's quite hard to keep up with! :)

Well, I'm answering to @CrabKey's post.

It's in the way it's executed, the urine scene in NSNA was executed in a serious way, that there's a danger, both of these characters are serious, and even the atmosphere of that scene is serious.

Meanwhile, Bond pinching a sumo wrestler's butt is executed in a comic way that the sumo wrestler flipped Bond up, and Bond pinched his butt (yes, with that close up shot), there's even Nick Nack disguised as a statue in there, it's meant to be comic and fun, not serious and no threat at all.

Okay, I do guarantee you Bond in a jetpack in TB, but still not over the top or outlandish as anything in the Moore Era (it's like the Aston Martin with gadgets in Goldfinger).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Exactly.

Well, I'm answering to @CrabKey's post.

It's in the way it's executed, the urine scene in NSNA was executed in a serious way, that there's a danger, both of these characters are serious, and even the atmosphere of that scene is serious.

I must've been watching a different scene! :D
    Meanwhile, Bond pinching a sumo wrestler's butt is executed in a comic way that the sumo wrestler flipped Bond up, and Bond pinched his butt (yes, with that close up shot), there's even Nick Nack disguised as a statue in there, it's meant to be comic and fun, not serious and no threat at all.

It's a bit light, but also Nick Nack is about to kill Bond, which is as serious as an assassin stopping to watch a football game in a health spa as he attacks a spy.
    Okay, I do guarantee you Bond in a jetpack in TB, but still not over the top or outlandish as anything in the Moore Era (it's like the Aston Martin with gadgets in Goldfinger).

Sure, totally normal and 'serious' to find jetpacks lying around :))
    Surely it's about the tone and execution. Yes there were outlandish and "silly" scenes during Connery's tenure, but they were mostly done with a straight face. Even the jet pack scene. The sumo wrestlers scene in TMWTGG is done in a comedic manner. The martial art school scene is pretty serious and not devoid of tension, until the college girls show up. That's my issue with TMWTGG: too much comedy spoils the film and gets in the way of everything else.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

I must've been watching a different scene! :D

I like NSNA. But I always liked it because it was an obvious spoof (and every critic and Bond fan felt that way in 1983, and most preferred it over its direct competitor OP, by the way), with cast and crew actively deconstructing everything that was serious about Bond (at least most of the time). And the urine sample scene was as far out satirically and ironically as anything in the movie. Maybe one could take the fight serious until then, but everybody laughed their butts off when the henchman was knocked out by basically being pissed on. That was the end of seriousness there.
    It was a jetpack, not jetpacks lying around. It had obviously been planted ahead of time in anticipation of Bond needing a quick escape. It is consistent with other gadgets Q Branch foresees Bond will need. The bit didn't work for me as the time it would take to strap on and fire up would have been cutting it too close in real life. But this is a Bond film. No matter which Bond we are speaking of, there have been plenty of those kinds of scenes that strain credibility.

As to SC coming across as cartoonish, no! For me the Moore series has always been Bond-lite. More obvious humor than the Connery series and far more silliness. But again all a matter of opinion.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    I'd rather have Moore in DAF since Connery was checked out of the role and wasn't exuding Bond's sophistication anymore. Also, I'd hate to loose Moore's performance in TMWTGG.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Surely it's about the tone and execution. Yes there were outlandish and "silly" scenes during Connery's tenure, but they were mostly done with a straight face. Even the jet pack scene. The sumo wrestlers scene in TMWTGG is done in a comedic manner. The martial art school scene is pretty serious and not devoid of tension, until the college girls show up. That's my issue with TMWTGG: too much comedy spoils the film and gets in the way of everything else.

I don't disagree that the karate girls bit is a touch naff- in fact I don't even mind them (and it's not all that far removed from Bambi & Thumper): the bit that annoys me is where Hip drives off without Bond: that's just a touch too much stupid for me. I think that may be the most spoofy and dumb Bond has gone, in fact.
    But I'm not sure Connery always did it straight face. There's much more in DAF which is outwardly silly, but you're not supposed to be taking much of TB or YOLT seriously, I'd say.
    slide_99 wrote: »
    I'd rather have Moore in DAF since Connery was checked out of the role and wasn't exuding Bond's sophistication anymore. Also, I'd hate to loose Moore's performance in TMWTGG.

