Would you rather have Tee Hee OR Dr. No serve you dinner?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A disappointing Brandy with Col Smithers

Better make that two.

Although, when I think of Richard Vernon, I think of him more as Sir Desmond Glazebrook.
    I'd ho for the brandy too.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Okay that was fun, looks like brandy ruled the choice! That Youtube clip was hilarious! Thanks for the laughs!

Would you rather Bond takes to the slopes OR heads back underwater?

We have had some memorable action on the snowy slopes. OHMSS and FYEO spring to mind. In more recent times we have had Bond on the slopes in TWINE. But since TWINE our man hasn't been on skis for an action sequence. Yes he was in the snow for SP but he was in boots.

Meanwhile underwater Bond has been featured a number of times. TB, FYEO and LTK spring to mind. I liked the action in LTK with the water ski aspect added. Bond dived underwater in TWINE in a nuclear sub. Daniel's Bond never donned scuba gear but had a few boat chases.

I think it's time to base some action on either environment. What would you rather? Bond in action on the slopes OR Bond donning scuba and diving under the water?
  • Personally I’ve always found most of the underwater scenes in Bond to be a bit bland, so I’ll go for the slopes!
    Really tough one. I happen to love both, even the scene in TWINE that were rather lacklustre (or so I read, I rather enjoyed them). Right now I'd say I'd rather have underwater sequences: we've had less of them overall (or is that just an impression?) and we haven't had a proper one recently. TND's was too short.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    SCUBA, because there have been so many ski sequences, and I feel like there isn't much more to be done there.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    It's been a while since we've had a skiing sequence and I'd be tempted to see what could be done today.

I guess it's also been a while since we've had a proper underwater action scene, but I think that stuff needs to be kept to a minimum. LTK probably has the best underwater action in the series, although I'd also give SF a mention, as brief as that scene was.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    They could do some stuff.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I like both to be fair. However, you can really get a sense of speed when Bond is on skis. You don’t get that with underwater action.
    So skiing for me.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 2,970
    Personally, I think we've yet to see a truly great, cinematic scuba sequence in Bond. Parts of the underwater scenes in the TB novel, for example, are actually quite nightmarish and vivid when you read them (I'm thinking in particular when Bond goes down to uncover the plane). I'm not sure if the films have been able to quite do underwater sequences justice, and a big part of it is practical limitations which modern filming techniques/special effects might be able to improve upon. That and we have quite a few great ski sequences, particularly in OHMSS.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Bond heads back underwater

I think underwater action(particularly TB's) tends to get underrated by contemporary viewers. We've already had a plethora on snow scenes in the series.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited September 2023 Posts: 1,006
    Both!! FYEO could be a great template for Bond 26. Let’s throw rock climbing in too.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I'm hanging for both types of scene, but I'll go with underwater. Technical advancements would have been made in what you can do underwater and how you can film it.
    Both are overdue for a return. I am surprised that MI hasn't mined the skiing environment yet. But I guess Tom doesn't hanker for jumping on skis.

Lets dive into another would you rather topic. This one will perhaps see if gentlemen prefer blondes.

We have a rare case where 2 films feature the same female leading lady character. I am talking about Domino! Featured in TB and NSNA. One is a brunette while the other a blonde.

Who would you rather spend a day with, Domino from TB OR Domino from NSNA?

Domino from TB was known for her love of conch chowder, her swooning on the dance floor and for her harpoon gun work. Domino from NSNA loved a good massage, was a dancer of some renown and was also handy with a harpoon gun. Both danced with our man, watched on as he gambled against Largo, and ended up with Bond at the end of the film. So who would you rather spend the day with in Bahamas?
    Thunderball.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Imagine this will be a clean sweep with Derval over Petachi.
    Derval for me and can I spend the night with her as well.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 12,280
    TB Domino, easy. One of my favorite Bond girls.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Definitely Domino Derval from TB over Vicki Vale Domino Petachi.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Fatima blush was better :)>-
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    nbswbxwuw3eo.jpg

TB Domino, with considerable ease I might add.
    Basinger grew into her looks and acting abilities. In NSNA she's just an attractive blonde.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    As much as Basinger was one of the too few good things about NSNA, i'm going with Auger.
    TB Domino. For the day AND the night. Seriously it's not even a competition.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 6,677
    Auger, all day all night. Every day, every night.
    i must admit that I have a very soft spot for my dear un-co-operative Domino. Spending the day with her would have been an utter delight. So I guess we are seeing a sweep!

Lets move on to a rare occurrence of a villain, or should I say a villainous character, who appeared twice in a series. No only the same character, but the same actor portrayed the same character.

So my dear Mi6 Community members here is goes:

Would you rather watch the second film to feature Jaws MR OR the second film to feature Mr. White QOS?

Both characters have their fans. Their second turn wasn't maybe as well loved as the first turn. I am curious how this might go. One film is a grounded film and the other is literally out of this world.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    QOS.
  • Richard Kiel, because - it's Moonraker. The latter still remains one of the most exuberant titles of the entire series. Maybe in retrospect bringing Jaws back after TSWLM wasn't the best idea and the second turn was played entirely for humor, but the fact again it's Moonraker, beats the other contender hands down.

Could have featured Laurence Olivier or Orson Welles in QOS and it wouldn't have saved or improved an essentially failed release within the franchise.

QOS for me - an underrated gem of the franchise. Its brevity and fast action give it a ton of rewatchability for me. MR is still on the lower end of my rankings, though it’s got great redeeming qualities like the music and cinematography.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Both top ten Bond movies for me for very different reasons, I wonder who was next on Drax's list when Rent a Henchman Inc. was called.

White in QoS gets my vote.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited September 2023 Posts: 3,393
    Moonraker is one of my favorite Bond films, but unpopular opinion as it may sound here, I'm not a fan of the Jaws character, really, I just don't mind him that much, I don't find him threatening nor menacing, he's more of a fun character whom just wants to mess around Bond (yes, even in The Spy Who Loved Me, I just don't feel any danger when he's around, just not a fan of him).
    Iconic for sure, but he's in the same impression as Pleasance's Blofeld for me, iconic, but lacking any quality that they should have (the menace, danger and threat).

So, Mr. White in Quantum of Solace for me, I think this is where Mr. White was at his best, and I'm rather fond of this film really, I think it's a decent Bond film far better than the last two from Craig's Bond, I think Quantum of Solace had an interesting concept and potential, and Mr. White is one of the interesting aspects of the Craig Era for me, so I'd have to go with Mr. White in Quantum of Solace.

(I thought at first it's SPECTRE, and I'm torn and conflicted, because I'm not a fan of that film and what they've done to Mr. White in there, but when I saw Quantum of Solace, no question, I really picked this one).