I actually think he checked back in in DAF if anything: he was giving a proper performance (unlike in YOLT)- it was just a more comedic one. He was earning a million, don't forget: I think he probably felt that he should be properly engaged in the work for that. And it wasn't really a million miles from his previous Bond stuff, just leaning on the wink-to-camera a touch more.
    I think you can probably draw a line from Connery in DAF, to Roger, to stuff like Burt Reynolds in Smokey and Cannonball.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    $1.25M for DAF, isn't that what Connery earned? If an actors pay was based on their performance, then he'd have been paid 50p (or what the equivalent would have been in 1971 $$'s). Moore at least would have been in better shape, and look like he wanted to be there.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    $1.25M for DAF, isn't that what Connery earned? If an actors pay was based on their performance, then he'd have been paid 50p (or what the equivalent would have been in 1971 $$'s). Moore at least would have been in better shape, and look like he wanted to be there.

That's pretty harsh. If there was a Bond film Connery deserved 50p for appearing in it was NSNA.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Roger Moore in DAF, obviously.
    If Connery had made TMWTGG in '74, then we might have missed out on this...
    9zepbsyczkhk.jpg
    Benny wrote: »
    Roger Moore in DAF, obviously.
    If Connery had made TMWTGG in '74, then we might have missed out on this...
    9zepbsyczkhk.jpg
    You really liked this film? @Benny? 😅
    Connery in TMWTGG, still:

In 1971:
    A.) Lazenby should be doing Diamonds Are Forever as a revenge sequel to OHMSS (with Savalas reprising his role as Blofeld, Gabrielle Ferzetti returning as Draco, and a recast actress as Irma Bunt).

And.....

B.) While Moore was still doing The Persuaders, before taking over as Bond in 1973 (as it is), the only thing I would change is Felix Leiter in LALD would be played by Tony Curtis instead (sorry, David Hedison, but I just prefer the former, more better chemistry and banter with Moore).
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 14,845
    Ludovico wrote: »

I don't disagree that the karate girls bit is a touch naff- in fact I don't even mind them (and it's not all that far removed from Bambi & Thumper): the bit that annoys me is where Hip drives off without Bond: that's just a touch too much stupid for me. I think that may be the most spoofy and dumb Bond has gone, in fact.
    But I'm not sure Connery always did it straight face. There's much more in DAF which is outwardly silly, but you're not supposed to be taking much of TB or YOLT seriously, I'd say.
    slide_99 wrote: »

I actually think he checked back in in DAF if anything: he was giving a proper performance (unlike in YOLT)- it was just a more comedic one. He was earning a million, don't forget: I think he probably felt that he should be properly engaged in the work for that. And it wasn't really a million miles from his previous Bond stuff, just leaning on the wink-to-camera a touch more.
    I think you can probably draw a line from Connery in DAF, to Roger, to stuff like Burt Reynolds in Smokey and Cannonball.
    I said most of Connery, that would exclude DAF as a whole, which is pretty much all spoof except for some of the PTS. Maybe I should have specified the early Connery. In any case, DAF was full on self parody. But I will always say that Sean Connery was the only one to sell it. I don't think any other actor would have been accepted in it.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Before this goes fully off the cliff, lets change it up! I am glad that the would you rather sparked such discussion and who doesn't love the jet pack interjecting itself into the discussion!

Lets dive into the literary world for this next one. We have had Anthony Horowitz finish all 3 continuation novels in different stages of the Fleming Bond time period. Last year Charlie Higson came out with a novella in conjunction with the new King and the coronation! He set his Bond in modern times and gave us a cracking good yarn.

So dear Mi6 Community

Would you rather the next Bond continuation novel be set in Fleming era or modern era?
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Modern day. Fleming didn't write the character as a period piece in his time. Certain characters from the old stories could work well in the modern era as well.